“In Desperate need of rennovation”

Mision Merida Panamericana
Ranked #9 of 106 Hotels in Merida
Reviewed August 7, 2008

I hate to give this hotel a terrible review because the staff was very corteous and professional (for the most part). However, the hotel conditions were hard to ignore. The hotel looked as if it hadn't been maintained over the years, it was somewhat creepy, especially at night. I was amazed to see so much old stuff that still worked, our beds were not comfortable and in need of replacement. The bathroom looked as if it'd been rennovated but we found that the toilet didn't work, my wife had to go down and ask them to switch our room, they said they would send someone up to fix it. Someone came up to look at it and then told us we would have to move. The person at the front desk looked at us as if we were an inconvenience and hesitantly assigned us another room. Aside from this person, the rest of the staff was very friendly and highly professional. But like I said you get 5 star service in a 1 star hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ocfelix26
There are newer reviews for Mision Merida Panamericana

Reviewed August 26, 2007

This facility is clean and comfortable.

They have a restaurant on-site, which I can not get to due to restricted mobility.

I stayed at the hotel for several days. I was not within easy distance of a restaurant, so every morning I called room service for a very simple breakfast. I ordered the same item off the menu each morning, but each morning I was charged a different amount, and each day the price was higher than the day before.

When I asked, I was told that the person who waited on me the day before had made a mistake on the bill.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed February 16, 2007

not enough towels left n the room - got little red bumps from the sheets/mites? when we checked out they made us pay for our room even though we had a package deal - nearly missed our return flight as no manager on site - then when he came he ran upstairs and never came down - seems they don't know how to use a computer - took money fast enough though. took us over two months to get our refund. won't stay there again.

Stayed: December 2006
6  Thank juanandtwo
Reviewed October 28, 2006

This 100 years old hotel located 3 blocks from main historic plaza, although convenient, is in urgent need of remodeling. The rooms are gloomy, and the rattan furniture is worn out. The whites are old and smelly. The rates are too high for this kind of quality. There is not even an alarm clock in the room, and the key system is so outdated it reminded me of the punch card Hollerith system.

The staff is courteous and efficient, however, at the end of the day, that does not quite cut it.

muyserio_usa@yahoo.com

Stayed: October 2006
6  Thank muyserio_usa
A TripAdvisor Member
Ft. Walton Beach, Florida
Reviewed December 28, 2005

Mision Merida was a huge disappontment. The source of my dismay was with the promised but undelivered services. I was informed complimentary breakfast had a different meaning when translated to Spanish. A complimentary breakfast cost us 150 peso per person. I consulted a Spanish/English dictionary and I was unable to find an alternate meaning for complimentary. It means gift. The hotel management informed me that they had a translation problem and that they would get back with me. They never did. I felt like I was deceived.

• Stayed: December 2005
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
alexandria VA
Reviewed December 24, 2005

For the price this really is the worst hotel in Merida. My stay was a nightmare. At first glance my room looked okay, but then after using the shower, there was a terrible smell in the room, it was like living in a sewer. I tried to have the problem fixed, but the handyman told me that there is a problem with the plumbing in the hotel, and it affects most of the rooms, and it can only be fixed temporarily. So I switched rooms, and the second room had dirty sheets, and was very uncomfortable. I then went around Merida looking for another hotel, it was not long before I found one that was much better and for the same price. Actually there are several hotels in Merida much cheaper, and much better than Mision Merida. Some of the staff in the hotel were nice decent people, but for the most part they were rude and incompetent. Especially the manager of the front desk, who found it hilarious that I was not happy in my room. The manager was giving me a hard time about leaving the hotel. After having to spend my time arguing with the manager, I was able to leave. The hotel I moved to was much better, cleaner, and included much more with the room for the same price.

• Stayed: December 2005
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 26, 2005

We, two experienced travelers who both speak fluent Spanish stayed at this hotel in December of 2004 for two weeks. We were overcharged by the hotel and the travel agent. When we left at 5AM on New Year's Day we were charged for breakfast (which we had been assured several times by the travel agent and hotelier was included). They had also promised to summon a taxi for the trip to the airport but none was available. Neither us nor another couple (from Texas with the same experiences in the hotel)could afford to miss the only flight that day so we paid the charges and left. Together we found a taxi.
The water in the room was never hot, the ac did not work, and 'best' of all the toilet would not flush correctly. Attempts to get changes in this situation were met by excuses and more excuses.
Staff at the desk was evasive at best, outright liars at worst.
Never again at the Mission Merida.

• Stayed: December 2003