“If you love animals - DON´T!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Zoological Park of Centenario ( Parque Zoologico del Centenario)

Zoological Park of Centenario ( Parque Zoologico del Centenario)
Progreso, Yucatan
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“If you love animals - DON´T!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

I do rescue work here in the Yucatan with dogs and cats so to see big animals like zebras, giraffes, etc. in tiny exclosures with minimal life support is not oniy depressing - it's criminal! I admit I have a particular fondness for cats and to this day I have nightmares about the big cats I saw at the Centenario, panting and pacing back & forth in their 4 X 8 foot cages with no enrichment of any kind. These poor cats were over the edge crazy!!! Please don't support or encourage this type of zoo as it truly is cruel and unusual punishment for the poor creatures who live (and die) there. Several died just last year without any investigation or apology (they'll just buy others to replace them). If you want to take your kids & yourself to a great zoo that teaches and promotes conservation and respect for the animals, visit the Regional Zoo in Tuxtla Guttierex, Chiapas where they are captive breeding rare & exotic species like our endangered quetzal bird. That's a zoo you can feel good about supporting.. I do not believe that all zoos are bad but, unfortunately, the Centenario just doesn't get it when it comes to the animals as their first priority is on generating revenue - unfortunately, at the animals' expense.

Visited December 2012
7 Thank Progresolady

• Polish first
Florida
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“The Zoo is Free!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

What a wonderful little day trip, the zoo is free for everyone. There is lots of family enjoying the park & animals. Food & trinkets for purchase. Nice day trip

Visited April 2013
1 Thank ES727
Progreso, Mexico
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great Place to Spend a Few Hours”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

We walked around the zoo and saw a huge range of animals, snakes, and birds. I particularly loved the birds. The line up for the train was long, but if you have young kids I think it is worth lining up for the experience. My husband insisted that I go for a ride on the small motor bikes. It was a good laugh. We were a big group of all ages and we had a great time.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank JacqueBig
Toronto, Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“What a charming park!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

The zoo is in a big park with rides & stuff for kiddies. It’s all free, and full of pretty Mayan babies and their families on Sundays. If you want to be utterly charmed by the strength of the family life of these good people, pay a visit. Oh, and there are still a lot of animals here because the new, modern zoo out by the suburb of Caucel is still a work in progress. It is a wonderful palce to spend a quiet afternoon.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank E R
Parts Unknown
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Interesting and worth the visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Let me qualify my review by saying I am fully aware that this zoo does not meet the modern standards of zoological parks and the issue some folks have with caging animals, etc. I however thought the zoo was great. Yes its old and dated but I think its kind of charming and nice to see families enjoying it. Was surprised that they had such a variety of animals and who can't admit that the monkeys are great fun to watch. There is no fee and the walk from centro is not too bad -a bit noisey and smoggy (lots of buses). May be best to catch a ride there. Anyway it worth a visit to see what the folks in merida have been enjoying for many years (I have friends that are native meridians who like the old zoo better than animaya???)

Visited January 2013
1 Thank BernardFife

Travelers who viewed Zoological Park of Centenario ( Parque Zoologico del Centenario) also viewed

Been to Zoological Park of Centenario ( Parque Zoologico del Centenario)? Share your experiences!