“Maya Archaeological Sites”
Review of Mayan Ecotours

Mayan Ecotours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Mayan Ecotours is dedicated to the planning, development and operation of alternative tours. We are committed to providing personalized service using responsible ecotourism strategies while offering attractive options for anyone who seeks a balance between knowledge, nature and fun. Our company is staffed by specialized guides and certificates.
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We took two tours with Ecotours: Chichen Itza & Uxmal. Transportation: very comfortable, clean & the driver was polite & attentive. In our first tour/day-trip, the guide (Memo) was knowledgeable, respectful & cheerful (seemed a bit disorganised at first, but all went well). Food included was OK. We chose the evening trip to Uxmal to stay for the lights & sound show. The party here was smaller & international this time. No guide was appointed to us & we were supposed to meet one as soon as we got there. The part was spilt into English tour & Spanish tour. Though it was hard to find guides, it all turned out well. Food was better & the night show was pretty good, but in Spanish only. Uxmal is beautiful, BTW.

1  Thank Jo-S-dinning-freak
"van"
"flamingos"
"kabah"

Reviewed December 30, 2011

We had a great experience using Mayan Ecotours for an excursion leaving from Progreso, Mexico (we were on a cruise and had about 6 hours onshore). From the beginning, Javier was very helpful, answering my many questions promptly by email and customizing the tour for our needs. My husband, preteen and teenage daughters, and I all really enjoyed our tour of the San Ignacio cenote. Our tour guide, Luis, was very knowledgeable and friendly. He answered all our questions and was so helpful and kind to our older daughter as she practiced her Spanish speaking skills with him. We traveled in a comfortable van for about 45 minutes from Progreso to the cenote. It was amazing! There is nothing else like it and we had it all to ourselves for more than an hour. Swimming in a pristine cenote like this one is an incredible experience. Snorkeling equipment was provided and the water was crystal clear. After our swim we were served a delicious "snack" (it was so much food that it really should have been called lunch). The staff at the cenote were so friendly and welcoming as well. Luis was extremely capable and made sure that our tour was relaxing and interesting. My younger daughter loved the animals that live on the site--seeing the baby pigs and a baby goat were the highlight of the tour for her! I highly recommend this tour as a way to truly experience Mexico away from all the tourist traps.
Be sure to reconfirm the time that you will meet up with your tour guide by email. We had a few moments of uneasiness when we thought we were late, but it all turned out fine. Also, if you are paying in USD make sure to get the tour company to tell you the amount in dollars, not pesos. Again, it all turned out fine, but it would have been nice to know the exact amount in USD ahead of time.

1  Thank kansasgrant
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Cenotes offer divers the opportunities to see the inland countryside prior to arriving at the dive sites. They are geological wonders. Although they are absent of sealife, there is certainly evidence that these inland cenotes were once connected to the ocean. The visability is staggering. In some locations, you find yourself diving through stalactites and stalamites, and in others, the depth is so great, it requires specialized certification. At the completion of the dive, I was treated to lunch at a local eatery.

Reviewed June 8, 2011

This tour with Mayan Ecotours was well organized, relaxed and very enjoyable. Our guides Monica and Irvin were knowledgable. friendly and always helpful. The two cenotes were magical and very different. Each special and unique. I particularly liked it that the cenotes were owned and managed by their communities. We were able to meet Mayan women artisans and watch them weave their fans. Finally the food at the Hacienda was delicious and there were many interesting things to do there as well. I especially lliked it that none of my friends needed to drive and so we could eat, drink and be merry, being driven around in comfort. I am looking forward to going with Monica and Irvin again on another adventure!

1  Thank lfp947