“A quiet hideaway”
Review of Hotel Mucuy

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Merida
Hotel Mucuy
Ranked #76 of 103 Hotels in Merida
London, United Kingdom
“A quiet hideaway”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

A very chilled hotel, which has a nice pool to cool off in. Rooms are basic and clean. Short walk to city center.
Would definitely stay again and recommend it. It is very peaceful here, staff are friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Shelby444

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Portland, Maine
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

This was such a good choice for 225 pesos. The little pool was a great place to cool off in. There were snacks and drinks for sale in the lobby. Our room was basic with a private bath. We both found it clean and quiet. The location was central. Many good food options abound. The lady behind the desk was very warm and friendly. Merida is a great town, and we loved staying here at the Mucuy. They seemed to have a basic recipe of simple, honest service, clean rooms, and real prices. It is always good to see these little old places doing things right.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank NewMexicoScraps
Long Beach, California
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I have stayed at the Mucuy for years, usually it is my last night before flying back to USA.

Always look forward to seeing Whiskey, scotty dog who greets me there.

The garden and lovely sitting pool to cool off or sit by in the evening are wonderful.

My rooms have always been neat and clean.

The staff have always ensured my taxi was there and I was awakened as requested to make it early to airport.

They remember me when I come back.

Highly recommended as a budget yet charming hotel.

Great to be able to walk to dinner and the night life in Merida from the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank sabelsart
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 3, 2013

The courtyard is gorgeous. The staff, especially the owner, are super nice. These 2 elements made it worth the stay.

It is super budget though. What is spent on maintaining the garden and pool takes away from cleanliness of the rooms. I did find that as I left a daily tip, the room appeared to progressively become cleaner.

The cost is super cheap, but it is just a step up from staying in a mixed dorm in those old hotels from way back in the day! I didn't see mice, but lots of spiders. Even with using tonnes of repellent on myself and the bed, I still came out with bites.

If you are on a super tight budget, want to mingle with others, like the idea of wifi only in the courtyard and want your own space, This may be the place for you. If you care about cleanliness and can afford an upgrade, pay the extra and get something else.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank gdsn

Travelers are raving about these Merida hotels

atlanta
Reviewed June 27, 2012

This hotel is clearly basic, as is reflected in the extrememly low price. My old Merida neighbor, Alayne, from Canada only stays here when visiting. So that is why I showed up here at the Mucuy, to be near to my old friend. The location is right downtown. The place has a pretty garden. But most of all it has a new very small pool. Anyone, who has spent more than 10 minutes in Merida knows the value of jumping into cool water after walking around in the blazing hot sun for a few hours. I would be willing to stop in, pay the price of a room just to take a cool dip. So in that way the room is just thrown in extra. And as for the room. . .very basic. . .but with hot water, if you let it run long enough. Worth the tiny price.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank jtbarg
Cheney, Washington, United States
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Location and price were decent. The elderly lady at the front desk was civil-enough, but not particularly friendly or helpful. The courtyard was pleasant and lovely-looking. But I don't think I'd go back, and here's why:

1. The little black scotty-dog seemed to us to have very little personality other than his dogged determination to try to urinate on absolutely everything, including our feet and our bags (thankfully we were able to thwart him from those targets, but it was not easy), the pool, the pool shower, the patio furniture, the stairs, walls, potted plants, etc. We arrived early and had to wait about an hour and a half for our room to be ready (certainly not unreasonable or unpleasant in and of itself), but we had to be vigilant and sometimes shoo, yell, flap arms, and/or stomp feet to fend off the urinary intentions of the dang dog. We tried to make nice with him from the start, but he never did show any interest in being petted or talked to nicely. We are dog- and cat-people, but this little guy was straight-up annoying.
2. The room was frankly pretty grubby and grimy. We found a few big globs of previous guests' hair plastered to the bathroom floor and wall. The shower area was pretty cruddy and crusty. We were afraid the bathroom sink was going to completely fall off the wall; it was already cracked away from the wall and sagging at an angle. The corners of the room looked like they had not been swept or mopped in YEARS. There was a VERY thick layer of nasty dust on many surfaces. Without having previously mentioned it aloud, my mother and I both woke up at different times in the night with bad dreams about bedbugs in the room. While the bedbug fears seem to have been (thankfully) unfounded, it speaks to the over all griminess of the room.

I have stayed in a LOT of cheap hotel rooms all over Mexico, and this one was definitely one of the grubbiest ones. Certainly pretty disappointing, compared to the positive reviews. Honestly, we got the feeling that this hotel is just staggering along just on its reputation, the pretty courtyard, and the goodwill of some loyal guests, but that these crutches are not enough to redeem the cruddy room or keep the hotel from falling into serious decline over the next several years, unless somebody steps in and vigorously revives it.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank SarahMZ
Powell River BC
Reviewed December 6, 2011

I have been going back to the Mucuy since 1987. It feels like coming home, the owner and the staff are very friendly and helpful (once I had a bad case of the turista and the thermos of camomile tea was much appreciated, thank you). Rooms are basic, clean, and the courtyard is a quiet oasis in the busy city. Easy and safe to walk everywhere. A bonus is the cheap and efficient laundry a block down the street.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple