“super cheap, quiet, and quaint”
Review of Hotel Mucuy

Hotel Mucuy
Ranked #84 of 105 Hotels in Merida
Reviewed January 1, 2010

After staying in much more expensive, upscale hotels for the previous 3 nights we stayed here. It was our first good nights sleep.
The rooms and bathroom are simple and clean. The courtyard and staff are great.

A very good hotel for the money!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank vtviajera

Reviewed August 11, 2009

After reading several positive reviews of the Mucuy, we decided to stay there. On arrival, the room had not been cleaned and we were greeted by two large roaches. Towels and linens were, we believe, simply put out to dry and never washed. To make a long story short, we found another hotel after some angry young person (we are 63/70) with diarrhea 'pooped' in the pool and the management just let it stink (no draing of pool or anything). I know this hotel was once a good place to stay but the lady running it is old and her staff is lazy, to put it mildly. BTW, we are fluent in Spanish.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2009

I was in love with Merida, Mexico before I discovered the Hotel Mucuy, but it is now my love as well. I again stayed there this month. A mere two blocks from the heart of activity in Centro, the care and love shown by Ms. Ofelia and staff and the restful atmosphere is my definition of Hotel Mucuy. The heat in Merida in summer is the same as my area of Texas so I was not uncomfortable or surprised by it. The hotel is a little oasis from the hustle of the city and I love it. Patt Barrington, Orange, Texas

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
4  Thank PattusaTexas
Reviewed March 7, 2009

As with anything else, people make all the difference. What sets Hotel Mucuy apart from any place I have stayed is the hostess, Senora Ofelia. Based on the regulars she has who keep coming back (in one case, annual visits for thirty years!), I would say that Senora Ofelia offers something really special. Sure, the location and the price are fantastic, but it's really the way that Senora Ofelia opens herself up for interaction that goes way beyond the perfunctory, that's what sets this place apart.

Her two dogs, Lena and Whiskey, her residence off to the side of the lobby are just little markers of the fact that though this is clearly a business venture, Senora Ofelia is sharing her home with her guests. I'm ready to return!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank PeterBraun28210
Reviewed March 3, 2009

We stayed one night at Hotel Mucuy and my first impression of the hotel was how easily they trusted us, but made us feel relaxed after we checked in. The inner courtyard was lovely with tiled floors and a beautiful rose bush in front of our room (109). I was dismayed about the bed because they were uncomfortable. Our hot water did work for one shower, but not enough for a second shower. There was a television with remote (which you receive when you check in, then return when you check out). Taxi's are everywhere, so you won't have trouble getting one early in the AM to the airport/bus station. We were a 10 minute walk to the Plaza Mayor and enjoyed the Folklorico dances on Sunday evening. A friendly place to visit.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank jkblu58
Reviewed February 20, 2009

I stayed at Hotel Mucuy for two nights. It had a great location, was clean, adequate sized room, and was great value for the price. The hotel itself was pretty cute, with some patio tables surrounding a small pool. I couldn't get any hot water, but all the same, I think this is definitely a great choice if you're in Merida.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2009

I knew about this hotel from the Moon book before I went, but I booked at another one and after going to see the Mucuy, moved to it after a few days. The Mucuy was less money for nicer grounds, a pool, and a still-comfortable room, and closer to the main square, restaurants, etc.
The grounds are gorgeous and well-kept. There is a 2nd floor deck that is really pleasant to sit out on, under the shade of the umbrella, and a really nice pool area (the pool is very clean and the water refreshing, almost cold). The gardens are beautiful.
The room wasn't as good as my first hotel, but it was clean and comfortable, had good hot water, a firm but comfortable bed, good pillows, and air conditioning (costs 50 pesos/day extra). When I travel, I am looking for clean and comfortable, not luxrious and well-appointed - after all, I am only sleeping there, not living there. The Mucuy room met my requirements just fine. There is 24 hour entrance security. The staff speaks little English, but are friendly and helpful. Before moving to the Mucuy, when I went to check it over I left a deposit of 200 pesos to hold the room. When I arrived 2 days later, the owner said that would do until I left, which was 8 days later - very trusting. Overall, the grounds are 3-star, but the rooms are too basic to be 3-star; maybe 2. For me, basic is just fine, when it is clean and quiet like this.
The only negative was a restaurant/bar next door that had a loud band playing every afternoon (within the Mucuy the sound was muffled but still irritating), but the band stopped about 6PM, and then it was quiet.
I would very happily stay in the Mucuy any time I am in Merida.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo