“Excellent Place, Excellent Stay”
Review of Luz En Yucatan

Luz En Yucatan
Ranked #2 of 104 Hotels in Merida
Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband booked this and I have to stay I was not sure about it. The pictures looked good but I didn't know if it was going to be great or just nice.

What we found was a special, quirky, charming, homey hotel that struck the right balance between comfortable and budget-friendly.

We booked room #5, right outside the pool. Upside: right outside the pool, with your own patio area. Downside: right outside the pool, so if you want some privacy we needed to close the drapes. And no napping mid-day, as even a soft conversation by other guests at the pool would travel into the room. There are several rooms away from the pool so if you're the type to want to siesta, do ask for what works best for you. For me, it was not a problem, I sleep through anything.

The check-in was seamless, and the staff were eager to help. I've never met such friendly hotel staff. A cute touch was the drink cart in the hall: shots of tequila, agave liquor, and several others are on the house. At first I thought it was cheesy, then I got a taste of xtabentun and suddenly it seemed like a great idea to have a free drink cart in the hallway.

The bathroom was huge and luxurious. Great water pressure and lots of space to spread out our stuff. Bed was comfy and the hotel overall was spotless. When we wanted to rest from being in busy Merida, we loved coming back to our cool room by the pool.

Room Tip: Don't pick a poolside room if you want to nap in the mid-morning or mid-afternoon.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jitzutravels
Write a ReviewReviews (1,039)

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I want to let you know right off that I am a Casa Mexilio exile and that I had to resort to another lodging choice because my first choice was closed until December 15. I happened on the No. 2 of the TripAdvisor list of B and B's, Luz en Yucatan. I tried to get into No. 1, Julamis, but could not get an answer from them, but did get to meet them and they are extremely gracious hosts as well. Am I happy I found Luz en Yucatan! Let me tell you the many ways:
I had my reservations about it since pictures can lie and over enthusiastic reviews really don't tell you much. These are the things that I loved:
1. Its location was great, close to everything in Centro.
2. My cute, cute, and very cheap room consisting of my bedroom, a balcony all to myself with a hammock and a fan, a kitchenette, and a separate bathroom. It was simple and simply great for me.
3. The pool - - - it was inviting in the morning and in the afternoon, open at all times you want to dip. Guests gathered around it, and we all made friends and talked and got along famously. I met wonderful people from all over the globe and the most charming couple from Montreal, - we are now for life.
4. The last night I had another room due to a mistake of booking, in the more elegant part of the hotel. It was a gorgeous room, beautifully appointed and a huge bathroom to spend a lot of time in, if one wished. Thanks Tom for being so gracious.
5. The help is absolutely friendly gracious and welcoming. Everyone is war, friendly and wonderful to guests.
6. I am not a drinker but as a welcome and during the stay there is an open bar policy, one can help oneself to shots of various liqueurs and spirits. (I have never seen that anywhere.) Guests just loved that touch.
7. The management is absolutely pro guest in offering most friendly and welcoming hospitality and striving to improve his enterprise. Tom is a supremely nice guy, who is making a great success of this business.
As a solo traveler this time, I found Luz to be enchanting because I made friends with almost everyone who visited and worked there. The atmosphere at the pool is contagious and conducive to while away the afternoons or just cool down after a romp in the ruins. Architecturally, this place may not be as imposing as Casa Mexilio but is quite beautiful on its own merits, a converted former convent with various rich red and yellow colors throughout. I can't wait to go back to Luz. At their price range and for their type of lodging, they can’t be beat! In fact I am already planning my next trip to Merida, and Luz will be my first choice!

Room Tip: For me, I'd prefer a room close to the pool so I can be near the social activity.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank RichardSchillen
Reviewed October 30, 2012

An excellent hotel with a beautiful gardens, and a great pool open 24 hours a day. The rooms are spacious and clean and the staff was very nice. You can spend the evening with a good book lying in a hammock on the terrace or take a walk through the city center which is beautiful illuminated.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ana M
Reviewed October 25, 2012

two nights of complete comfort and relaxation were spent at the Luz. Excellent location near city centre but very quite and super safe. Spotlessly clean, great pool and comfy hammock and off-street parking! On check-in there is complimentary beer and recommended list of places to ear/shop/drink. We meet the American owner and were impressed by his genuine hospitality! Merida is a great city and the Luz a fab spot to explore it all!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank laobhaise
Reviewed October 12, 2012

My husband and I first stayed at Luz En Yucatan two years ago for ten days and have not stopped talking about our experience to everyone we know heading to Merida. We recently made a return trip and hoped to stay again. As the hotel was about to undergo some refurbishment, we were only able to stay one night. Tom - host extraordinairre, offered to let us stay for the remainder of our visit if we wanted to put up with construction noise etc.... We did not want to be in the way and keep our reservation for the balance of our visit at another hotel. Still, we stopped by daily to witness the changes. The pool area is amazing and much needed respite when staying in Merida.
We look forward to another visit in the near future as the location of the hotel is unbeatable and the hospitality of the innkeepers second to none. Rooms are comfortable, beds very sleepable and hot water when you so desire!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dwhope58
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We spent 5 nights at the Luz en Yucatan in and had a wonderful time. The staff are very friendly and helpful. They provided very helpful recommendations which were always accurate and appreciated. Our room had lots of character, with a bed that was very comfortable. We were provided with welcome beer in our fridge and appreciated the fresh ground coffee from chiapas. The location was absolutely perfect as we could walk to all areas of the central Merida. The pool was refreshing. It was nice to be able to visit with others in the courtyard in the many quaint areas of the hotel. Every area was very clean and well attended. This hotel is a gem and we look forward to coming back. Thank you for helping to make our vacation so special.

Room Tip: Each room has its own special character.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gowest32
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Second stay at this hotel (stayed 3 weeks last year) and its still perfect. Different room than my first stay but just as good. Great aircon, powerful shower, comfortable beds, free filter coffee, beers in fridge on arrival, free spirit bar in reception, lovely clean pool, friendly English speaking staff, great position, good fast wifi etc etc! Why anyone would stay anywhere else in Merida I dont know (OK there are cheaper places but the Luz is still brilliant value)
Will be back next year hopefully, thanks again!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo