“charming, comfortable and an amazing value!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Merida
Casa Mexilio Guest House
Ranked #29 of 80 Merida B&B and Inns
Lowell, Massachusetts
“charming, comfortable and an amazing value!”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I cannot say enough about how great our 5 days at Casa Mexilio were. From the gorgeous antique decor to the friendly and helpful staff to the lush courtyard garden and refreshing waters of the pool to the delicious daily breakfast - everything about Mexilio exceeded our expectations. Entering the guest house feels like stepping back in time, in a good way! The staff helped us get settled, let us know about cultural events in Merida, arranged a day trip to Uxmal, and even hosted a lively evening of music for guests on our last night. A definite steal in terms of the price, especially when you consider the delicious, homemade breakfasts included in the rate. A rare treat in the way of hotels, I highly recommend to anyone looking for a hotel with character and charm, and a unique way to experience Merida.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 15, 2014

It felt like I was stepping back in time every time I entered Casa Mexilio. The architecture and furnishings are elegant and lovely. The courtyard was so relaxing with the sound of the fountain and lush greenery all around the pool. Nice views from the roof deck. Every day we were served a different, delicious breakfast. The rooms and common areas were impeccably clean.

All in all, Casa Mexilio was a wonderful combination of location, value, and hospitality. Bonus points for all the cats running around.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Wonderful place in Mérida. We stayed for three nights and it was magic. We arrived at night and it was like traveling back in time. Sort of 19th century atmosphere. The staff were super helpful. It can be a bit scary if you don't like that vintage style. But for us it was all about good taste. And the breakfasts were just awesome!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 21, 2013

The house (an active home still) has obviously been adorned with love and care by a trained eye. It is an old jewel. There was something everyday in my 4 night stay to hold my gaze. The breakfasts were simple, elegant and delicious. This is not a B&B for those who want handholding from the owners. With that said I found it a great place to start our days while exploring Merida and beyond.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Lethbridge
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I booked this hotel for one night in Merida and it looked interesting and unique on the website. When we checked in they brought us to a room and I hopped in the shower. While I was in the shower my husband went down to the reception to complain because there was a cat in our room and the room smelled like cat urine. I am deathly allergic to cats as well. When I came out my husband was fuming because the owner had been so rude. The owners response was "if you dont like it-leave". If it wasnt already 9pm, and we hadnt been driving all day we likely would have looked for another hotel, but since it was just for night. We went down and after complaining to the owner he said would go have a look to see if the room really smelled, but not after saying that we were not open minded people who embrace animals. I said that on the website it says the hotel is not child-friendly, they should indicate that it is pet friendly and I would not book it. Anyways, after checking the room he agreed it smelled but blamed us for letting the cat into our room. While he agreed to move us, he did also offer us a drink and appetizers in the lounge. This was some compensation, for the previous behaviour. We moved to the next room and it was dark and dingy and dusty. We only stayed for the one night. My husband fell ill from food poisioning, but rather than spend another minute in that hotel, I packed him up and went looking for another place.
I would not recommend this place to anyone. The layout is interesting and kind of unique and it has potential but overall, it is just bizarre and dirty and the owner is a bitter ex-pat that has been in Mexico too long and has lost all graciousness toward guests. Redeeming qualities-the rest of the staff although they do not speak any English are really helpful and sweet. They helped me with my husband when he was sick and they were very kind and considerate.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gypsytravels
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

I was SHOCKED to see a curt email in my inbox tonight very rudely informing me that the reservations I had made for myself and my senior citizen parents for early February (2weeks from now) will not be honored by the hotel, despite the fact that we made the reservations in December and have already paid a deposit. The email is pretty fishy sounding to me, but Roger (the owner?) stated that he couldn't honor our reservation due to the "noise and crowds" of the upcoming Carnival season. ????? I find this incredibly hard to believe for the following reasons: 1) the "noise and crowds" of carnival could hardly be something new--if this was truly an issue affecting service from years past, a normal, professional hotel would have taken measures to address this well in advance of two weeks before carnival; 2) again, if this was truly an issue in the past, the hotel should never have allowed reservations to be made during this time period; 3) even STRANGER than all that...in early January Roger had also emailed me to ask if I "really" was planning to stay at the hotel for the dates I had reserved (and had paid for), because if not, he had many, many other customers lined up for my rooms due to the popularity of carnival. Hence, I have the distinct impression that I'm getting booted from my rooms because Roger has found a more attractive offer from someone else. Regardless, this treatment is extremely rude, unprofessional, and inconvenient, as I now have to scramble to find two rooms during carnival just a few days before we leave for Mexico. UNBELIEVABLE. I am writing this review to warn others to not take a reservation with this hotel seriously. They will boot you without notice. Totally unreliable and unprofessional. Look elsewhere if you want to be sure you actually have some place to sleep when you get there.

Stayed January 2013
10 Thank Rv U
Merced, California
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Casa Mexilio is an amazing colonial mansion that's been transformed into a serious of guest rooms (all thematic..such as "Frida Kahlo" room) and stairs, pathways, nooks , crannies. I have stayed there two times...a couple of years apart. The first time, the place was full, and breakfast was served on the patio roof. Cooked to order Yucatecan breakfast. The rooms and public areas are filled with antiques, historical artifacts and interesting objects. The pool is teensy but charming..it was dug into the center patio and covered in vines, plants, and very little sunlight- making it refreshing on hot, humid Merida days. If you speak Spanish, the guys are incredibly filled with Mexican colonial history knowledge . The next time I was there, it was during the swine flu scare, and no one was there. Therefore, they gave us vouchers to a local Merida breakfast institution, because it wasn't worth them lugging all the food up for flights of stairs for two of us.The rooms and furnishings are amazing- many have lofts built into them which are so quirky. The guys are very helpful recommending local historical restaurants, arqueologia sites, stores, hammock factories (great deals) etc. Definitely unique but not for the visitor who doesn't like to engage with fellow travelers.

Room Tip: The Frida room has the pool right off the door, but there's less privacy. The Manual de Falla r...