“Good deal”

Ranked #9 of 103 Hotels in Merida
Aguascalientes, Mexico
“Good deal”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights, the location is very good, we liked the hotel's architecture and the service in general, we didn't eat anything at the hotel because Merida and the surroundings has a lot to offer in food. We got a large room which of course had a lot of space, the bathroom was OK, the bed to us wasn't soft enough and the air conditioning a bit noisy, the pillows were not the best either but after a long day the experience was not that bad but definitely they need to improve on this. It wasn't the best hotel we have ever stayed but it was above average mainly because of the location and price, when you are in a city where you will walk a lot the location matters.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
direct0rH0tel, Gerente at Mision Merida Panamericana, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable comments which will be corrected to improve your experience at Misión Mérida Panamericana.

We are looking forward to serve you on your next visit to this beautiful city.

Regards

Jorge Arteaga
Director Misión Mérida Panamericana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Hebrew first
Belize
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I had travelled with a group of friends to Merida for a pageant. We were to stay 3 nights). We had chosen this hotel given the proximity to downtown. Let me be fair by naming the good and bad things.

Good: lovely architecture, nice lighting inside, breakfast is good, has a nice looking pool (trust me the pool is only pretty to watch, not to go & bathe in it), renovations were being made at the time (which means they are taking time to make it prettier and nicer), proximity to downtown, the lovely love/coin fountain at the entrance.

Bad: the rooms are in dire need of some color. Every thing from the tiles, curtains, bed sheets, pillows are the colors black and white. It gave me a sort of gloomy/sad feeling each time I entered the room. I don't think it should be that way. Some sort of painting(s) should be added to the wall for color or atleast maybe a vase of flowers.
The pool: we had longed to just jump in the pool cos it looked so inviting, so on our final day we bought some beers & went around the pool. I was the first to jump and I came out about 10 seconds after because the water was sooooooooo cold. My friends were teasing me cos they said it couldn't possibly be that cold, so I dared them to jump in. (I took out my video camera and had fun videoing each of their funny expressions when they jumped in and realized how freezing the water was)... so no one stayed in the pool. They all jumped out almost as fast as they had jumped in. lol.

One key: I was sharing my double room with one friend, but i reached there almost at 5:00 am and had wanted to just sleep after the long night's travel. When I was given my hotel key, I told them my friend was to reach about 2 hours later, so they said they were going to call me to wake me up when he reaches so I can open the door because they only had one key for the room. It just sounded crazy and exhausting so i just went to open my room then walked back all the way down reception again and told them to not wake me up but to rather give him the key when he arrived because I would be sleeping.

Anyway, overall, the weekend with the friends was nice...if you asked me if I would stay there again..maybe not, unless my friends decide to stay there again and I wouldn't want to be the odd one out. lol

Room Tip: take a picture with the coin fountain in the background :)
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
direct0rH0tel, Gerente at Mision Merida Panamericana, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Leeah,

Thank you for your kind comments which are valuable for us to correct and improve the details that you have mentioned.

We are looking forward to serve you on your next visit to show you all the improvements to our services and facilities.

Regards

Jorge Arteaga
Director Misión Mérida Panamericana
Cozumel, Mexico
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Nothing is missing, but given the hotel's ancient architectural beauty, it would be worth investing in remodeling corridors and rooms that would make it a true classic hotel. Having all that kind of baroque art, needs to bee cleaned more constantly in those small nooks that are easily to catch dust.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank PatMDG
Merida, Mexico
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel many times. It is in a pretty good location for staying in Merida Centro. The front part of the building is a restored mansion the back where the hotel rooms are located seem to have been built in the 1960's. Getting the 'right' room can be a bit hit or miss. I've gotten a huge room nearly a suite ( with seperate sitting room) to small & dinky with outdated bathroom. They actually do have some really nice rooms with very nicely upgraded bathrooms. The trick is to try to check in on the early side and simply ask at the reception desk that you be put in a room with one of the newer bathrooms and they will. No extra charge. A couple of times one of the hotel staff have taken me to a couple of rooms & let me pick which one I'd prefer to stay in.
They do have wifi and inexpensive room service here . The room service staff are really quick. Even if you only order a Coke & some ice they will be there in a couple of minutes very happy to serve you. I don't reccomend the breakfast buffet , I had that once and it was pretty dismal. What ever you order from the room service or courtyard restaurant is alright , not fabulous but the prices are so reasonable that you don't care.
This hotel is located just a few blocks from the central Mercado (shopping district) and from the Central Square of the city where the Cathedral is located. As well they do have a later check out time of 1pm which can be pretty handy if you'd like to do something outside the hotel in the morning.

Room Tip: Make sure that you ask for a better bathroom or you will end up with one of the ones with an old din...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Fredrikstad, Norway
Reviewed March 8, 2012

The Hotel is a old building, hacienda style. However, the lack of maintenance of it make it look cheap. It is a shame as the building is hacienda style and it would be beautiful completed restored.

The room was wide but the details on it making to look so bad. The tub was and old one just cover in white paint and with rust on it.

The only thing that was outstanding was the service provided by the staff. Definitely, the front desk staff and waiters at the restaurant for dinner were very pleasant and quick accomplishing all the requests done to them.

The pictures shown at the website where I booked, where not accurate and if I could know how it really look like for sure I could pic another option where to stay the night.

Room Tip: If you need a place near downtown for sure you can find a better option to sleep than this!!!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed August 31, 2011

When you enter the hotel through the main-entrance, it looks amazing. Great Classical-Greek style, with Corinthian Columns and marble floors, a big fountain in the middle with palm trees. The restaurant is located around all that, which is great.

The rooms though, are not the same. They are clean and have big windows, but could use some work. Another strange thing (that we came across more than once in Mexico): When you book a 2 person-room, you will get a room with 2 (small) double beds. But when you book a 3 person-room, you will get the same room, with 2 (small) double beds. Strange thing, if you travel with colleagues or other people you don't want to share your bed with.

The hotel is located in the city-center of Merida. Next to the hotel is a private car park, which is free for hotel guests.

The Hotel has elevators, and if you go to the top floor and then take the stairs, you'll get on the rooftop. From here you've got a GREAT view over the city (especially by sunset). Although there's no sign, it's not completely legal to walk over the rooftop, but hey, who really cares.

The restaurant is good, serves varied food at reasonable prices. The food is good, very colorful and well-flavored.

The swimming pool looks old and unattractive. Water of air-conditionings is falling down right on your head and the overall impression of the pool makes you want to leave it.

Other pros and cons:
+ free WiFi all over the building
+ nice view at the rooftop

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank M-Z-Photography
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed August 13, 2011

The place is beatifull, but....the day we arrived was a Tuesday service was ok, kind of slow but that is the pace there, but by Thursday the place was full and the service just went bad, the people was rude, The restaurant was the worst, they are short of personnel, Bottom line, worth having a drink at the bar, but service even at the recepcion desk is terrible.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business