“Excellent Food but what about the wine, and paper napkins?”

Rosas & Xocolate Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #24 of 855 Restaurants in Merida
Cuisines: Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I had the duck and my husband had the seared tuna. Both were excellent. But when we dine, wine is just as important as the food. The wines on their list were so expensive - ranging from about $90 for a Mexican red and going up sky high from there. A good South American wine would have been about $200 a bottle. We settled for a glass of wine each and sipped it slowly through the meal. We found that other nice restaurants in the Yucatan have good food and amazingly expensive wines. Restaurants that try to make their money on the wine list by charging twice as much as they should, will end up getting half as many customers. They should do the math. We also thought it was odd that in a restaurant like this, we were given one small paper napkin each. The service was a bit absent, even though we were almost the only ones there.

Carol K, Owner at Rosas & Xocolate Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2012

Our restaurant is known for our extensive wine list, which includes a variety of grapes and blends as well as origin and we take a great deal of care in its selection. We have two wine lists, one is a general arranged by prices, which starts at $400 pesos (aprox. $30 dollars U.S) and ranges up to $900 pesos ($68 dollars U.S), all of our prices includes 16% VAT (added value tax), which means that our entry level wine, less the tax, is $26 dollars U.S. a considerably competitive price. In addition we have a premium wine list for those clients that wish to experience this special selection. Good Mexican wines by nature are expensive, though very good and little known. I have no idea why they gave her a paper napkin, only at breakfast we use paper napkins and they are Kleenex deluxe kind. I think people should learn to communicate and resolve the issues to get the results desired and not look for excuses in order to complain, we have 25 employees in the restaurant and I can assure you we do everything possible to ensure our clients experience the real purpose of our efforts and investment.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stopped in on a lark and were amazed at what a wonderful find this restaurant is. Everything was terrific--the drinks, service, food, even the cutlery, glasses, and tablecloth were just lovely and obviously chosen with care. Must haves include the margaritas, fried octopus, veal and shrimp with mole, and both chocolate desserts. We went back twice and almost went back a third night. Would be our favorite restaurant anywhere.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

We were looking forward to our visit to this upscale restaurant but were terribly disappointed, particularly with the awful service. As a party of six, we waited comfortably while we had drinks and were seated early in the evening, well before the rush of the later diners. The waiter was courteous and took our orders quickly. After an unreasonable wait (we were one of only three tables in the restaurant at that point) the waiter brought five of the six meals and apologized that a mistake was made on the sixth and promised that it would be served in "ten minutes." After 20 minutes we began to ask questions. After we spoke to four different employees including the owner/manager we were told that we had made an error in our order (which we hadn't), but the meal would be served promptly. It was finally served about 40 minutes after the other meals had been served. I complained to the owner/manager who offered no resolution other than an apology (later, when it was clear we were ready to leave, the waiter offer desert...). When I explained how unhappy we all were and than the delay affected everyone in the party he responded that we had just eaten "the best meal you will get in Merida!" He clearly didn't understand that there is much more to a pleasant dining experience than the food that is provided. For the "best meal in Merida," I would recommend the Hacienda Xcanatun.

Carol K, Owner at Rosas & Xocolate Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Unhappy costumers is undoubtedly the worst possible results than any business wishes to have and I can assure you that we do everything possible to avoid such causes; however, it is unfortunate that a very small percentage is unavoidable.
This gentleman writes his criticism totally to derive at the effect he wishes to impart, which is to get even and hurt us as much as he can. Fortunately there is more to this story that he omits. To begin, when his group of 5 arrived the restaurant was indeed almost empty, they were received, seated and their order taken, while their order was being processed the restaurant experienced a tsunami of costumers that were here in a convention and within minutes we had over 100 people seated in the restaurant and to top it all the waiter made a mistake in one of the orders delivering the wrong plate. The attempt to correct the mistake was unfortunately delayed by two factors, one the dish was a rice dish that normally takes about twenty minutes to prepare and two the kitchen at that point was under siege with the new orders from the more than 100 customers. By the time I became aware of the problem the above gentleman was trying to get me to forgive the cost of the dinner of the five dinning and he kept asking what solution did I offer I said I would be happy to send desserts for everyone and he kept asking about not paying for anything in spite that four of the five ate perfectly well, I said I would send drinks over. As we negotiated the penalty his friend had already been served and was halfway through his plate. It is my feeling that this gentleman really thought of taking advantage of this situation in order not to pay for the meal and was not satisfied with the dessert offer or drinks. We must understand that we are human and mistakes do happen, in those remote events we always try to remedy according to the circumstances.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

I have never felt obligated to write a bad a review...but I don't want anyone else to be mislead...
My Mom & I just had dinner here tonight, and it was unfortunate. We both ordered 7 oz beef filet....not sure what cut we were actually served, but it was hardly edible. So tough that we could only cut away 1/4 of the meat before exhaustion. Total waste of a meal...and unfortunately it was Mom's birthday.
Another suggestion...a little more lighting around outside dining area...
Maybe we just had a random bad experience...but I think it's worth noting...

2  Thank mdowell
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Second time we have eaten here. Service and food over the top. All dishes were excellent especially duck breast. Can't wait to go back on next trip.