“Home Again” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 103 Hotels in Merida
Chicago
“Home Again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

This is either the fourth or fifth time I've stayed at Luz and, as other reviewers have stated, I also consider Luz my second home. I cannot say enough about the thoughtfulness, consideration and attention to detail, not to mention the welcoming presence of both owners, Tom and Donard.

The all of the rooms are meticulously clean, spacious and bus-free, despite one spiteful reviewer.

This is, as other reviewers have stated, a true oasis in the heart of a city that can be fairly noisy and overwhelming at times.

I cannot say enough about this wonderful, welcoming hotel and truly look forward to my stay in my 2014/15 trip to Merida.

Room Tip: All the rooms are fine; but if you're a late riser, you might not want to chose one of the rooms...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

My husband and I recently had the pleasure of staying at Luz en Yucatan in Merida, Yucatan. This hotel is truly an oasis in the center of a bustling city. Once inside the hotel and off the busy and stimulating streets of Merida you are immediately greeted by peace and tranquility. The hotel itself is an absolute historical beauty with much attention directed towards customer service. The room we stayed in was absolutely perfect with all of the amenities one could possibly need while on vacation, and a trip to the courtyard pool in back of the hotel is not complete without a quick stop at the complimentary tequila bar! We took two guided tours to Uxmal and Chichen Itza that the owner of the hotel arranged for us. The tour bus came right to the front of the hotel to pick us up and drop us off. Lunch was included in both of these tours. Another tour of city of Merida really helped us get a feel for the layout and history. The staff at Luz en Yucatan is very helpful, friendly, and very knowledgeable with advice on local restaurants, shopping, tours, etc. I very highly recommend the city of Merida and the hotel Luz en Yucatan in particular for a fantastic getaway vacation. In fact, we were so pleased that we are already thinking about a return visit!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Audrey T
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

Everything I could possibly want. We were in Merida for a week and I feel like it wasn't nearly enough time to see everything that the city has to offer. The staff had expert advice for any activity you could possibly think of doing while visiting the area. The hotel itself is incredible. The history with the attached church makes it even more fun. The hotel is centrally located allowing us to walk to nearly everywhere we wanted to go. For destinations too far to walk the staff would promptly call a cab or even arrange for us to be picked up by a tour guide. Although the hotel lies in the middle of the city the hotel courtyards are quiet and relaxing for when you need to get away from the hustle bustle of the city. I would recommend this Hotel to anyone planning on traveling to or through Merida.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Darren T
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

My wife and I enjoyed a few days in Merida in early February 2014. We found the city so charming and really "Old Mexico" in culture and activities - not to mention great prices. At the very heart of Merida is this lovely hotel. It is really just above a B&B and more of a boutique hotel. But, Luz En Yucatan is simply wonderful. We were so pleasantly surprised by the location and the room. Just fabulous. Now, this is NOT the "Ritz", but my wife actually said that she felt this was one of the finest hotels we have ever stayed in. I agree. We enjoyed it more than the $500 per night Intercontinental in Istanbul last year. More than the $350 per night room in London the year before. And this location is perfect. Just 6 or 7 blocks form the main square. But so nicely located that we ate out 5 meals and took a tour bus ALL within about 200 yards of the front door. Amazing. BUT, you MUST plan way ahead!!

Room Tip: I did not see all of the rooms, but ask for one surrounding the pool courtyard.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank OKLonghorn_Guy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

I had a wonderful stay at Luz en Yucatan. The hotel is centrally located on the same block as Santa Lucia and is an easy walk to the Grande Plaza, Santiago, Santa Ana and just about any place else you want to go. The atmosphere is quiet, relaxing and welcoming. Tom and the staff couldn't have been nicer and were very helpful with friendly suggestions about where to eat, shop and had great tips about the city and sites. I was traveling alone on my first visit to Merida and couldn't have felt more comfortable. I found the city extremely friendly, clean and safe. I will certainly be back and will be sure to stay at Luz en Yucatan! I would recommend requesting one of the suites overlooking the pool, very colorful and cheerful! Happy Travels!

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank BP0403
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

Have traveled allover and felt like I had just come home when I walked in the historic front doors. The knowledgable staff was professional and very helpful. They genuinely cared that my partner and I had a great travel experience. The hotel exudes a relaxed and homey vibe, the rooms are very comfortable and decorated to a tee. You can tell that Tom, Donnert and the entire staff have not overlooked a detail. They want you to not only have a good night's rest but to also experience what Merida has to offer. We will be back !

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Sacrificial
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

This hotel has all the elements that we value in spades. The service is exemplary, the rooms and public spaces are casually elegant and it is excellent value in a great location. We love to have an option to prepare our own food and store drinks in the fridge. Unlimited drinking water is a great bonus. The swimming pool is good for cooling off and even long enough for a few strokes. We did book in September to get a room in January.

Room Tip: Although we had a standard room it was a very generous size and came with microwave and coffee maker...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple