“A Great Find”

Ranked #22 of 804 Restaurants in Merida
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: HABANEROS is a restuaurante that gives you the best regional food in Merida Yucatan, as well as other dishes typical of the major culinary regions of Mexico.Amid a warm and intimate atmosphere, accompanied by excellent service, we invite you to enjoy an unforgettable culinary experience.
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This restaurant has excellent Mexican and Yucatan food (my preference), very good service, reasonable prices, and Is extremely clean with a modern look and feel on the inside. Outdoor seating is available under a cabana. You can custom-design your salsa and the beer is very cold. It is easily accessible and there's plenty of free parking across the street. My wife and I go for lunch almost every time we're in Merida and have yet to be disappointed. The menu is extensive and features many dishes not easily found elsewhere. This is an outstanding establishment.

There are newer reviews for Habaneros

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Well-crafted, true Yucatan dishes served by capable staff who took excellent care of us all evening. Their recommendations for entrees were spot-on, as I wanted to try the local dishes and appreciated some help. They made our family dinner a highlight of our visit to Merida. Finally, the prices were great, even the drinks, surprising for this level of atmosphere, quality and service. Keep it on your short list of places to try on your trip.

1  Thank Jesse W
Reviewed August 31, 2012

This is one of the best restuarants currently available in Merida. As long as you don't visit at Mexican lunch time (2pm-4pm). Unfortunately, as it's a family run business, their a little short on waiting staff, and when it gets busy at lunch you'll find the service struggles a little. My third beer never materialised and the personal chili didn't happen either. If you visit outside of this time though, I can't fault this place.

The first time we went, it was me, my partner and our 2 year daughter. She was fascinated by the lady making tortillas by hand and cooking them over a stone fire (even if it did house a gas burner!). We got salsa made to our specification with the chilis we chose, and a green or red tomato base.

Next time, we took the whole family, 3 kids and two adults. The attention paid to the kids was great. They all felt special and practiced their terrible Spanish with the very patient owners.

I would recommend the pipian for those that don't like it too spicy and the grilled sausage for those that do. The tortillas are piping hot (warm, not spicy) and yuo're just far enough off the beaten track for it to not be full of tourists (three blocks West of Gran Plaza).

Unfortunately, I don't think it will still be there in a year's time. I hope I'm wrong because it is really good, but I think outside of the lunch time slot, it's just not busy enough.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

Want a lunch that you will be taking about for days....try Habaneros. Not on the menu, ask one of the many chiefs...they are there to please and eating here will please you each time. Try the shrimp pizza....wow...makes me hungry just thinking about Habaneros.

Reviewed March 12, 2012

I've been in Merida plenty of times and I always seek for the best local food. I really love the food from Merida.
I only get a chance to come to this city twice a year and I get the luxury of choosing the best recommended restaurants in town.
Well, this one has everything I need. I tried my favorite food, Papadzules, which they are not easy to make as good as these ones. I also had Panuchos and then Poc Chuc. My colleague had Relleno Blanco and I was very close to ask for Relleno Negro, but I refrain myself to see if I get a chance to go again tomorrow.
I highly recommend this place. Service is outstanding as well.