“Wonderful Zoo and park in Merida Centro”

Zoological Park of Centenario ( Parque Zoologico del Centenario)
Reviewed May 26, 2013

This marvelous park and zoo is one of Merida's treasures. I always love to return here. It remains a unique park in Merida where families go every weekend to enjoy the ride on the train around and through the zoo, and other lovely rides for children. I am lucky to live close to this park.

1  Thank Mary F
"rides"
in 9 reviews
"paths"

Reviewed May 3, 2013

I do rescue work here in the Yucatan with dogs and cats so to see big animals like zebras, giraffes, etc. in tiny exclosures with minimal life support is not oniy depressing - it's criminal! I admit I have a particular fondness for cats and to this day I have nightmares about the big cats I saw at the Centenario, panting and pacing back & forth in their 4 X 8 foot cages with no enrichment of any kind. These poor cats were over the edge crazy!!! Please don't support or encourage this type of zoo as it truly is cruel and unusual punishment for the poor creatures who live (and die) there. Several died just last year without any investigation or apology (they'll just buy others to replace them). If you want to take your kids & yourself to a great zoo that teaches and promotes conservation and respect for the animals, visit the Regional Zoo in Tuxtla Guttierex, Chiapas where they are captive breeding rare & exotic species like our endangered quetzal bird. That's a zoo you can feel good about supporting.. I do not believe that all zoos are bad but, unfortunately, the Centenario just doesn't get it when it comes to the animals as their first priority is on generating revenue - unfortunately, at the animals' expense.

7  Thank Progresolady
Reviewed April 29, 2013

What a wonderful little day trip, the zoo is free for everyone. There is lots of family enjoying the park & animals. Food & trinkets for purchase. Nice day trip

1  Thank ES727
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We walked around the zoo and saw a huge range of animals, snakes, and birds. I particularly loved the birds. The line up for the train was long, but if you have young kids I think it is worth lining up for the experience. My husband insisted that I go for a ride on the small motor bikes. It was a good laugh. We were a big group of all ages and we had a great time.

1  Thank JacqueBig
See more reviews
Reviewed March 3, 2013

The zoo is in a big park with rides & stuff for kiddies. It’s all free, and full of pretty Mayan babies and their families on Sundays. If you want to be utterly charmed by the strength of the family life of these good people, pay a visit. Oh, and there are still a lot of animals here because the new, modern zoo out by the suburb of Caucel is still a work in progress. It is a wonderful palce to spend a quiet afternoon.

1  Thank E R

Travelers who viewed Zoological Park of Centenario ( Parque Zoologico del Centenario) also viewed

Merida, Yucatan

Been to Zoological Park of Centenario ( Parque Zoologico del Centenario)? Share your experiences!