“A Beautiful Experience !!!!”
Review of Casa Del Maya

Casa Del Maya
Ranked #1 of 80 Merida B&B and Inns
“A Beautiful Experience !!!!”
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

From the moment I spoke with Jordy on the phone for the booking I knew this was going to be a special place to stay. He helped me choose the perfect room for our needs and answered my many questions about Merida, going above and beyond and even letting me know I could contact him again before our visit if I needed any additional information. Upon arriving, Steve greeted us if we were his house guests, even offering us a beverage.
The property is beautiful and I can't stop dreaming about the silky orange bed linens. Jordy could open a restaurant with his cooking skills. The location is perfect, easy walk or quick bus ride to the main square but in a quiet neighborhood with wonderful restaurants near by.
What makes this place so special, though, is Jordy and Steve. They define the word, "gentlemen."
My only regret when I left is that I did not grab a handful of business cards and hand them out as we traveled the Yucatan to let others know that this is THE PLACE TO STAY IN MERIDA!!

Jordy H, Owner at Casa Del Maya, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Great guests make for great stays...and all our guests have been great! B&B's seem to attract adventurous people who love to get out and explore. And we feel Casa Del Maya is the perfect location from which to explore Merida and the Yucatan peninsula. So much to see and do!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Staying at Casa Del Maya whas the best B & B I have ever stayed at, in the world. In my travels to Australia, England, Scotland, South Africa, Mexico, Canada, France, the Caribbean and the US, this is by far the best experience I've ever
had.

Steve and Jordy did not skip a beat in every amenity and service imaginable to make their guests feel comfortable and welcome! The breakfast everyday was delicious and abundant. The rooms were tastefully decorated and impeccably clean. They helped us with reservations for sightseeing, dinners and everything in between.

I never write reviews, but this time it would be an injustice to this fabulous B & B if I didn't. I will return to the beautiful city Merida and the only place I'll stay is Casa del Maya!!!!!

Jordy H, Owner at Casa Del Maya, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
One of the services we feel is important to provide our guests is where to go, what to see, and where to eat. We try to experience all the restaurants we recommend and steer our guests to the best Merida experiences. So glad it was a great stay for you. Hope to see you again!
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Casa del Maya is a very special place. Off a nondescript street a few blocks from the city centre, you enter this oasis of tropical beauty and amazing hospitality. From the moment we arrived, Jordy and Steve (the American ex-pat owners) made us feel that their casa was our casa. They are smart, informative, warm and generous guys who really do aim to make their guests feel well cared for. The breakfasts are a case in point. For starters, Jordy's homemade cinnamon buns are becoming legendary in Central America and beyond! They serve large quantities of fresh fruit & yogurt, maya juice, and every morning a different remarkable, delicious Jordy-cooked creation. The grounds are lovely and the rooms are all brand new yet traditional in style and colours. We stayed in the Balam (Jaguar) room on the second floor and awoke every morning to the sounds of dozens of different bird calls. It was absolutely delightful. Jordy & Steve gave us lots of helpful information, booked our day-trip to Uxmal and Kabah, and when we asked about a laundromat Steve said, "Sure, I'll take it and pick it up for you"--and he did. Honestly, we've never felt better treated in any of our travels--and all for less than $100/day.

Room Tip: In the upstairs rooms you feel like you're in the tropical forest canopy.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Jordy H, Owner at Casa Del Maya, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Once again we have to say: Great guests make for a great B&B. We so enjoy making all our new friends. We have had all kinds of people from all over the world find our little corner of Merida. We hope to see you both again.
Missoula, Montana
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I spent 2 nights at Casa del Maya at the end of January and had a great time. It is in a quiet neighborhood close to the grand plaza with many restaurants and shopping close by. Jordy and Steve certainly are fabulous hosts-very welcoming and making sure I felt comfortable. The home cooked breakfast was excellent, my room every comfortable and I slept well. They helped me with some personal research and helped me get a cab to the airport. I speak so little Spanish as to be somewhat helpless and their assistance was invaluable to me! The Casa del Maya is an oasis to come back to from shopping and sight seeing in Merida.

Room Tip: I had a ground floor room and find stairs with luggage challen
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Jordy H, Owner at Casa Del Maya, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
We don't exactly speak fluent Spanish, but we pretty much can help our guests out with anything they need while in Merida. Come back, and stay longer next time!
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Just returned from 10 days in the Yucatan and Campeche. Started our trip with a weekend stay at Casa Del Maya Bed & Breakfast. Jordy & Steve are the best! From the moment we arrived we felt like we had stopped to visit some old friends. When we arrived (at 10:30 pm) Jordy met us at the door. He had clearly been waiting for us to arrive. He showed us to our room, gave us a quick overview and asked if we needed anything. When we inquired if there was a place to buy beer nearby, he responded "oh we have beer let me get you couple." This really set the tone for our entire stay. The place is wonderful. Both our rooms were delightful and breakfast was delicious. The place was full during our stay and each morning (while Jordy cooked) Steve would mingle with the guests answering questions, making recommendations for the day, introducing everyone and just talk. If you are anywhere near Merida, don't miss this place!

Jordy H, Owner at Casa Del Maya, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Well, it's easy to be nice to nice guests! We so enjoy getting to know our guests - having our guests come to us from all over the world is the next best thing to traveling ourselves! Come back soon.
Danville, Kentucky
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I spent 14 days at Casa del Maya in December and January. Having stayed in 7 other Merida B&Bs and hotels over the past several years, I can say that this is one of Merida's jewels. The location near Santa Ana square is perfectly situated for walking to both the Central Plaza and the beginning of Paseo Montejo, the city's main north-south boulevard. The rooms are spotless, bright, comfortable, and simply/tastefully decorated with locally-made furniture and art that gives the place a genuine regional flavor. I loved the "rainfall" shower. As everyone has said, the breakfasts were simply wonderful -- delicious, creative, and filling -- and opportunities for great conversations with other guests. But what sets this apart from all the rest is what wonderful hosts Steve and Jordy are -- welcoming and attentive without being intrusive, helpful and informative. They are always working hard to make the place feel like a home away from home. (Disclaimer: I went to school with Steve years ago and we are friends; regardless, I'd highly recommend this to anyone--it's one of the best).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We spent 5 nights at Casa del Maya as part of a 2 week vacation in the Yucatan peninsula. The Casa is in a quiet neighbourhood close to the centre ideally located as a base from which to explore Merida. Steve and Jordy are the ultimate hosts. We were welcomed with a cool glass of white wine and provided with lots of information about things to do and places to eat. Jordy is a great chef and his breakfasts are a real treat ; every morning a new surprise. They also make every effort to make your stay as enjoyable as possible and to introduce you to the other guests.
Very good value and all that a B&B should be.

Joan and Frits

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Jordy H, Owner at Casa Del Maya, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
We try very hard to provide our guests with a good time at a good value. We are glad you feel we met your expectations. Hope to see you again!