See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed a week at Esperanza with Sergio and all the pets and were extremely happy. In a restored colonial mansion it's a laid back place, which is exactly what we like. Only a five minute walk to the very center of town but it is very quiet.

The ensuite rooms are private and beautifully decorated, the bed very comfortable.

A special place is the huge tropical courtyard with a swimming pool that is swimmable rather than a splash pool. A bonus is always having Kai, the youngest lab, keeping you company. It's obvious all the pets are well loved and always picked up after. Having multiple pets ourselves it felt much more like home.

A very good breakfast is varied day to day; juice, coffe, cereal, danish, muffin, yogurt.

Sergio, the owner, speaks perfect English, is very friendly, and helpful in his suggestions getting guests to where they want to go and what they want to do. We felt, somewhat, he became as much a friend as a host, which, in hindsight, is an excellent characteristic for a BandB owner.

We would want to stay again.

Date of stay: December 2012
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I stayed with my partner and we absolutely loved it. I know one reviewer below complained about the animals and the smell but for us the animals made our trip even better. The dogs and cats are very cute and Sergio makes sure he cleans up after them as soon as possible. The B&B is charming, the central courtyard and pool beautiful and the room we stayed in gorgeous and clean. Sergio is incredibly helpful and Casa Esperanza has a good location, central yet quiet. Thank you!

Date of stay: January 2013
1  Thank Tigerlily2332
Reviewed January 21, 2013

My partner and I are frequent users of Trip Advisor and have to say the reviews ofCasa Esperanza are spot on!

The B&B is in a great location and the breakfast is amazing. Fresh fruit, coffee and bread each morning is exactly the way we like to start our day.

Only downside is if you are not an animal lover. There are 3 lively labradors and many cats on the property. Whilst the owners do keep them under control, they are allowed to get into the pool so we never used it.

The rooms were lovely and met our needs.

I couldn't have asked for a better place and it certainly helped us enjoy all Merida had to offer.

Date of stay: December 2012
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I'd like to start by saying that this review is reflective only of our experience during our recent 3 day stay, and I don't believe that it is reflective of how Claudette and Sergio have run this B&B over the years. However, I can only review the experience we had.

The Not-So-Good

When we arrived about 45 minutes after the arrival time I had given Claudette, we spent almost 30 minutes knocking on the front door and ringing the bell. We could hear the dogs barking but no other noise and no one answered. I walked into the store across the street to see if they had a phone number for the B&B. Finally, we almost checked into the hotel a few doors down to the right for the night, as we had no idea what was going on. Luckily I came back to check one last time before paying up for the night, and saw Sergio standing at the door. He said he'd heard us only the last time we rang the bell. Anyway, this was not a pleasant way to start the trip-- after a long journey to get there, to feel like we are stranded in a new city. We did not want to argue so we said OK, lets go in, although we could not understand how it was possible that he did not hear us earlier with the loud knocking, bells ringing and dogs barking, as he said. After this first issue, we had no problems with Sergio at all, and he seems to be a good person and very helpful, but this impacted the overall experience we had.

The only other thing we did not like was the smell around the pool area. We understand and knew beforehand that there are pets (and we have our own at home so we enjoyed them), but did not anticipate the smell or know that the pets stay confined indoors all day and do their business around the pool. Sergio did mention that their regular full time staff member has been gone recently, and with Claudette being gone as well due to a family emergency, perhaps all the cleaning up fell behind. Waking up in the morning and stepping out of the room to see dog poop by the pool was not very pleasant, and as a result of all this, we did not feel like using the pool at all. Having staffing issues is understandable, but as paying guests, one is paying for what is promised and expected, and the pool was a big reason for me picking Casa Esperanza.

The Good

Sergio is a good host, he had breakfast for us as promised every day and was very helpful when my wife got sick for a day. The bedroom was clean and comfortable, and the bathroom was sufficient as well. The property is truly beautiful, calm and in a great location, the internet worked well.

Claudette was extremely apologetic after I contacted her a few days ago. She called me to say how sorry she was and she insisted on refunding all of our money, without me asking for it. I can tell that she takes this very seriously and personally, and that they are genuinely good people. Based on this gesture on her part, I am sure that they will quickly fix the issues to bring the B&B back to what it's been in the past.

Date of stay: January 2013
2  Thank ATLbrownd
Reviewed January 18, 2013

If you are travelling to the Yucatan, you most probably will ( or should ) visit Merida and the place on top of your list from which to base yourselves has to be " Casa Esperanza ." My first visit a few years ago was a most memorable one, so much so that I have since returned with my wife for a second time. The atmosphere of this old colonial building is something to experience, coupled with the perfect hosts, Sergio and Claudette who make you feel very welcome and are always there to give advice on day trips, attractions or anything Mexican and are only too willing to organize tour guides or transport for you. My second stay at Casa Esperanza was just as good as the first, and some of the best memories I have from our whole USA, Grand Cayman and Cuba holiday was Merida and the best B&B in town. Beautiful fresh fruit or cereal for brekky combined with a friendly chat with either Claudette or Sergio if you choose to eat in the dining area is a great way to start the day.The rooms are very spacious and are beautifully decorated in keeping with the old world charm of this historic B&B. A quick wander around the beautiful gardens surrounding the pool will have you finding some tortoises,a cat or two and possibly a couple of adorable labs, it all adds to the warm friendly family ambience of Casa Esperanza. Be sure to have a browse through the craft shop which is part of the Casa for some beautiful authentic Mexican gits to take home. It's fair to say that I have fallen in love with Mexico and WILL be returning this year, needless to say I shall be staying at Casa Esperanza whilst in Merida, a wonderful experience not to be missed.

Room tip: I have stayed in 2 different rooms on separate occasions and could not fault either one.
Date of stay: July 2012