“A Lovely Oasis on a Busy Trip”

Casa Azul Hotel Monumento Historico
Ranked #22 of 103 Hotels in Merida
Kentucky
“A Lovely Oasis on a Busy Trip”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

A recent business trip to Merida Mexico took me to the web to search for a hotel. Since I only had a few days in the city I wanted to find something unique that would give me a feel for the area and Casa Azul was the place I chose.

Casa Azul was one of the many mansions built in the early 19th century during the henequin boom. Many of these homes have been converted to boutique hotels.

The Casa is beautiful, my room was lovely and the staff could not have been more accommodating. This was a quite retreat after my business. I had breakfast each morning in the courtyard and actually set up my office out there to work for an afternoon (wireless is provided at no charge). The coffee was delicious as were the meals.
I stayed in Itzimna Suite; a lovely room with 18' high ceilings and a huge jetted tub with separate shower.

I did not have enough time to visit the city center but the Casa is about a 20 minute walk away. I had a free day and the staff arranged for a tour to Chichen Itza.

I highly recommend Casa Azul. Even though this was a business trip, I came home felling relaxed and refreshed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Casa Azul is absolutely wonderful. We have very high standards for hotels, and Casa Azul did not disappoint. The rooms, especially the master/owner suites, are large and have lovely comfortable furniture, including antiques. The bathrooms are luxurious, spacious and modern, with lots of high end amenities, stall showers plus tubs and huge fluffy towels. However, the rooms are all quite different. We stayed in the San Ildefonso suite (each room has a name), and it was our favorite. There is at least one guest room does not have a door on the bathroom (although it is still configured for privacy), but San Ildefonso has huge bathroom doors. It would be worth consulting with the front desk over the room configuration because they allow requests, including in advance, for particular rooms. Ask about light, noise, doors and windows. The air-conditioning and internet work well. The public space is charming, fun to hang out in and well appointed, so that you truly feel that you are the only visitors in a private mansion. There is a nice although small pool with good seating. Again, it is more like being in a high end private home than in a generic hotel. Best of all, the staff is outstanding and provides 24-hour excellent service. Somehow they always knew when we were returning to the hotel and greeted us at the front door. The food, which is available only for guests, is extremely good and the chef has an interesting menu that changes daily. Even the lunch and dinner menus are different although you can order whatever you want any time. He also welcomes special requests. If you don't know Merida, you may think the location is not ideal because it is a short ride to the central plaza, but this is actually a plus. The neighborhood is quieter and other good restaurants are close by. It feels much less touristy in this part of town. If you drive, they take good care of your car, parking it and bringing it back to you on a moment's notice. Taxis and horse carriages are easy to get and inexpensive.

Casa Azul was not the only five star boutique hotel we stayed at in Merida. We also tried Casa Azul's principal competitors. The others were reasonably nice as well, but honestly they were a little disappointing when compared to Casa Azul.

Room Tip: Talk with the front desk. Or pick the room called San Ildefonso.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank atw100
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

The location is indeed not the best, but I would generally argue that Merida is anyways not really worth a visit. And if you really need to go downtown (which is not worth the time away from Casa Azul), you can always get a taxi for cheap money.

But this hotel is unique. True luxury in every detail. A most luxurious bedroom which feels like the master's chambers of colonial palace, with a top quality bed, with the best mattress available on the market covered by Ralph Lauren cotton linen. You will sleep like in heaven. And that bathroom. Fabulous. In front of your room in the courtyard you will enjoy the most luxurious breakfast of your life. That cutlery, the service, the menu. Unique. True luxury in every detail. For me the perfect one night getaway from the normal Yucatan life, or the all inclusive resorts as it was in our case.
A unique experience which is not cheap, but yet worth every cent. I've slept in many hotels that charge astronomical amounts, but the bed in Casa Azul was second to none.
If you can afford it, treat your girlfriend/wife to a night there. You won't regret it.

• Stayed December 2012
Devizes, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We loved this little hotel which has been so beautifully restored. We only stayed one night but would happily have stayed longer. Our room was the only one with outside space, a balcony overlooking the lovely swimming pool area filled with flowers. The room was comfortable and in traditional style but with a modern and glossy shower room. The receptionist showed us some of the other rooms when we checked in as it was quiet, and one of the master suites had an absolutely amazing bathroom - ultra modern and chic, but with the traditional style bedroom. We like a mixture of modern and old. The dining area is by a very pretty inner garden with fountain quietly tinkling and it was so tranquil and elegant we had a light lunch there upon arrival rather than going out. Delicious lunch and also breakfast the next morning.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MyrtleWiltshire
san diego
Reviewed November 7, 2012

As a travel writer, I have inspected nearly every 3-5 star hotel in Merida, and I must say Casa Azul simply blew me away. First, my husband and I were greeted by the charming Pamela, one of three daughters who have helped to restore the "casa" as a family project along with her parents. They successfully brought this historical monument back to life. Guests are taken "back in time" to a period of pure royalty. They focus on the small details -- the fine china at breakfast, the rose petals in the jacuzzi, the newspaper (in a silk bag) hanging on the door handel, the personal umbrella and sunhat, the stunning antiques -- they thought of everything.

The bed was absolutely outstanding and is the closest thing to sleeping on a cloud. The thick mattress and soft duvet incase your body for the perfect night of sleep. Still can't believe I slept 11 hours straight! The staff are professional and attentive, yet approachable and gentle.

Guests even receive a leather journal or jewelry box engraved with your own name -- It was such a thoughtful momento to take home. Breakfast was delicious for a meal that is included in the price - Think fruit platters, homemade pastries, french toast, eggs benedict, etc.

If you want to feel like royalty, this is your place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SanDiegoNomad
Hiroshima Prefecture, Japan
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights this August. Although the hotel is located a little bit far from Zocalo (10 or 15 minutes walk from Zocalo), everything I experienced here was marvelous and unforgettable, such as their well-refurbished room, beautiful garden and very delicious dishes!!! Especially, I liked their staff service. The staffs were very friendly and thoughtful indeed. They satisfied all of my requests. When I have another opportunity to come back to Mérida, I never fail to stay in this hotel again!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Miami
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I have recently returned from Merida and can tell you that as a world traveller that I am, I can't think of any other OUTSTANDING experience.
The hotel has been brought back to the original splendor of the era and the exquisite taste that have been taken into the decor makes it a GEM.
The staff was impeccable, looking after every single detail of my needs. This is PERFECTION in the true meaning of the word...

Room Tip: Check out ITZIMNA Room
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business