“Devine food and delightful owners”

Bruno Bistro Gourmet
Ranked #40 of 804 Restaurants in Merida
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 18, 2012

My wife and I have had the opportunity of dining at Bruno Bistro Gourmet two times recently. Both dinner experiences were superb. The first meal we split a nicoise salad that was large enough to feed the two of us for a lunch, which we will try some time. It was followed by flavorful pork medallions in a tangy mustard sauce, which was also a very generous serving. For desert we savored a flaky lemon torte that was fresh, scrumptious and satisfying.

Our next visit found a warm return greeting from the owners Bruno and Fran, as well as another fabulous meal. We started with the special salad with a delectable cilantro and lemon vinaigrette, with fresh greens, baby corn, artichokes, hearts of palm and strawberries. Best salad I have had in years! The chef's special salmon followed with a delicious ginger, kiwi and wasabi sauce.

The owners Bruno and Fran have worked hard to use authentic French ingredients in providing one of the very best dining experiences in the Yucatan.

Fabulous food, perfect presentation, delightful owners. Highly recommended.

1  Thank ghs111
There are newer reviews for Bruno Bistro Gourmet

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I decided to celebrate our 1st year wedding anniversary in this restaurant. I've never been there before and just trusted on the other reviews. Well, it was a very good decision.

The menu is short but is quite enough to satisfy anyone. In my opinion is not only the superb quality and taste of the food, but the service that the owners provide, let me explain myself, my wife cut herself earlier and I request for a band aid at some point to the server, Fran, the owner, brought the band aid and put it on my wife's finger, herself!!! , it was the uttermost show of kindness for us. The medallions with foie grass are great, the flavors are mixed in harmony. The portions are good enough to let you have an entree, main dish and dessert, by the way I picked a creme brulee for dessert, it was delicious, the crust was perfect.

It was a special night and since we live in Merida, we will be there often.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

The restaurant is neighbors with some very good restaurants and it holds it's own. The owners are the most charming hosts you could ever ask for. The service is perfect. Cleverly decorated. A good value. The food was very good but there were a few disappointments. First, the perfect: the cannelloni was incredible with two sauces, one large pasta. Pasta, shrimp with lemon, clean, crisp, not overdone. The strawberry tart was in a free form, just exquisite.
The chocolate brownie with sauce and ice cream was more cocoa then chocolate and too dry. The gravlax flavor was dull. There were problems with the charge machine, and not having some items on the menu, even early in the evening. If only wine and beer is offered, some splits of sparkling would be nice.
All and all, I think Bruno's will do very well once they get the kinks worked out.

1  Thank djaaay
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Charming hosts are attentive, as are the waiters. Fran gave an enthusiastic pitch for a new entree, and the opinion of our table was that it was a good addition. When a diner asked for more sauce, the chef came out with a freshly made dollop for her. Comfortable inside, quiet because they've covered the walls with padded fabric panels, and other times when I've been outdoors I liked that, too. Recommend both the salmon with kiwi wasabi sauce, as well the lamb chops.

1  Thank kehoedds
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I am pleased to see Bruno's Mediterranean Bistro included now! we discovered it soon after they opened a few months ago, and we have been back often since then. Located on "restaurant row" along Calle 21, and just across the street from another favorite, Aqua (see my review), and across from Villa Italia that i also just reviewed (not so favorite anymore); this i mention so that anyone can see that i don't pump up restaurants and i try not to be overly critical. I now remember that our first visit was on New Year's Eve with another couple; we laughed about how they didn't have a liquor license yet but served you wine in coffee cups! The food was truly gourmet and delicious, and we were won over.

Bruno is a French Chef from Paris, and his lovely wife is from Quebec. They work together well as a team. Bruno had other restaurants in Mexico, in Cancun i think, and also had a TV show. It's a small place, with a limited inside area for Merida's warmer months, and a nice terrace for evening dining. The staff is well trained; Bruno told us he recruits from the local culinary school before they learn anyone else's bad habits; a good tip for others. So service is genuine, friendly and professional.

The only slight criticism i would make is that the menu is somewhat limited; otherwise we would be there even more often. But we've never had a dish that wasn't top notch. The baby lamb chops are outstanding, in wine and fruity sauce. Several other meat dishes, fish and seafood, and naturally some wonderful French desserts.

Restaurants open and close in Merida quite often.. many times with an obvious heavy investment. We think Bruno will be around for a long time, and they certainly deserve success.

1  Thank veteranworldtraveler