Luz En Yucatan
    • Free Internet
    Hotel Mucuy(Merida)
    • Pool
    1,052 results
    All reviewscold beers in the fridgecommunal kitchenpoolside roomwater dispensersanta lucia churchcomplimentary tequilacoffee makerowners and stafffew blocksthe entire staffthe main squarethe location is perfectfavorite hotellarge roomcommon areaswonderful hotelsmall pool
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed August 25, 2008

We take our winters and travel around Mexico. We have stayed in plenty of hotels, motels and resorts. Luz en Yucatan has been the best, the staff were great and extremely helpful, all the rooms were unique and very clean, the pool was private and very relaxing, there were welcome beers in the fridge upon arrival as well as a welcome Tequila bar, it was a few blocks from the center of town where all the excitement is at, wireless internet, there were so many other things that made this place FANTASTIC. This will be the only place we stay at again in Merida.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
    3  Thank ajleePutinBayOH
    Reviewed August 20, 2008

We arrived in Merida by bus from Cancun and took a taxi (30 pesos) to the Inn. Upon arrival you have to be buzzed in off the street. The hotel used to be a nunnery and you can tell when you enter. This is not the hotel for someone who is used to ultra modern amenities or five star luxury. This is a clean, well run, economical hotel. I loved it because of its charm and the staff. I felt like I was in a Hemingway novel!

Our room had a kitchen and dining area plus two double beds. It cost $60 a night and had air conditioning. It also had a hammock if we wanted to use it. We didn't (we used them in the Amazon last year) but it was fun to know it was there.

Upon arrival I asked about doing laundry (we had been traveling for a week and needed clean clothes.) The Owner was incredibly helpful during our entire stay and managed to get our laundry picked up and washed on a Saturday afternoon for $10.

You receive basic shampoo and soap, two towels and two washcloths (it was only the two of us.) I was able to access the wifi most of the time from my room which I appreciated (love hotels with wifi). There is a cart in the hallway with liquor that is free to the guests. There is a large sparkletts type water dispenser in your room so you don't have to buy bottle water and lug it around with you to refill your smaller bottles.

The welcome sheet with information about the town was very helpful. The owner helped us book excursions at very reasonable rates (compared to Playa Del Carmen.)

We stayed three nights and on our last day realized that we had read our plane ticket wrong and had only five hours to get back to Cancun to catch our plane (it's about a four hour trip to the airport.) We knew we wouldn't make it by bus. The staff arranged for a taxi driver to pick us up at the last minute and get us to the airport on time. They even canceled our bus trip for us. Yes, we had to pay a lot to do this, but it was worth it.

I can't tell you how impressed I was with the kindness and attentiveness of the staff. And their English was impeccable.

Definitely a great place for the budget minded or if you're a little tired of the Cancun resort, scene this is a refreshing break.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    6  Thank KBrogan
    Reviewed August 11, 2008

During our travels through Mexico we made a last minute decision to visit Merida. Thanks to the positive reviews on tripadvisor we chose Luz en Yucatan. Even though we didn't have a reservation, Tom welcomed us in and found a way to get us a room for two nights--we would have loved to stay longer but they were, unfortunately, all booked after that.
    The hotel is like a very large house with beautiful, welcoming common areas to relax. There were cold beers and bottled water waiting for us and plenty of places to enjoy them including a rooftop deck and pool. The rooms were very comfortable, clean, and had air conditioning and a mini-fridge.
    We were provided with extremely helpful resources and great advice on activities and restaurants.
    I would definitely recommend Luz en Yucatan to anyone who is looking for a warm, friendly, relaxing place to stay. We will absolutely return next time we are in Yucatan.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    4  Thank Sunshinelp97
    Reviewed August 7, 2008

Luz is an absolutely wonderful and charming little hotel. From the street it looks rather unassuming, but once you open the door you step into a marvelously beautiful, yet relaxed and comfortable oasis. The room was spacious, meticulously clean, and the pool was a pleasant surprise that we looked forward to each afternoon. I would 100% recommend staying here!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
    4  Thank SuunSweet6
    Reviewed July 7, 2008

I spent six weeks in Mexico recently, three of them in Merida where I mostly stayed at Luz en Yucatan. It was fabulous and just what I needed after a very stressful year of teaching!! Tom and Donner know how to pamper their guests with all the right touches. Helpful, entertaining staff, interesting guests, fun times! Now that I'll be working in Mexico, I'll be back for a visit!!
    Leah from Calgary, Alberta