“A friendly oasis of calm, and with personality you won't find at a chain hotel.”
Review of Luz En Yucatan

Luz En Yucatan
Ranked #3 of 104 Hotels in Merida
Jacksonville, North Carolina
Reviewed May 2, 2010

Wife and I went to Merida looking to relax and do a little sightseeing, and Luz en Yucatan fit the bill perfectly of where we wanted to stay.
Hotel is within a few short blocks of many of the main plazas, churches, museums, restaurants and shops in town; you can walk to just about everything you'd want to see, and there's really no reason to rent a car.
Location made it ideal for walking the town in the morning, going back to the hotel for some pool time during the heat of the day, then going back out again in the evening.
The hotel itself had a charm and personality that you won't find at a "cookie-cutter" hotel chain; each room has a unique layout and many have a little patio and hammock for relaxing. Bed, shower, and bathroom all appeared to be new and of good quality.
Staff was extremely friendly and helpful; at check-in, they provided a guide pamphlet with recommendations for sightseeing, shopping, and eating, as well as key contact information in the city. Staff can also assist in setting up tours and trips within Merida and the surrounding area.
Overall, a well organized, efficient, friendly, one-of-a-kind and laid-back hotel tucked into the middle of a bustling city. We'll definitey be back...

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Traveler2000s

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Reviewed May 1, 2010

This is a long overdue review. I have stayed at Luz twice--once in July 2009 and the other in November 2009. I got married in Merida and the first time I stayed there was on a scouting trip with my mother to recommend hotels to our guests. We ended up recommending it and several of our guests did stay here as a result.

My husband and I also chose to stay at Luz in the days leading up to our wedding in November, and it quite literally became wedding headquarters with many of my family members stopping by to help with this or that, including family that was not staying in the hotel. Regardless, Tom was very welcoming to us all.

He really did everything to make our stay run smoothly, including letting us stay in a room that we were suppose to switch out of. This was really incredible considering how much wedding crap we had in our room with us :)

In my wedding madness, I think I got my check-in dates incorrect during our July stay but Tom was super great about it even when it meant knocking on the door at midnight to check-in (oops).

All the rooms are different. The two that I stayed in were quite roomy with kitchenettes. He's constantly doing improvements to the place. He clearly has a vision of where he sees things going.

The wi-fi is great. During our second stay there was a problem in getting a signal in the area of the hotel where our room was, but I know it was something that he was getting fixed. I'm sure it's fine now and we had no problem walking a few steps down to the lobby area to access it.

The location is great. Very central. The rooms are cool. It's an incredible value. Our friends and family that stayed there (and those that didn't) spoke very highly of their visit at Luz. Luz is a charming hotel with a lot of character and a place that feels like home.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DCcook
EDMONTON
Reviewed April 24, 2010

Wow what an experience, from our arrival too our departure which may I add was way too soon we had a great stay. We found the staff to be amazing and may I add the foundation of any great business. We were welcomed with open arms and given all the necessary information to explore the real Merida, what really struck me was the polite manner we encountered from our wonderful cleaning staff who helped me with an odd bite that I received from a friendly Merida bee..... ! I understand that sometimes people get a little carried away on reviews but having been a much travelled person I sincerley have to say this is the best place I have stayed at on my trips around the world. We enjoyed making dinner in our wonderful kitchen and had breakfast on many occations across the road at "Cafe Club" which may I add is another gem!
Let me just say I never felt that "being a tourist" put anyone out, the owners Tom and Donard were great and may I commend them both on a job well done. We will be back and I highly recommend this "Home from Home" to anyone wishing to visit Merida.

See ya soon kathryn and Paul

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank paka42
Reviewed April 7, 2010

Our first time in Merida, this place was recommended by owners of Mayan Beach Gardens in El Placer, Mx. The first day of a 3 weeks trip across the Yucatan. Arrived about 11pm at night, after a flight from Seattle to Cancun, then bus ride from Cancun to Merida, then a taxi to Luz en Yucatan. Owner was ready for us. Room was perfect. The place is a haven in a big city. Great location, walking distant to the central park, great restaurants, comfy beds, nice swimming pool, internet access, filtered water. Wonderful ambience Nice owner. Quiet, clean. I would recommend this to anyone wanting to see Merida. The cleanest city I have ever seen in Mexico. The citizens even separate their organic from in organic trash right on the street corners in public receptacles. The Merida citizens are gracious, warm. The Sunday market in the park was wonderful. Lots of entertainment with traditional mexican/yucantean dancers. We stayed 2 nights and would have stayed longer but we had not booked any more nights. So we went to a place called Casa Ana,which Tom recommended and that was nice too but a bit farther from the central park. You do not need a car in Merida, in fact, I think it would be more of a hassle. The streets are very narrow and I did not want to be stressed driving in such a narrow area. We did rent a car when we finally left Merida to travel in land and then to the Caribbean side. Otherwise the bus service is great, frequent, cheap. Leave the driving to them.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Acmeflower
US
Reviewed April 6, 2010

I was traveling with a group of grad students for a conference in Merida and the Luz was recommended to me by several ex-pats in the area. We booked the Palacio room - with 2 doubles and a single bed for 5 nights, and other members of our groups had three other rooms in the hotel. The hotel was lovely and other conference attendees wished that they had booked the Luz as well. Tom and the other members of the staff were great. The hotel is located within walking distance of many sights. The beds and hammocks were comfortable and the kitchen in our room was useful as well!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Anthropologal
uk
Reviewed April 2, 2010

This was our 3rd trip to mexico, normally we just go to an all inclusive resort in Cancun....which is great. This year we decided to have a 2 centre holiday 1 week at the beach and 1 week elsewhere.We chose Luz En Yucatan because of the reviews. We took the luxury UNO bus from Cancun to Merida about a 4 hours drive, about 20uk each, and it was like a luxury limo.....movies/cold drinks/aircon. 15 mins from the bus station to Luz then.....Heaven.
We loved the place. Colourful/mellow/tranquil/tropical/safe are some of the words we felt summed it up.
We got to speak to 1 of the owners and he was a wealth of information about Merida, we even got a sneak preview of a new venture they are about to rent out.
They have a beautiful modern town house about 5 doors from the hotel with all the mod cons and a plunge pool.
We have already provisionally booked these same 2 weeks next year and secured a 10% discount as we are the first people to rent it.............only down side is the wife says we have to bring the 2 kids.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ishetoo
Canada
Reviewed April 2, 2010

Great place....great location...recommended by Kenn and Karen Strass who run Celeste Vida on the ocean in Celestun ( a must see also) the "Luz en Yucatan"...the owners and staff are fantastic....our stay was wonderfull.....this place is comfotable and clean.....get away from Cancun for 2-3 nights and see the culture and night life of Merida. The fantastic bus system gets you round trip from Cancun for 50 bucks.....well worth the adventure.....this little gem of a hotel is a must stay.....close to the action....but quiet and almost secluded from it. We are coming back next year.....for sure.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple