“Substandard "four star" hotel”

Hotel Ambassador Merida
Ranked #81 of 103 Hotels in Merida
Texas
“Substandard "four star" hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2007

We were booked into this hotel as Royal Hideaway hurricane Dean evacuees and paid for our own room. It was advertised as a four star hotel, but it is not, in any way, shape or form. How they got their four star rating, I will never know. I would put in a class lower than a motel 6. The room we were assigned had two standard HARD double beds and on the top floor (5th). No coffeemaker. No remote. Another one of group couldn't get the volume control on the front of the tv to work. A maintenance man came up to check on it, and couldn't get it to work either. He came back with a remote and adjusted the volume, and left with the remote. He wouldn't let the guest have it. The bathroom is another story. The shower had hair in the bottom of the stall. We weren't the only ones. Others in our group had the same problem. There was a low cement wall over the sink area and if you were tall, had to be careful not to bend over without watching your head. I whacked it a few times brushing my teeth. Then there was the mysterious power outage in our room. The window-type air conditioner was roaring, but no lights and the plugs didn't work, beginning at 2 am. At 7:30 am, they were still off. Thought maybe hurricane Dean had caused a power outage, but the lights in the hotel were on down on the street level. I called, and they said they would send someone. One minute after I hung up, everything came on. Go figure.

Towel linens? Pretty much non-existent. We got two (2) very thin towels. No hand towels, no washcloths. There was no mini frige in the room. Hand prints were on the wallpaper behind the bed. Dirty mirror. No room service. No ice machines.

Thank goodness we discovered, by accident, a boutique hotel across the street (see my review). Hotel Villa Maria. We noticed it on the way in on the bus. Looked like just a restaurant, and decided to eat there. As we were sitting in the inside courtyard having a fabulous meal, I noticed doors all the way around. When I inquired, they said it was a hotel, as well, with 11 rooms. We booked the next night with them....a suite at just $20 US more than across the street.

The Ambassador doesn't deserve your attention. Your dollar or peso will find MUCH better accomodations elsewhere in town. I'm just appalled they hype themselves as a four star property. I see Tripadvisor rates it a 2 star....and I think that's even too generous.......

• Liked — Shelter
  • Disliked — Tiny, slow elevators
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank alienpilot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Travelers also viewed these Merida hotels
Hotel Maria del Carmen
#31 of 103 in Merida
Hotel Plaza Mirador
Hotel Plaza Mirador
#62 of 103 in Merida

Been to Hotel Ambassador Merida? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Hotel Ambassador Merida

Property: Hotel Ambassador Merida
Address: Calle 59 No 546 X 68, Merida 97000, Mexico
Location: Mexico > Yucatan Peninsula > Yucatan > Merida
Bar / Lounge Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Restaurant Room Service Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
Ranked #81 of 103 Hotels in Merida
Hotel Class:3 star — Hotel Ambassador Merida 3*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly and Agoda so you can book your Hotel Ambassador Merida reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.