“Prioritize a day for David”

Los Dos Cooking School
Ranked #3 of 10 Food & Drink in Merida
More attraction details
Owner description: Los Dos is the only school in Mexico devoted exclusively to the regional cuisine of Yucatán. Whether you are an avid cook, an eager eater, or a professional chef, you will find enrichment in the Los Dos experience. Los Dos has been featured on the Martha Stewart show as well as on Rick Bayless' "Mexico: One Plate at a Time." One-day classes, all inclusive packages and tasting classes are offered.
Reviewed April 27, 2013

When you visit Mérida (which is a must!) make sure to set aside a day of your trip to spend it with David at Los Dos Cooking School. David has an amazing amount of information on the history of the area and cuisine. It's not just a cooking class, it's history of the food and area.

The cooking portion of the day is wonderful as well. It's not just a demonstration, David asks for volunteers to take over parts of the cooking projects for the meal. If you'd rather stand back and watch, that's OK too; however, I encourage you to take part in the activities. And to top it all off, the house is amazing!

Since taking David's class, I've made around 30 or more of his recipes. All are very, very tasty. The menu for his intro class changes as well, so even if you've done it before, it's worth doing again if/when you go back!

Overall, this is a great experience that is well worth taking time to do.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

All the positive comments are well deserved, and David deserves the credit. His clear respect for the Yucatec and the Maya culture was evidenced in his excellent staff, who deserve a great deal of the credit also, as well as in his selection of local supplies at the mercado, cooking methods and tools. A very good mix of fellow students makes it a complete delight.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

My husband and I recently went with Chef David on the "food tour" day - we did not cook. The entrance into David's gorgeously restored colonial home was worth the high price of admission alone....it's simply STUNNING. We really enjoyed the "food history lesson," which helped put everything about Mayan cuisine into context (and really helped shape how I look at "Mexican" food).

The market tour was busy and fun, and our shared lunch in a restaurant was a tour-de-force of all local favorites of high quality. David even ordered us up some tequila shots to tame our flaming palettes when both my husband and I ate some whole chiles (oops)!

If I had one suggestion, it would be for there to be some little pit-stops along the way with local favorite vendors/food shops included in the price/experience. In a similar tour we did in Bologna, Italy, we stopped into a local chocolatier, a specialty coffee shop, and a wine bar as we made our way through the city/market. The "treats" from these vendors (i.e. a glass of wine, some chocolates) were included in the price and obviously worked out in advance with our guide, which felt like an extra bonus since we didn't know we would receive them. It would also be a nice way to get to know the market area/Merida a bit better and chat with some locals. Just a thought!

Reviewed April 24, 2013

We loved our day at Los Dos, David was informative, and fun. The food was fabulous, and we really learned a lot. We would highly recommend the one day cooking class, it was a 5 star experience, in a beautiful home and kitchen, worth every dollar we spent.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

The first time I took this cooking course I enjoyed it so much I've taken it two additional times. Even if you hate to cook I guarantee you will love the history and the science that goes into making this region of the world so unique for food. You also get a guided tour of the local market which would normally be a little overwhelming to somebody just off the plane. After purchasing the ingredients at the market you then prepare the meal and the best part is you then get to have a fantastic dining experience. I recommend it to everyone that visits Merida and the friends that I've brought all want to come back and take the course again. It will truly be one of the highlights of your visit.