“Nice staff, good value”

Hotel Ambassador Merida
Ranked #86 of 105 Hotels in Merida
Reviewed December 3, 2011

Paid 500 Pesos per night for a nice twins room (2 queen size beds) on the top floor with a very nice view onto sunrise over Merida Centro. We found no signs of bed bugs in our room. The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank mt199

Reviewed April 1, 2011

be carefull my baggage was searched in my absence and stole money, cam, and other things
The manegger only say we are not responsible.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank merida2012
Reviewed March 19, 2011

We stayed for one night only, but we think our 2+ hotel in Playa is better than this 4 star hotel in Mérida. The breakfast was disappointing, to say the least. The location is good though, and the lobby area is really nice - but the rooms? Nothing special, and quite noisy. All in all OK, but don't expect a four star hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 27, 2010

Merida is a great city to explore & people watch . This hotel has a good location , decent room , helpful staff . Better to have breakfast outside, plenty of choice. Great restaurant - Panchos - 10 minutes walk , happy hour great value & food excellent .

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed April 21, 2009

I stayed here for a week in between volunteering projects in Mexico.

I found the location fantastic, really easy to explore Merida from here. Also, there is a little travel agents in the grounds, and it was easy to book trips to Chichen Itza and Uxmal etc... It's nice and safe.

The room was big, but the bathroom very dated, could really do with a refurb. The breakfast wasn't really worth having. Nice little pool though, shame about the American students dive bombing at 3 in the morning, ignorant pigs.

Not too sure how a phone call I made to Barclaycard in England on a 00 44 number came up as Uzbekistan, and cost about £20, but the less sad about that the better really.

I would stay here again, on a room only basis and not use the phone! becasue for me the location is worth it.

A basic hotel, so don't pay too much to stay here.

(Just read online this is supposed to be a 4 star?! Not at all, more 2 or 3 really).

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed March 21, 2009

Upon arriving it took them half an hour to deliver the luggage which then was placed outside the wrong room. The AC wasn't working (although fixed quickly). The alarm call was an hour too early. Then I found out there was no hot water in the shower. By that time I was sick of complaining. Mediocre breakfast.
This is not worthy of 4 stars!

• Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed August 21, 2007

We were booked into this hotel as Royal Hideaway hurricane Dean evacuees and paid for our own room. It was advertised as a four star hotel, but it is not, in any way, shape or form. How they got their four star rating, I will never know. I would put in a class lower than a motel 6. The room we were assigned had two standard HARD double beds and on the top floor (5th). No coffeemaker. No remote. Another one of group couldn't get the volume control on the front of the tv to work. A maintenance man came up to check on it, and couldn't get it to work either. He came back with a remote and adjusted the volume, and left with the remote. He wouldn't let the guest have it. The bathroom is another story. The shower had hair in the bottom of the stall. We weren't the only ones. Others in our group had the same problem. There was a low cement wall over the sink area and if you were tall, had to be careful not to bend over without watching your head. I whacked it a few times brushing my teeth. Then there was the mysterious power outage in our room. The window-type air conditioner was roaring, but no lights and the plugs didn't work, beginning at 2 am. At 7:30 am, they were still off. Thought maybe hurricane Dean had caused a power outage, but the lights in the hotel were on down on the street level. I called, and they said they would send someone. One minute after I hung up, everything came on. Go figure.

Towel linens? Pretty much non-existent. We got two (2) very thin towels. No hand towels, no washcloths. There was no mini frige in the room. Hand prints were on the wallpaper behind the bed. Dirty mirror. No room service. No ice machines.

Thank goodness we discovered, by accident, a boutique hotel across the street (see my review). Hotel Villa Maria. We noticed it on the way in on the bus. Looked like just a restaurant, and decided to eat there. As we were sitting in the inside courtyard having a fabulous meal, I noticed doors all the way around. When I inquired, they said it was a hotel, as well, with 11 rooms. We booked the next night with them....a suite at just $20 US more than across the street.

The Ambassador doesn't deserve your attention. Your dollar or peso will find MUCH better accomodations elsewhere in town. I'm just appalled they hype themselves as a four star property. I see Tripadvisor rates it a 2 star....and I think that's even too generous.......

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank alienpilot