Rosas & Xocolate Boutique Hotel & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
All reviewsrooftop baroutdoor bathtubchicharronchocolate massagejazz musicfree bikesbeautiful hotelpaseo de montejohuge ceilingsbreakfast was excellenttop choicepolloyucatecan cuisinegreat showersitting arearooms are bigcool off
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 16, 2012

Rosas & Xocolate was one of the highlights of our 9-day trip to Merida.
As an interior designer I was energized and duly impressed by the attention to detail
paid to not only the actual furnishings, but to the paint colors, the art, lighting, and specially- designed furntiure & custom doors.
The reviewer who mentioned the furniture being made of Balsa Wood, and who denigrated the style needs to reassess his chosen profession of "Designer"..... the hotel is perfectly beautiful.
As a diner I was also very impressed; there was alot of attention paid to the cuisine not to mention the presentation of the food, and the actual dishes and table settings.
Finally, we met the owner Carlos, who graciously gave us a tour of two rooms, as well as explaining about the custom-designed furniture and doors, and the multi-paned glass that solved the issue of street noise.
Carlos not only posesses a keen sense of high design, but he is a businessman who listens to the feedback he recieves.
A + all the way !

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LoloNyc
Reviewed January 13, 2012

I knew of this boutique hotel on the beautiful Paseo de Montejo from just walking by one year ago but wanted to stay there. It looks so beautiful and appealing from the outside. INSIDE was even better, a great blending of colonial and discrete contemporary touches. The owner has great taste and style; and worked in concert
with a very fine architect. This was five days of bliss; restaurant is getting better and better; developing wine list. Well worth the $$ and Merida is a relaitvely unknown gem and oasis. Safer than anywhere in the U.S.

Room Tip: It appears that they are all good.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Thomas G
Reviewed January 10, 2012

We loved our all too brief stay at this wonderful place. The staff and ownership are always doing their best to ensure an amazing stay. They succeed! We came down to look at a home to purchase and have stayed at other, larger hotels on the Paseo, but never again. Rosas y Xocolate is just fabulous! The restaurant, the bar, the architecture are all totally first class and the colors do, in fact, grow on you. Don't pass this one up!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Donald T
Reviewed January 4, 2012

A beautiful hotel, with amazing decoration and very classy details throughout the building. The hotel is a museum of modern Mexican architecture and interior design, just to see it is worth it.

The rooms are big, each one unique with some common features such as amenities (L'Occitane) and waterfall-like exterior shower/bath (most rooms), the tall ceilings and the amazing linen also make you want to stay in the room forever, topped up by the high-def TV sets and the Bose sound equipment.

Even as I read my own review I see how amazing the hotel can truly be if it weren't for the lack of professionalism in the service. To start with, most times the hotel reception is empty and the receptionists wear very different uniforms, making it confusing for guests to know who to turn to. There is no guide in the rooms as to how to dial from the telephone or a channel guide for the TV (usually very confusing for people who don't speak the language). We asked for an extra bed and it wasn't fully made (according to them) and the next day the extra bed was made completly different.

The hotel has an amazing bar with very good drinks and a very lively atmosphere, but the music is lound and very hard for the hotel guests to sleep well. We asked the hotel to turn it down several times, but it seemed that the bar guests where more important than those staying in the hotel.

Noise is a big problem for the hotel, the rooms aren't soundproof at all, in fact, sleeping in one of the MASTER SUITES was difficult, management was noticed about the required change and the response from MANAGEMENT was: "Well, a lot of people have slept there, I don't think there is a problem"

I understand sometimes guests are wrong, but MANAGEMENT should NEVER underestimate the opinion from someone staying in one of the best rooms... they should see it as constructive criticism and try to see how to make the problem a solution.

Another problem was that there was a NYE celebration in the hotel and the organising of it had taken up most of the hotel's free space, but never had I encountered that I could NOT use ANY of the hotel services starting from 2pm!!! 10 hours of preparation?!?! I wanted to have a drink, it never arrived (waited for 55 minutes and cancelled the order), we wanted to eat something (they said they couldn't serve food) and the Spa never answered the phone... so not only were we "trapped" in the room, but the hotel didn't "allow" us to spend money in-house. This is specially bad for the hotel!!

On the other hand, the hotel seems new and trying to cope with the demands of the guests. I also have to admit that the best shower and bath I have ever taken has been in this hotel... truly something to try.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank mx_pie
Reviewed December 30, 2011

The hotel was literally our favorite part of Merida. We stayed there for two nights in the Rosas Suite, well appointed, gorgeous bathroom, great terrace overlooking the Paseo Montejo, food was superb, spa service excellent, the ever-present staff helpful without being intrusive. The owner, in fact, hearing that I wasn't fully well, called a doctor friend of his, went to the pharmacy, and brought me back some over the counter medication which helped my situation. I gather that the hotel has won some architectural awards recently, and I'm not at all surprised. If you can't stay there, at least visit the restaurant and ask to see the hotel side.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family