“Seven Stars”

Ranked #18 of 103 Hotels in Merida
Vancouver
“Seven Stars”
Reviewed February 5, 2009

Hotel del Peregrino was a really nice place to stay. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the hotel has been beautifully remodelled and is always clean. I believe the 5 star hotels can learn something because Hotel del Peregrino should have 7 stars.

• Liked — Great staff
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Santa Fe, NM
Reviewed January 14, 2009

Normally I do not post critical reviews...I would rather let the memory fade. However, motivated by loyalty to my fellow traveler, I feel compelled to comment on our one week stay at Hotel Peregrino.
First, this is a hotel and not a hostel as it is often titled on the net. It originally was a hostel prior to the first quarter of 2008 when it was purchased by Jim, who relocated to Merida from Vancouver, BC. Jim has done a lovely job rejuvenating the facilities.
A good word must be entered for the staff at the hotel. Jim entrusts many responsibilities to them and they strive to provide above average service with a very good attitude.
The location of the hotel is very good also. Far enough away from the city center to avoid the noise and vehicle fumes but close enough to comfortably walk to all popular points of interest.
As a guest, you have access to the open air kitchen to prepare lunch or dinner and share in the communal refrigerator. The area was always spotless and the appliances are in good working condition.
We had booked a two week stay but decided to relocate after the end of the first week. The were a series of annoyances, rather than a major tragedy, that prompted our move.
In no particular order, here are issues of which you should be aware, especially if you are a more "mature" traveler:
Beds are like mortician's slabs; so hard we could not get a good night's sleep.
Breakfast is very disappointing: toast, cereal and coffee.
"Wifi" service automatically downloaded files from the hotel's computer that corrupted my internet tablet and prevented me from sending emails creating a huge problem. The files downloaded were unfortuneate in their content and I was unable to delete them from my system. Jim made no offer to correct the problem casued by his system nor would allow me to use the hotel's computer to communicate with my office.
The bathroom floor is tiled with a high gloss finish which made it very dangerous when showering. Beware!
The hot water failed for several days and on one occassion the water pressure was too low to take even a cold shower.
The stairway to the second floor is painted black and there is no lighting. Don't book a room on the second floor if you are bringing your parents along.
In Jim's defense, this is his first hotel ownership experience so there is a lot of ongoing education as these issues arise. Yet, I am a guest and not a participant in an experiment in hotel management.
Finally, we had booked two weeks at the hotel as I am partial to staying in one place and not changing hotels during my vacation. I was assured in writing during the booking process that they could accomodate my entire stay but that I would have to change rooms for the last night. This I agreed to do. When it came time to pay for the second week I was told that I was only staying six nights and that I was being relocated to another hotel several blocks away. That did it for me! We moved to another hotel for the second week where the beds were comfortable, the water was hot and the location as good.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
7 Thank Joshua F
Vancouver
Reviewed June 1, 2008

We were pleased at how well the website portrayed the actual facilities. The hotel is kept very clean and all the staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfasts were just perfect for starting the day. The rooms are large with super high ceilings. There many questions we had about things to do in Merida and it seemed like the staff went out of their way to be helpful. The next time we are in Merida, we will definately be staying at Hostal del Peregrino.

• Liked — Great Service
  • Disliked — No pool
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
Cambridge, MA
Reviewed December 4, 2007

From the Hostal del Peregrino website, I was expecting something very different than from when I got there. It looks sunnier and brighter than it actually is. Don't necessarily trust everything you see on the internet.

When I arrived, I was told that the bathroom was unfinished in the room I was given. It had concrete and rubble in it. I refused to take the room because it was after check-in time, and wasn't ready. The manager threatened to bill me for one night if I left. It was unpleasant, and I refused to give in.

Then suddenly, another room became available. I don't like being fake threatened or lied to. In other words, things didn't start off on the right foot.

I felt like the management was pushing tours or restaurants on me, and another fellow traveler agreed at breakfast that he'd had the same experience.

The room itself was clean and fine, and the location is okay. But you can find better places in Merida. Try the Posada Toledo. I moved after one night, and I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank SamsaraCambridge
seattle
Reviewed November 7, 2007

My friend and I just got home from an awesome vacation in Mexico where the highlight was visiting Merida for Dia de Los Muertos. We stayed 5 nights at Hostel del Peregrino and I would do it again in a heartbeat. The combination of the welcoming staff, the beautiful and unique rooms, and the powerful A/C (not to mention the tasty breakfasts), made our stay extra special. As the previous reviewer noted the Hostel is close to the action, but not too close. We slept soundly and were refreshed and ready for adventure. They also offer tour packages to the nearby ruins which are definitely woth seeing. I highly recommend HDP.

• Liked — friendly staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
Victoria, BC
Reviewed October 15, 2007

We just returned from a week in Mérida, and Hostal del Peregrino was a wonderful place for us to stay. Its location is perfect - within walking distance to the downtown core and all amenities, yet sufficiently removed to offer peace and quiet.

The hotel provided a safe, family-friendly environment for my two young children to roam about in. Having access to the shared open air kitchen was invaluable - we saved a lot on food and were able to cook simple meals for the children. The room was simple, but clean and tastefully decorated.

What we appreciated the most was the extremely friendly and staff and owner. Everyone went out of their way to assist us, from suggesting fun activities and daytrips, to providing directions or advice on various things. We felt at home after just a few days!

I would recommend Hostal del Peregrino to anyone who is looking for an affordable, yet quiet and comfortable place to stay, and more particularly to those travelling with children.

• Liked — the staff
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
LA
Reviewed July 12, 2007

This is my third trip to the Yucatan and my second to Merida, and my second stay at Hostal del Perigrino. In all of Mexico I love Merida. It is the best of the Spanish, Mayan, and Caribbean culture in Central America, without the price-gouging of the Mayan Riviera.

What I especially liked about Hostal del Peregrino is that after a day of activity in town or a trip to one of the Mayan sights, I come back to a clean room and pleasant atmosphere, Chill for the evening, or go out to dine. No hassles, no unpleasantness, no noise from the neighborhood or the party-making type of travellers. By next morning I feel refreshed and ready for another adventure.

This place is ideal is ideal for the budget-minded traveller or those, like me, that simply need a clean room and congenial atmosphere and don't believe in spending corporate prices for that. I rather spend my money on good food, seeing the sights, and shopping. The bilingual staff is personable and helpful, which is good because I don't do well with Spanish at all. Rooms are clean and bright and airy. The location to the center of action and sights of Merida is convenient, only five minutes walk, but you feel you are away from the hubub.

Merida is a great base for day trips to the Mayan sights and the staff will help with tour planning and booking. I happily recommend this facility. I plan to be back next summer.

• Liked — Cleanliness, quiet, friendly staff, location
  • Disliked — Al fresco area can be a bit hot if you are late for the courtesy breakfast.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo