“The most exciting tour I have ever been on!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mayan Ecotours

Mayan Ecotours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Mayan Ecotours is dedicated to the planning, development and operation of alternative tours. We are committed to providing personalized service using responsible ecotourism strategies while offering attractive options for anyone who seeks a balance between knowledge, nature and fun. Our company is staffed by specialized guides and certificates.
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“The most exciting tour I have ever been on!!”
Reviewed August 30, 2010

Mayan Ecotours is by far one of the best tour operators in Merida. Connie gave me very personalized service and Cenotes she took me to very absolutely beautiful. At no time did I feel rushed and all my questions were answered with a great deal of knowledge.

1 Thank Jim S

Mexico City, Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“get the best experience!!”
Reviewed May 21, 2010

I was with my family in Merida for only a short week, and we booked a trip every day with Mayan Ecotours. They are the best! The guide, Nacho, had so much to tell about the mayan life, but also about nature, you can definately tell he loves being outdoors. We did the Mayan life tour, the Puuc Route, kayak trip and the Chitzen Itza tour. We loved all of them, but the Mayan life was the best, swimming in the cenotes, learning about the mayan life.Going through the mangroves in a kayak was also great and going to the beach after the kayak trip was also a big thumb up and walking around in the Loltuncave was awesome!! I just don't have anything else to say but: just go!! do this, you will love it.

1 Thank newyorkerleo
Houston
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Unique adventure. Well equipped guides.”
Reviewed April 9, 2010

My family has been coming to the Merida area for over 15 years. We have been in many caves and cenotes but had never rappelled into one. I was very happy to find Mayan Ecotours on the web, and had high hopes for a new adventure with family and guests. Connie and Nacho did not disappoint.

Our group of 14 met our guides at the mouth of the cave. They had arranged a small armada of motorcycle taxis to ferry us the 1/2 mile or so over to the rappel opening. Ten of us suited up with the clean knee pads, helmets, gloves, lights, and climbing harness. I was pleasantly surprised at the redundant safety measures they use, particularity since we had several 11 and 12 year olds and several other who had never rappelled before.

The trip down was both dramatic and also fairly easy. The cave was surprising warm and the water was cool but comfortable. Our group then switched to snorkeling gear and swam for about an hour. A few followed Nacho's lead up to a high diving point on the rocks.

The climb out involved several quite tight squeezes but also had many points of interest and beauty. You should be physically fit if you wish to make it out of the cave. For the most part, we had the cenote and cave to ourselves.

It was good to be able to clean up at the Hacienda and to enjoy a very locally flavored lunch with a mixed group of visitors while being served by the owner.

Be sure you bring plenty of cash as Mayan Ecotours did not seem to be able to accept charge cards directly.

2 Thank JeffOfHouston
London
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Fantastic Experience”
Reviewed March 12, 2010

My husband and I went for the "Cenote" tours. This is a all day event that includes the visit to two cenotes and lunch in a fantstic Sisal hacienda.
The tour was fantastic: incredible setting both at the Cenotes and at the Hacienda. We love the fact that we visit place out the tourist track, in harmony with the local community.
Our guide, Nachos, was very knowledgeable and, really important, very attentive to the environment.
I can say without a doubt that when Nachos, gives you a tour, it is not only a tour, It is a history lesson along with an interesting narrative that is both historival and educational. They give you much more then you would anticipate. And they continue to be helpful by recommending other interesting things to do or place to see while in Merida.

Vania

3 Thank Vaniades
Brooklyn
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“The highlight of our vacation”
Reviewed March 2, 2010

I was in Merida last month, and booked the rappel tour with Mayan Ecotours. My husband, 9-year old son and I were met by Connie at our hotel, who introduced us to Nacho, our guide. As chance would have it, it turned out we had a private tour!

Nacho was a wonderful guide, delightful to spend the day with, and shared lots of interesting information with as we drove to the tiny town of Tecoh. With not a single other tourist to be found, Nacho enlisted the help of several locals to assist us in arriving at the cave outlet (via motorcycle taxi - fun!), and preparing our gear. Everything we could possibly need was provided by Mayan Ecotours - and none of us had ever rappelled or even snorkled in our lives. It was no matter, as Nacho was a kind heart and patient teacher. With his help, we descended underground, then swam for as long as we wanted in a beautiful crystal-clear cenote. Our nine-year old accomplished the rappel with no problem at all, and loved the lengthy swim. We then had a fascinating and adventurous (just enough) exploration of the cave, again, feeling no hurry whatsoever. After all that activity, we thoroughly enjoyed a delicous lunch at a beautiful, family-owned hacienda, where again, we were the only tourists to be found.

Nacho clearly has a passion for Mayan life as well as the natural environment. He had as much information as we could possibly want, and at the same time, felt like an old friend by the end of the day.

We participated in several tours during our week in Merida, but the rappel tour is definately our fondest memory. I wholeheartedly recommend this tour to anyone!

1 Thank SSFBrooklyn