“The best hostel I have ever been in”
Review of Nomadas Hostel

Nomadas Hostel
Ranked #2 of 77 Specialty Lodging in Merida
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Nomadas is the best hostel I have ever been in. And I have been at really many hostels worldwide. The only thing we didn't like much was the fact that once at the reception we were told, that children are not allowed. But I managed to get my son with me in the hostel. For the rest, everything was great. Beds were OK. Staff helpful and friendly. Breakfast also good. Everything extremely clean. Working fans in the rooms. Central Location. Free Internet at the reception. But the think we liked most was the swimming pool for the guests! So I can only recommend this hostel, except if you have children with you...

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 22, 2013

The common areas of this hostel were absolutely beautiful, with a large pool, many hammocks, and a large garden area. They offered free yoga a few times a week, cooking classes for $20 pesos, and excursions that you could take as a group. The kitchen was rather small, and did not have many pots and pans for use. They had one fridge that was rather small, and was jam packed with food from the many residents there.

I stayed in the girls only dorm for one night. Although the said that they had air conditioning, it really didn't work well. There do offer fans for each set of bunk beds however, and not having a bunk mate, I was able to point the fan on myself to help ease the humidity and heat while sleeping. The location of the hostel was great, a couple blocks from the city center. The residents while I was there however were not very friendly. I stayed here with a hostel mate from Poland, that I met in a hostel in Playa Del Carmen, and even she was complaining about that. This hostel was located in a traditional meridian style home in the city, and the property was large. The employees spoke English well, and overall for the price was a great place. However, we visited another hostel closer to the city center, and found their residents to be more friendly and wanting to socialize. If I was traveling solo, I would have been disappointed in the friendliness of this hostel, saying that usually when staying in a hostel, you are looking to meet people.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights and used it as a base to go see the Chichen Itza and Uxmal ruins (we missed out on seeing the cenotes - which is a must I'm told). As this was the first time we have stayed in a hostel we weren't quite sure what to expect, however it turned out to be the most amazing place to be.

Location was central, but can be quite a busy street and therefore loud if you're staying in any of the rooms that face the street. Many restaurants along the road and nearby, and a laundry a few buildings away which was handy. The central plaza was about a 5min walk from the hostel (probably even shorter) as was the really cheap grocery store.

We booked a private room with private bathroom. The room and bathroom were basic (as you would expect), but they were clean and the bed was comfortable. We had 2 fans in our room which was great - because even in the winter, it still gets pretty hot.

The staff were incredibly helpful and spoke English. When you check in they give you a map of the surrounds, bus time tables to various places and the different tours available. We booked our 2 tours at reception about 6.30 am for tours that picked us up about 9am. The reception/lobby area also has a tv and 4 computers with internet for use.

The hostel also provides some free/cheap activities on a nightly basis. I took advantage of the free salsa lessons nightly 7.30pm - 9pm and morning yoga. They also had a guy come in and play his guitar from 9pm until about 10.30pm. Mexican cooking lessons were also popular with a small fee to pay for ingredients.

The kitchen was well kept with a communal fridge to put your food in. Breakfast is free but basic - fruit, bread, butter and jam, coffee/tea - however I quite enjoyed it.

There were hammocks all around the place which were great for lounge about, including a few hanging over the pool (yes, there is a pool!).

Overall, a fantastic hostel with plenty to do in and around. During our stay we met an American woman who was staying there for 3 months, and goes back every few years to the same hostel - she wouldn't do it if she didn't love the place! Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights and used it as a base to see the surrounding areas of Mexico. The hostel staff were friendly and polite as well as very helpful. A fact sheet in English was provided of tours they could arrange. As I was with two friends, we actually went with public transport and created our own which worked out marginally cheaper but if travelling on your own, their tours could be a safer way to see the sights. We attended a cooking lesson which was great fun and the hostel is very well located within the city. Not too far to walk from the bus station (about 10 mins) although taxi prices varied from 40-60 pesos for the trip. We stayed in a private room and thankfully I chose a bottom bunk and the ceiling was flaking all over the top bed by morning! As the rooms surround the courtyard, it can be noisy at first but there is a low noise policy after 11, so not too bad. The computers and wifi worked well - although i could also hear every word of a phone call being made in the room next door. The breafast is handy but average (fruit, toast and weak coffee). The ambience makes it a good stay though.
I would recommend this hostel for anyone staying in Merida on a cheap budget.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This really is a beautiful hostel. I love the bright colors. The pool is awesome. Loved the salsa lessons, cooking demos, the yoga and chillin to the guitar. Even if the street seems busy it is a quiet place. Not a place for people who like to sleep in.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 26, 2013

The hostel had everything one needs and I appreciated a very good breakfast. I stayed both in a private room and at the dorm and actually enjoyed the private room less, since the kitchen noise started waking me up at about 7. The wifi works well and there are some decent computers in the main area. Centrally located and quite friendly.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights, and used it as a spot to chill/relax for a few days before hopping on a night bus to San Cristobal. It was almost perfect for that--and would also be an ideal base for exploring the area.

Favorite Parts--
The facilities--you cant really beat the amazing pool and garden area, and I found the dorms to be spacious and comfortable.
The free activities--cooking classes, yoga, live music. Great.I did one of the yoga classes and a free cooking class and found both to be worthwhile.
The location is a few blocks from the main zocalo, in a bit quieter area--I prefered this to being right on the Zocalo.

Didnt Like--
I had a 7 pm bus to San Cristobal, and if I wanted to use the facilites/store my pack, I would not recieve my 100 peso deposit back. I thought that was a bit excessive, seeing that my dorm cost just 35 pesos more for the whole night.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo