“Great Hotel, Great Location, Slower Service”

Fiesta Americana Merida
Ranked #6 of 105 Hotels in Merida
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 28, 2011

The Fiesta Americana is a great Hotel Centrally Located in Merida. If you are on a Trip to see the Ruins or Visit Merida it is a great Hotel to stay. Very good Rates.
The Hotel is a older Hotel and does need some work on upgrades. The rooms are comfortable and ask to be upgraded to the Fiesta Level.
The Service is quite slow when you need items addressed or fixed, for example Valet Parking took quite a while to get the car back at check out.
Otherwise i would recommend this hotel because of its location.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Bjoern K
Write a ReviewReviews (1,497)

Reviewed March 11, 2011

Great location, the breakfast was amazing.
We had the Christmas dinner there and it was delicious, the wine list not as good as I expected.
The pool too small and the gym also.
Is perfect for a road trip since you can go from Merida to everywhere.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 24, 2011

Located a little too far from the downtown historic district of Merida (unless you are a well-conditioned walker), it is not a convenient place to stay for exploring this wonderful colonial city. You are better off booking with a small hotel in the historic core where you are a 5-10 minute walk to the city center (my opinion). Accommodations had the predictable upscale hotel feel and there is a wonderful Italian restaurant in the hotel complex. Very impersonal and geared, I'm sure, to business travellers. This was a little off-putting after spending several weeks immersed in the remote countryside and in small villages, but I can't fault the hotel for this. And there is a definitive cultural disconnect from feel of historic Merida. Friends had recommended this place for spending time and exploring the city. Whatever were they thinking? However, it was convenient for one last good night of sleep, proximity to the airport, wireless internet service (which is expensive), a fine bathroom, and room service--all the things international travellers might want as they exit a country.

1  Thank Maralina
Reviewed January 17, 2011

It’s a good hotel, clean and with good service of people, although they charge you everything including internet. I stayed there for four nights on the first floor, and over night I could hear noises that I thought were from maintenance people. But what is really annoying it’s a low, deep noise from some big machine that goes on forever. Sometimes you get used to it, but when you notice it you can’t sleep well. On the pool is where the noise becomes somehow unbearable. I wanted to ask what was making that noise but I didn´t, so sorry for haven´t done so… My wife did not like the fitness center, she said it was too small for such a big hotel and sometimes you have to wait much for a walking machine.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 27, 2010

Was here for a week for a conference. Great breakfast buffet and surprisingly good food in both restaurants. Location not in city centre but just off Paseo Montejo. Nice balcony in room. Rooms are pleasant but unremarkable. Generic and not a lot of charm. Had trouble with the in-room safe and the hotel room keys several times, but staff were helpful in trying to resolve them. I was able to change rooms for my preferred bed type with no problem, which is sometimes an issue in Mexico. Service overall was very good.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 16, 2010

We arrived a bit after midnight on Friday night, March 12. An Aeromexico flight from Mexico City arrives late so check ins like us should be common.

We rented a car and drove to the hotel entrance. No one was around to help or direct us. Cars seemed to have been parked haphazardly and I conisdered just leaving he car but decided to go further on the street and discovered the entrance to the parking lot.

You leave the parking lot and come to a retail floor with a cafeteria restaurant and then go up again to the hotel. No one bothered to help with luggage, etc. as we went up two fights from parking lot.

We check in and desk clerks keep phone in their ears so you do not know if they are talking on the phone, humming to themselves or talking to you. Check in as efficient enough

We were assigned room 221, about as far from the elevator as you could get. i put my laptop and valuables in the same and it took 4 calls and 40 minutes until after 1 am for someone to come up as the safe was not working well and could not be reopened. This is an atrium type hotel and I could see there was no activity whatsoever in the lobby - just half asleep staff - and it is incredible it took this long.

On Saturday, the wireless internet was so weak (my room was far from signal) that it caused me problems so I had to sit in the lobby.

Buffet breakfasts good. What I disliked is few staff said hello. Few staff had any interest in us. Room was OK only - far from elevator, facing noisy Holiday Inn outside music and buffet and I could hear lobby noise too. Bed very cheap and uncomfortable. Pool nice. Hot tub full of kids even though sign said no children and staff ignored it. Gym full of locals and very tiny so I could not figure out why hotel would sell memberships to locals if gym has just 5 machines for such a big hotel.

I did not like the hotel and will not return. When I stayed here the last time in 1996, I loved it. I guess it was new and shiny then and I got better service. Now it is time to renovate it / knock it down. Staff so disinterested many must have been there in 96 and lost interest in their jobs.

2  Thank Happy_on_the_road
Reviewed March 10, 2010

We loved our stay at Fiesta Americana. The hotel is beautiful and impeccably maintained. We stayed on the Fiesta Club and enjoyed the breakfast. Our room was large,immaculate and quiet.
Dinner at Los Alemendros was also a hit. Especially the Mayan coffee - artfully prepapred at your table.
The entire staff was pleasant and most helpful. They couldn't do enough for you. Making dinner reservations - changing money, giving directions, locating the local Walmart.
We especially enjoyed the large adults only whirpool in the spa/fitness area. It was nice to sit and relax and not be so close your fellow guest.
The free parking was secure and easy.
Although we didn't use them there was a large lovely pool area and tennis courts.
We will definitely stay there again - and we later lamented only spending 3 nights there as our last two days at the Blue Tulum were less than what we expected.