“Richards many stays at the Hotel Posada Toledo”

Hotel Posada Toledo & Galeria
Ranked #78 of 106 Hotels in Merida
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I have stayed with these kind and thoughtful folks many times over the last two and a half decades. The staff is friendly and very helpful with arranging tours to local attractions; Chichen Itza, Uxmal, etc. Rooms are comfortable but sparce. Downstairs rooms are large with wonderful carved doors and a reception area reflecting the 19th century ambience of a colonial hacienda. Breakfast is continental only and not as good as it could be. However there are many nearby good choices. The Hotel Posada is close to town, on a busy corner and can be noisy. I continue to recommend it to anyone looking for comfort with a colonial feeling.

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor room away from the street side. Room #4 is near the streets intersection and c...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank richard c
There are newer reviews for Hotel Posada Toledo & Galeria

Reviewed January 6, 2013

The courtyard is lovely, the staff friendly, breakfast fine and the prices reasonable if you book ahead online, as we did. But scrape the surface and it disappoints. The room was not very clean or well maintained. We had no hot water in three days. Internet was intermittent. And we did not get much sleep as the room (no. 3, I believe) is right on a busy street so we endured either continual traffic noise or the mighty roar of the big brown air conditioner, which looked to be from the 1970s.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor rooms on the (noisy) street side, to the right as you enter.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stayed in room 17 for 5 nights. I sent a picture to my son and he commented "Looks like a room from a slasher movie". Was not a very well upkept room. Definetely needed some TLC.
+ +The noise kept going all the time, noisy air conditioner, street traffic, sewer covers banging constantly 24 hours a day. the only good comment about the noise is that we could here the horse and buggy go by. Was kind of neat, Clop clop clop clop amonst the buses cars and the vehicle horns.
After 5 nights we moved to a different room, I expressed my concerns to the front desk and they moved us to room 26. Thanks to Getty at reception for listening to my concerns.
The new Room 26 was a charmer. Spacious and very comfortable now that we are used to harder Mexican beds. The inner door doesn't lock properly and I did not mention it to the staff because I had most valuables with me. That reminds me, their is no room safe. We had to use a cheap wooden locker under some stairs near the front door in an unsupervised area. This is an area I would suggest management should look at.
Breakfast was a good meal and service in the dining area was very good.
Reception was helpful and friendly, Service from staff was okay. Hotel is old and somewhat charming. Location is excellent. Only a couple of hundred steps to see the Main Square. Is convenient to many eating and shopping and locations.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights during Christmas. Our toilet didn't flush, no hot water and internet was hit and miss (mostly miss!). We reported every problem to the front desk and they did send someone up to check out the plumbing but it was not fixed. Our friends stayed in room #11 and didn't have any problems! Good luck!

Room Tip: do NOT accept room #15!!!!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

The rooms are small but okay. AC made much noise, so you have to turn it off when you want to sleep. Our toilet didnt flush, we had to try it 2/3 times before it worked. Shower was very good. Breakfast is the same everyday and not much variation. The atmosphere was nice, Internet worked fine, but overall it is a little bit overpriced.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

I stayed with my fiance for three days. I found the hotel over the Internet and I liked it because of the Colonial theme they had shown on the pictures. When we got there we were disappointed as although service was very nice, the room was very ugly. Every time we needed something we had a quick yes and delivery yet we had other expectations.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I had stayed at HOTEL POSDA TOLEDO for 4 days. I had no trouble with theft. Camera, cell phone, money and other belongings were left in tact as I left them upon returning to the room (spread atop of the dresser). I had approached the owner about the former incident of the stolen computer and was told the incident very likely did occur but assured me that the person who had cleaned the room was dismissed from the job for that reason. I wholeheartedly believe its completely SAFE!!! it was demonstrated by the personal who worked there.
The hotel is centrally located- next door to the Best Western Yucatan (they charge 4 times the price of a room) - and just a few blocks to the Zocalo. You will be pleased with the traditional take of this place. I shopped around town before committing to this hotel; it was by far the most attractive of ones I have seen with similarly competitive pricing. Old tradtional doors surrounding a central courtyard with beautiful flowers and plantings. Spacious rooms with old traditional pasta floors and antique furniture, non-sagging mattress with clean white sheets and clean white bedspread (light in weight). The room is tided-up everyday...the bed is made as new with fluffed-up pillows (no stain on sheets or pillows). The room is also kept comfortable with a new panasonic split air-conditioner and a 5 speed fan to keep cool. The price of the room comes with a delicious breakfast (served from 7A-10A) - choice of freshely made coffee or expresso, an incredible plate of fruit filled with papaya, cantalope-honeydew and banana, freshly squeezed orange juice, yogurt, cereal, toast (cream cheese and butter accompaniment) assorted pasteries. Breakfast is served either in the patio or in the formal dining room. Old family pictures abound the room with antiques dating back to the 1860´s. A curio cabinet filled with china and family memorabilia is displayed in the dining area along with other antiquated furnishing. The owner did mention that the dining area will begin serving dinners such as salmon, lobster caught from the nearby gulf, pasta, salads and other wonderful local edibles. The attendant at front desk is happy to call in a delivery for you in the event you want pizza, as, I did. Also, all local phone calls in Merida are at the expense of the hotel. Each room has a phone. If you need a cell phone, they can arrange for one. There is wireless service at the premises. A tour of the facility can be had as the hotel has a interesting history that can be enjoyed by those who visit. All-in-all I have found a truly remarkable jewel in midst of a busy city, with old mexican architecture and moorish influences (french influences in some room furnishing), yet the indoor seclusion and noise buffer of the mini hacienda´s walls allows for a quite and tranquil stay. I believe, you too, will be pleased. For the price, amenities, historic value, centrality and a terrific breakfast this place cannot be beat. I must say, photographs taken of this place does not do it justice...the only thing I would change is possibly the lighting in the room.

Room Tip: I had room number 8 - I was pleased with it. If you want a room with original french influenced fur...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends