See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed March 28, 2011

During the long, cold winter of 2010, my 91-year-old, globetrotting grandmother asked me if I would join her on warm weather holiday. Who can say no to that? Neither of us are Cancun types. We wanted to go somewhere we could explore a local scene. Grandglad had been to (and loved) Merida in younger days. Hacienda Santa Cruz beckoned with its lovely swimming pools, friendly French owners and beautifully appointed accommodations. We ended up staying two weeks--and Grandglad keeps talking about going back.

There's plenty to do. Merida itself has some interesting sights and great eats--we drove into town most days--it's not far by car. We enjoyed the Sunday dancing in the square so much that we went twice. One day, we drove out to a quite coastal village and had the most amazing ceviche. On another we hit Campeche for lunch and enjoyed seeing the colorful buildings. I visited the ruins Chichen Itza and Uxmal one day while Grandglad had an excellent massages from Anna. (She'd seen the ruins on previous visits and didn't have the stamina to walk that much.) We visited a museum that showed how haciendas like Santa Cruz actually worked.

The food at Hacienda Santa Cruz was always delicious. But the people really made our visit magical. Caroline, Robert (the owners) and their family were amazingly welcoming and generous--as was the entire staff. We feel in love with the whole crew.

One day when we were touring a local sight, Grandglad fell flat on her face, which required a somewhat harrowing trip to the hospital. Caroline met us there and helped navigate the medical system--a task to which my Spanish was not up. The doctor did a great job stitching Grandglad up, and though she looked like she had lost the fight, she was none the worse for the wear and ready for more adventure within a day or so. That night when we returned from the emergency room, we were greeted by the chef who had stayed late just so she could offer Grandglad a bowl of the house Chicken Tortilla soup.

The two rooms we stayed in were lovely and so well appointed. Charming, airy, colorful art painted by Caroline, splendid bathrooms. Grandglad is a longtime antiques dealer with an interest in modern design and french style. Caroline showed her a few open rooms. Grandglad gave them all a big thumbs up.

We both were so delighted by our stay that we want to share this place with everyone. It allows for a bit of everything. Retreat and adventure. Mexican culture and French style. Sweet people, all around. Grandglad and I will have to find a way to get back there. Our time there was magical. When you go, give a big hug to everyone from us.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Fertibob, Propriétaire at Hacienda Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

thank you very much for this kind commentary .....and long life to your grand ma
Robert

Reviewed January 21, 2011

The hacienda is very well renovated and decorated with a lot of taste. Our room was spacious and very pretty. The father of the owner gave us a tour of the hacienda which was really nice. This is really more like a luxury B&B than an hotel, you feel at home.
The restaurant is very good for dinner, the breakfast was average, drinks and snack are really good, you can ask anything you want they will make it for you! However the food is quite overpriced compared to other places of the same standing in Mexico.
Overall very good experience, I would recommend the place.

Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Fertibob, Propriétaire at Hacienda Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

it is a plesure for us to help our guests to find the best place in Merida or around the Hacienda
thank you.... Robert

Reviewed January 2, 2011

The rooms and grounds of this hacienda are wonderful. However, the restaurant was hugely overpriced and the quality of food was mixed. Breakfast was also disappointing. We would recommend with the proviso that you should try and eat elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Still_travelling2

thank you to take time for commentary ....very sorry that you didn't enjoy the food .
Robert

Reviewed September 25, 2010

A very special and absolutely lovely Athmosphere - perfect to make a good relaxing time!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

thank you ...Robert

Reviewed December 18, 2009

Before I start to give my review I would like to point out that I work in the 5 Star/Diamond Hotel Industry as a manager for 17 around the world for top hotels. I usually don't like to stay at hotels because i can't "disconnect" from work as I keep looking and focus on operational aspects. This said, I spent 3 night over thanksgiving in Hacienda Santa Cruz with my fiancee and her parents and I have to say that I was incredibly surprised on how I felt upon my departure. As a hotelier working in international companies I want to thank Frank and Caroline, the owners, for keeping alive the concept of hospitality...the foundation of our industry. They have done an incredible work on the Hacienda making a beautiful and functional place to relax and enjoy. The grounds and property are beautiful and one can relax and unwind completely. Who cares if you don't have TV and telephones etc when the property is so visually stimulating. Also, the feeling of being guests in their home is a great touch that can't be achieved in commercial hotels. Food was great ( albeit a tad expensive if you live in Mexico but very good ), the location is fantastic because you are close to downtown Merida and the the sites around the yucatan but in a wonderful and idillic setting.
Thank you again for a wonderful stay and great memories and I ask the Tripadvisor readers to support such wonderful Hoteliers that embrace the lifestyle and allow us to live such wonderful moments.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Fertibob, Propietario at Hacienda Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

your comentary is an honor for us ...we are very proud ...I think your right whn you speak about the " atmosphere" ...and the fundation of the Hospitality industry ......this is the most important thank you very much Robert