All reviews vegan restaurant vegan breakfast lo que hay small pool comfortable beds rooms are large breakfast area street parking air conditioning an oasis few blocks beautiful hotel coffee or tea santa lucia every morning the location is perfect visit merida
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I kind of strolled into Merida unexpectedly with no firm plans except to see what Merida looks like. I did't have a place to stay so I went to the one place I had read the best reviews of, Luz en Yucatan. Sadly, no rooms that night but the man who answered the door referred me to Hotel Medio Mundo down the street. It i in an old, beautifully repaired and updated building. Jose checked me in and I immediately loved my room on the first floor facing the courtyard with 2 pairs of French doors (Spanish style, with multiple doors within doors with screens, frosted glass or solid black out and screened transoms above) opening out. Great with the ceiling fan there was plenty of fresh air with total privacy. Great, huge bathroom. Super breakfast. Jose was very nice, friendly, funny, helpful, can't say enough about his shining personality. Other staff were equally pleasant and friendly, as the Mayan seem to be. A most agreeable people, as were the Merideños in general that I met and interacted with. Soon after I checked in someone brought me a cool drink of hibiscus with ice. So refreshing after walking in off the hot Merida streets. Perfect location near everything you want to see.

Date of stay: April 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank DavidA51
Reviewed April 4, 2013

My wife, two kids (ages 8 and 11) and I stayed one night at the hotel. The nondescript street hides an amazing courtyard with plants and fountain. The rooms surround the courtyard with the pool in the back. The breakfast was amazing with fruit, yoghurt, muffins, and juice - more than enough for everybody. We got some excellent suggestions for restaurants with local food.

Warning - The mosquitoes were bothersome at breakfast. Bring bug spray. We bought some from the hotel for 80 pesos, which worked for us.

Room tip: The market on Sunday morning was nice but be sure to stick around for the shows that seem to last all day. We watched a magic performance that lasted about an hour before we had to go. The kids loved it.
Date of stay: March 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
3  Thank JackB274
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We loved staying at Hotel Medio Mundo. We arrived late at night, tired from traveling all day, and were warmly welcomed. The courtyard and the colors in this hotel are beautiful, and it was very relaxing. Our room upstairs was very comfortable and clean - plenty of room for the three of us. Comfortable beds and a clean bathroom. We also enjoyed the breakfast in a second courtyard by the pool. It was very healthy with fresh local fruit and yogurt, with tea or coffee, along with some bread, cheese, and a few sweets.

The hotel is also conveniently located a short walk to the center of town, but far enough from the busier streets not to be too noisy. And everyone was very friendly and helpful with directions and recommendations.

Date of stay: April 2013
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Quite a nice layout, although my one complaint is that in the afternoon when we needed a break from traipsing about Merida, there was not much sun in the pool area. Nice big room, comfy bed and pillows. A very nice, light continental breakfast was served each morning by the pool which I found lovely. Coffee needs to go on earlier though!!! lol ...they would get the first pot going for us each morning. Fantastic location, good price considering breakfast is included. Would absolutely use this hotel again on a return trip to Merida.

Date of stay: November 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Medio Mundo for 5 nights. We enjoyed it, but there are a few improvements I think they should make at a hotel that charges as much as they do. It was by far the most expensive hotel I stayed at in the Yucatan... where I spent two months. (My friend joined me for 9 days.) And frankly, it was not the nicest one.

The rooms are very basic, which is generally fine with me (as long as it's clean, which it was). One thing that surprised me was the amount of paint peeling off the walls in our room. Anywhere else wouldn't have bothered me so much, but it was peeling right behind my bed; and since the bed did not have a head-board, I wanted to prop up my pillows against the wall in order to read in bed... but I was hesitant to put my pillows up against the peeling paint! Also, it was peeling in the bathroom (badly) right where my towel would have touched the wall if I had hung it on the towel rack behind (above) the toilet! (We chose to cram both our towels onto the other towel rack.) Again, in a cheaper hotel you might be willing to put up with this kind of thing... but for $80 or $90 a night (which is NOT cheap in the Yucatan!), I would not expect to see this kind of thing... and did NOT see it at any other (much cheaper!) hotel I stayed at.

But generally, the Medio Mundo was pretty nice. We both enjoyed the breakfast they served in the back patio by the pool... by a friendly staff of young men. Also, the beds are very good. The only reason I am putting "average" instead of "very good" or "excellent" for sleep quality is that they have a fountain in the courtyard that some (all?) of the rooms face. At night, the sound of the running water is quite loud, and both my friend and I found it very hard to fall asleep (or back to sleep if we happened to wake up during the night). We asked if there was any possibility of them turning off the fountain during the night, and they said no.

The hotel is fine, but I think you can do much better for the price they charge.

Room tip: I would not recommend the room we stayed in. It was the closest one to the "office" (gift shop), as well as to the hotel entrance. We could hear every word people were saying if they happened to be talking as they walked into or out of the hotel... or were standing around chatting outside the office. I can't say for sure, but I think the rooms on the second floor might be quieter.
Date of stay: March 2013