“Pretty Nice Place to Stay in Merida”

Fiesta Americana Merida
Ranked #8 of 103 Hotels in Merida
GreenLeadersGold level
Miami, Florida
“Pretty Nice Place to Stay in Merida”
Reviewed September 17, 2005

The hotel is in a beautiful building attached to a small mall. A very attractive 5-level interior atrium serves as its centerpiece. The hotel's location is convenient to Merida's beautiful downtown, although the streets themselves with their odd/even numbering system (not always in order) require some patience and guesswork. This beautiful city has been around since the early 1500's and it is a very charming place to visit. As is the case in most areas of Mexico, Merida is safe, reasonably clean, and the people are quite friendly.

We sprang for a Junior Suite (about $200 USD per night) since it afforded a bit extra room and we were traveling with our two young daughters (ages 3 & 6). A bit pricey for what we got but I suppose it was worth it in the end. The small suite had several positive features including four balconies, the living room, and of course the sofabed which accommodated the two children quite nicely. My 6-year-old would routinely wake up early and she figured out how to work the remote control for the living room television better than I. On the negative side there was only 1 bathroom and I would have expected at least an extra 1/2 bath in the parlor. Our king bed was below average in comfortability - an old mattress the likely culprit. The air conditioning would only work certain hours of the day (i.e., morning and night) and was automatically disabled during mid-day...I'm not sure if this was a cost-savings policy or if the energy consumption is regulated in this fashion by the local municipality. The water tasted a bit odd as there was very noticeable mineral or metal flavor. We were on the 4th floor and could hear furniture moving in the room above us so the ceilings are not soundproof. And lastly, though no fault of the F.A., the Holiday Inn across the street seems to have converted its front parking lot into a restaurant and we could hear the band playing until about midnight.

The staff was outstanding. We particularly appreciated the assistance of Elmer and Joao from the Bell Desk. Joao arranged a horse and buggy to meet us at the front entrance of the hotel and told us the correct price to pay (anywhere between $200-$250 pesos) for a 45-minute tour. I highly recommend this activity and also suggest it be done around twilight as the midday heat was subsiding and the colors that the setting sun bestowed upon the architecture were stunning.

I thought Los Almendros was average at best. The Yucatecan food was tasty but the service was unattentive. We found about the same level of service at the main restaurant during breakfast. There was a Pediatric convention in-house and most of the group seemed to have buffet breakfast included in their tariff, and I think that our a la carte menu orders were not aligned with the staffing ratios. I thought the prices in both restaurants, however, were less than what I would normally expect to pay. I guess between the good food, the good prices, and the average service we made out okay.

If this hotel were in a large U.S. city I would have rated it a 3. But operating a first-class hotel in Merida cannot be an easy task and I have to give them some extra credit. The facility is beautiful and the staff (other than the restaurants) was overwhelmingly professional, friendly, and largely bilingual. To accomplish this feat in Merida, Mexico deserves an extra point - hence the well-deserved 4 rating.

• Stayed September 2005
9 Thank Kukulcan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Korean first
clark summit, pa
Reviewed August 24, 2005

We stayed at the Fiesta Americana Merida for 6 nights in August 2005. I have stayed in FA hotels before but this one surpasses every other hotel and many other business hotels around the world for their impeccable service, cleanliness, comfort and sheer style. They met our every need,even let us come back to the same exact room after we had left for a couple of days to the town of Progreso. The restaurants are great, especially Los Almendros, the lacation of the hotel was fantastic, Paseo De Montejo was a magnificient street. Finally the A/C control great for Merida, Mexico where heat and humidity were oppressive to say the least, we could keep our room at 68 F, what a relief. I also want to recommend Antonio the taxi driver for anyone's private travelling needs. He speaks fluent English and is highly knowledgable about ruins and history. If anyone wants I'll post his phone#.

• Stayed August 2005
12 Thank sara95
New York City
Reviewed April 28, 2005

My wife, 5yo daughter and myself stayed at the Fiesta Americana Merida for 2 nights while visiting family in Merida. The hotel is terrific...great service...you are made to feel at home. Yes the hotel is busy and there was a Porche Audi convention when we where there but we never felt crowded. The lobby is very beautiful as is the pool area. The hotel is on Pasejo Montejo which is a beautiful boulevard and was built to resemble the Champs Elysie in Paris. Its is full of old mansions and restaurants. The hotel has an awesome restaurant called Los Almendros which serves Yucatan Cuisine...its very different food from other regions of Mexico. I consider it the best. Try the Poc Chuc or the Cochinita Pibil. There is also Samborns located next to the hotel which is a large Pharmacy with a bakery and a great diner.

I shake my head when I read about complaints regarding this hotel. Some people just need to complain about something.

• Stayed April 2005
10 Thank heynyc
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed March 21, 2005

I stayed with my family for a couple of nights in mid-December and found my stay pretty average. Hotel facilities need some fixing and we had to actually stay out of our rooms for a couple of hours one night due to a very strong odour coming out of the air conditioning system in the corridor.
Spa facilities are OK and b-fast was fine too although on the pricey side.
Better off paying 10-20% more to stay in one of the many boutique hotels in the city. Small is beautiful indeed...!!

• Stayed January 2005
10 Thank JManuelGarcia
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed January 13, 2005

I travel quite a bit and sometimes for work and stay at the best hotels in the U.S.. My stay here at the Fiesta Americana Hotel was by far the best stay I had anywhere! the room I had was a Superior, King Bed. I ended up with a Junior Suite as it were because it was not yet the busiest time! I was there from January 4th 2005 to the 13th and I had read the reviews here before I purchased and I am glad I made the choice to stay here! First of all the room was spectacular!! Clean and everything Marble! Plenty of room and a comfortable bed! Clean Bathrooms with no odors as was said by one. Water is safe and the air conditioning was great when needed. The Staff. Polite, caring, prompt, very helpful, friendly and intellegent! May I recommend the restaurants in the hotel. The buffet restaurant is fantastic with fresh local fruits (The papaya was to die for) and familiar dishes along with some real delightful surprises!! The Restaurant Los Alemendros was first class! The dishes were prepared professionally along with a very attentive staff and prompt service. I recommend the Combination Platter with a mixed salad and it is enough for two. My favorite drink is the limeade!! The Hotel is so beautiful and lush with a nice pool and spa with a sauna and exercise room and for about $55.00 a one hour massage with just little notice will do you right!! The business center has polite, informed professional staff where we used computers to check emails as well as updates on the tsunami and weather conditions back home in California where it was raining quite a bit. Elmer and Francisco, the doorman who greet you outside at the main entrance were unbelievably helpful, friendly, and willing to help at a moments notice. Marcellino, Raul, and Hugo at the front desk are superior when it comes to helping with your room and any request you may need and of course Jonathan the Bell Boy is so bright and friendly we wished he worked around the clock!! The maid sevice is twice a day!! You will always have plenty of everything in your room! What can I say but Do allow yourself a great experience in a wonderful place like Merida, Yucatan The Fiesta Americana Hotel Merida is First Class!! And 5 Stars!! If you wish, I can be contacted for more info of our stay at riksounds@earthlink.net

• Stayed January 2005
18 Thank TravelRick
New Jersey
Reviewed January 2, 2005

My wife, our 11 month old boy and my mother all traveled to Merida. We wanted to use it as a base to explore the Mayan ruins (Uxmal, etc.) in the area. It was such a great hotel. The hotel has 2 great restaurants. Room service (a necessity with an infant) was prompt and always great. They also have a nice pool. It is also centrally located and near Walmart in case you are in need of anything you forgot from home.

Overall, the staff were just so accommodating. They work so hard to make you comfortable.

The spa is nice too!

8 Thank Seeyalaterbuddy
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 20, 2004

For the most part, the hotel was fine. Our biggest problem was that we were in a room with a door that lead to the room next to ours. Perfect for families, but when i started to get ready for bed, all of a sudden our door opened from the guest next door. They shut the door again but, of course, very embarrassing.

When calling the front desk to fix the situation, they found that they couldnt seem to lock the door inbetween the two rooms so they had to move us to another room.. a bit stinky from smoke. Biggest part is having to pack up and move and unpack again.

Always beware of the doors being locked as the guest next door could have robbed us while we were away as well.

• Stayed December 2004