“Superb Italian in Merida!”

Oliva Kitchen & Bar
Ranked #7 of 818 Restaurants in Merida
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 14, 2014

We've been in Merida for a week and just found this place by searching tripadvisor! Incredible food, as good as anyplace we've eaten in Italy. Very friendly owner/chef is evidently from Rome and knows what he is doing! Service was also fantastic. Walked in about 6:00 and was told, very nicely, that they don't open until 7:00. Came back at 7:00 and he thanked us for returning! His fiancé is very friendly and speaks excellent English. Fairly short wine list, but very good choices. Had a phenomenal asparagus appetizer and barely had room for dessert, but the crème brulee was about the best I've ever had! Another review said they don't take credit cards, but they accepted MC with no problem. Don't leave Merida without having dinner here!

Reviewed June 9, 2014

First, this is a SMALL, charming, Italian restaurant in the historic section of Merida...A 5 minute walk from my wonderful B&B, Villa Tievoli!! Wanting something different from Yucatecan food, and after reading the fabulous reviews, I was pleasantly surprised, when at 7:45pm, I wandered in to find several tables open. The gracious Melissa, seated me at a cozy table for 2 in the back corner...Never having been there before, and explaining that I work at Clint Eastwood's private golf club, Tehama, in the food and beverage dept., she sent over the chef; also her fiancee!! After going over most of the fabulous pasta dishes, I chose the squid ink fettucine, (house made) with 8 nice size prawns, in an incredible cream sauce; but very light.... I started with the Verde Salad... a nice size salad with fresh beets and bacon bits and lots of spinach and avocado.... Housemade foccacia....wonderful... treated myself to a bottle of Tempranillo... No room for desserts but they looked fantastic... but had to have a double espresso!!! I have only 2 more days left in this beautiful, colonial, Mexican city.... I WILL be back... Lunch from 12-4... Dinner from 7-11... I think closed Sunday......Buen Provecho!!!!

Reviewed June 5, 2014

We have eaten at Oliva at least a dozen times since it opened and every one has been excellent. Just returning to Merida, we had dinner with a friend and were so pleased to see it is as great as always. You are welcomed back with smiles and a warm greeting as we set at the small bar and selected a wine while our table was prepared. We alwasys share a salad, and our favorite is the Santorini, ripe tomatoes, kalamata olives, fresh romaine, feta and shaved parm, and blanched baby green beans! Again, we had the lasagna, a hard choice since the homemade pasta dishes are so great! We have only had room for dessert once, the servings are more then adequate! It is small, and you may have to wait and a bit noisy due to its size, but just go with the flow. We understand expansion is in the works, just so it doent get too large!

Reviewed June 5, 2014

We returned once again after returning to Merida and once again the restaurant is excellent. The chef/owner is always glad to see you again and with a sincere thank you for coming. The food is always first rate. Try the santorini salad, a take on a greek or turkish salad with the addition of blanced harcot verts, A light fresh dressing of olive oil and lemon with herbs. Be sure to share if you are having an entree! I had the lasagna, it is the best in Merida, a mix of pork and beef, it is light in texture and the tomato sauce is homemade! Yes, it is small, 5 tables and 5 stools, and you may have to wait, a little noisy since everyone is enjoying themselves, but this only adds to the experience!

Reviewed June 3, 2014

As others have said, Yucatecan food is good. However, in that hot climate, it's good to have an alternative to the sometimes heavy local food. I had a wonderful salad, with grilled shrimp and a cool glass of Pinot Grigio. The service was very good. It is around the corner from the Casa San Angel hotel and very small inside. I got there on the late side and my sister, mother and I still had to sit at the counter. We moved to one of their tables after another party finished their meal. The waiter said they would be expanding soon. In the meantime, make a reservation or prepare to wait outside for a table, as I saw other people doing. It is worth the wait.