“amazing!!! Love mexicoo!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 103 Hotels in Merida
London, United Kingdom
“amazing!!! Love mexicoo!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

The people are very friendly and really work hard to please the customers!! Overall a pleasurable experience for any tourist.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2011

We arrived at the hotel around midnight, the staff was very friendly and greeted us like they knew us, they gave us the key for our room and off we go to sleep, an hour later i noticed that the AC did not work so I called the front desk and they changed us to the next door room and told us let everything there anod tomorrow we will change all of your belongings so we did. Early in the morning i called the front desk again and was greeted by Ursula and told her about all the AC trouble and told me that she would talk to the service manager about it, i hung up and 5 minutes later Mr Carlos Esquivel was ronging my phone, right there my whole experience changed. He upgraded our room to the club level where we had our breakfast included and some apettizers in the evening. Charly as everyone calls him was a complete gentleman aswell As all his staff in the morning he was there at breakfast checking all of our neds and the most important thing was the talk it was straight forward and no bull. The way he treats his guests is like he treats a family member and i noticed from all the conversations with other guests (recurring guest mosts of them) that he is always like that. He is a source of information unbiased all the time. Our family wants to go back at least once a year to merida and of course our hotel of choice will be Intercontinental presidente Merida.

If you want to sleep inside a busy meeting room with all the sounds of business man and all the chatting of a busy restaurant then you should stay at the fiesta americana across the street that was going to be my first choice, thank god for not letting me choose it instead I chosed HOME IN MERIDA THE PRESIDENTE.

Thanks CHARLY! You made our trip worthwhile.

See you next year.

Dr. Aguilera
CEO
Aguilera Enterprises
RGV texas

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank Aguileraenterprises
Moguel, Manager at InterContinental Presidente Merida, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
Dear Aguilera ...

Thank you very much for all your feedback .. we would like to see you back home anytime soon.

Best Regards,

Gerente de Operaciones / Executive Assistant Manager
christian_moguel@interconti.com
Waco, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2011

The Villa Mercedes Presidente is a great place to stay. It is centrally located easy access to Paseo Montejo. The staff are friendly and very helpful. We feel it is a very safe place to stay at and we enjoy the quiet hotel atmosphere. The beds are comfortable and the rooms are very clean. In all, we have stayed at several hotels in the area on other occasions and have returned for our stays at the Presidente.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2011

Although an Intercontinental Hotel in brand, this hotel falls way short of what I expect from Intercontinental Hotels. If this hotel was in the USA, it would be branded a Holiday Inn Select by IHG.

Also disappointing was the $15.00 US in extra daily charges for access to Wifi in the hotel. I have stayed in other hotels in Merida that could be considered lower quality than the Intercontinental, but offered free Wifi access throughout the hotel.

In this day and age, Wifi service in any hotel should be part of the service and convenience hotels offer to their guests, not something to nickel and dime them with. Next time I’m in Merida, I will not be staying at the Intercontinental Hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2011

This hotel is in the business travelers area of Merida just next door to Fiesta Americana, Hyatt & Holiday Inn. Beds were very hard, air conditioning was very loud but worked well. Rooms were spacious enough but mine only had a view of the street. Some do have rooms of the courtyard where the pool is located which would have been nicer. They offered an upgrade to club level floor that was 30.00 additional per day which included breakfast, happy hour with snacks & in room wi-fi. However, the in room wi-fi never worked on the 2nd floor while we were there which is definitely problem if you need to get some work done. The breakfast on club level consisted of the same thing each day - eggs with some ham in them, rolls, cheese & fruit with juices. Happy hour was cheese & meat tray, soft drinks, fruit, water, beer & wine. The business center offered internet for 9.00 per hour in the hotel but here was an internet cafe in the shopping center connected to Fiesta Americana that was 2.00 for the hour. There was also a convenient store across the street, some shops, a Sanborns store/restaurant, money exchange, ATM, travel agency & car rentals. The area was very safe & a taxi to the old part of the city was 3-5.00. WalMart is also nearby, maybe 10-15 min walking. Overall I would stay here again if it was just for business purposes but if on a leisure trip, I would prefer to be walking distance to the city center and in a small, boutique type property that has some character.

Room Tip: Request a pool view
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Lem1
Cancun, Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2011

We travel regularly to Merida and have always stayed across the street from the Intercontinental. The hotel looks very nice and we're always pleased with other Intercontinental hotels so we deicded to try it this time. I was travelling with my husband and son in one room and we were joined by another couple in their own room. I made the reservations on-line on the Intercontinental web page. On their web page the types of rooms were listed by bed type and different rates were offered with different inclusions. I booked two king size executive level rooms including american breakfast. In the comments I asked for an extra bed in one room. The rate that I chose required advance payment.

When we arrived at the hotel I approached the front desk and was not greeted by anyone. I asked "can I check in?" and he acted like I was disturbing whatever he was doing. I passed him my confirmation number and he proceeded to tell me that he had two rooms, one king and two doubles. I commented that I had booked and paid for two king rooms. His answer was that all room types are based on availibility. After I insisted he told me that he could give me two kings but they would not be together which was not a problem for us. When I asked for the extra bed he again told me that none were available. At this point I was very frustrated and he told me that every hotel in the world worked the same, my answer was that I also work for a hotel and we never tell our clients NO without looking for a solution!! He instantly got on the radio and amazingly found the extra bed.

Our room was located in front of the executive lounge. The room was spacious and the bedding was very nice. The bathroom large and well stocked with supplies. The extra bed was in the room but only had a pillow and a sheet, no blanket.

We went accross the hall to check out the cocktail hour that came included in our room rate. The options were very limited, wine, beer or soda. Any other drink came with an extra charge. The breakfast the next morning was also very limited. Continental breakfast and a couple of chafing dishes with scrambled eggs, cold potatoes and beans. I asked if we could pay some kind of difference to eat breakfast in the regular breakfast and was told that I would have to pay the full price. The concierge in the lounge was very nice and did try to help the best that he could.

Our executive level rooms both came with traffic noise all night long. I had read reviews here that the "upgraded rooms" faced the pool so I was very disappointed with the location and noise. Our guests asked for a wake-up call at 8:30 and the call didn't come until 8:55!!

Overall a very disappointing experience, we will not be back.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank betonic
Moguel, Manager at InterContinental Presidente Merida, responded to this review, February 8, 2011
Dear Betonic,

First of all I would like to apologize for not fulfill all your expectations in the property and at the same time thank you for your very helpful review, this is what we really make us focus in or weaknesses and achieve the level of satisfaction that we desire.
We review and analyze every single point in your review and we began already with all the re-training in the areas involved.. Even that we know that this season is so hard and complicated because our high levels of occupancy, we must have the best performance in all areas and be ready to help anybody at anytime.

What I really regrets is that you only staid one night in our hotel, and the possibilities to demonstrate our level of service in one day of a 100% is too complicated… knowing that, we´ve been very carefully about the information that we received in our reservations web sites because unfortunately we do not have 127 extra beds considering that this is my rooms inventory, but we do try our best to satisfied everyone with their own requests… but in this specific case we have to considered as a request and at that time we haven´t one available.

Also after your review we are giving the option now to have the restaurant’s menu in lounge so in case of the Continental Breakfast is not enough or is not what you have on mind to eat, the concierge can make the order to the kitchen and be serve in lounge…. Same thing during the cocktail hours in lounge we offer two complementary drinks either wine or beer but we have an extensive bar menu that can be place in your table, all this is with the intention to bring you the most comfortable time in our exclusive floor.

What I can definitely promise is that we will continue with all the necessary training and creating and offering different options to make your stay unforgettable… In the name of the hotel I would like to apologize again for not cover your expectations.

We will be so happy if you can give us another opportunity next time you stay in Merida, I am posting my email so please do not hesitate to contact me anytime... I can guarantee this time we will exceed all your expectations and I will be so happy to meet you personally.

Gerente de Recepcion / Front Office Manager
Christian_moguel@interconti.com
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2010

The hotel is what you would expect from a 5 stars Intercontinental: the room is big and nicely decorated, the staff is friendly, polite and very helpfull. The breafast is execellent! You can find a variety of items, very good service of the restaurant employee, etc. They are preparing a specific type of eggs (I do not remember the name, but they are fried eggs with different ingredients on top) - please make sure you try them!
Also, the pool is good! Try to arrange for a view over the pool as the view is better and a street view will make the room noisier (the soundproof is not perfect).
The hotel is not centraly located but rather business located (unfortunatelly all 5 stars hotels were located within the business district which is quite far from the center so you will need a taxi if you want to visit the central of merida).

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bvcbv
Moguel, Manager at InterContinental Presidente Merida, responded to this review, November 18, 2010
Dear bvcbv,

I wanted to thank you very much for taking the time to post all your feedback about the hotel, this is what really allow us to do the right tracking so we can exceed and elevate our service..

About the eggs at our Frutas y Flores Restaurant , you are right are Fantastic, very typical, very Mexican, not really spicy.. and the name are "Huevos Motuleños" you can order it on the buffet station or to the waiter directly.

Definitely the rooms with and internal view are lovely, little balcony outside, view to the pool really make them the best in property.

Once again thank you very much and please do not hesitate to contact me, when you come back to Merida.

Best Regards,