“Your Home Base in Merida”
Review of La Casa Lorenzo

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Merida
La Casa Lorenzo
Ranked #18 of 86 Merida B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I stayed at Casa Lorenzo for 4 nights, using this as my 'base of operations' to see Merida, and tour some of the Mayan ruins. This worked out perfectly! Larry's orientation during the drive in from the airport was very helpful, including his recommendations for local places to eat. Once we arrived, I found everything I wanted: clean, quiet room with a comfortable bed, good coffee, and a short walk to the Plaza Grande. When I decided at the last minute to rent a car for my touring, Larry was ready with maps and navigation help that undoubtedly saved me *hours* during my day trip to Chichen Itza. I will definitely stay here on my future trips to the area!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Larry N, Owner at La Casa Lorenzo, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2014

Ben, it's too bad your visit was only four days as Mérida has so much to offer. And I'm glad that the personalized airport pickup worked out for you.

Being close to the fine restaurants and other attractions on that fine boulevard Paseo Montejo, and also not far from the Plaza Grande makes it a pleasure for me to live here.

Freshly ground coffee is one of the specialties at La Casa Lorenzo and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

Just visited Casa Lorenzo for 3 days and it was great. Larry picked me up at the airport and that is really relaxing not to worry about a cab. The last question he would ask was "what time do you want breakfast?" Very accommodating. Super breakfast on Sundays. Its a traditional Mayan meal and totally enjoyable. Larry even took me to a shopping centre to get a phone for local calls. Probably the best part of staying at the b&b was having a phone in my room and being able to make no charge calls to the USA and talk at length to family and friends. As always, it was very enjoyable to stay at Larry's.

Room Tip: two of the rooms have 2 queen size beds. These are large rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank mowrch

Yes, I try to be accomodating regarding the breakfast serving time. Some guests are up and out early for tours, etc, and other guests want to sleep a little later.

Enjoy yourself and the fewer rules, the better, is my motto at La Casa Lorenzo.

And free calls to the US and Canada from the phone in your room is a feature here. Thanks for mentioning it.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

I have now stayed at La Casa Lorenzo twice. Each visit has been absolutely delightful. I can therefore highly recommend a stay in this beautiful and well-appointed B&B.

Larry, or Lorenzo, is an entertaining and attentive host. He is full of information on how to get the most out of your Merida visit

La Casa Lorenzo is in an excellent location only a short walk to the main plaza where many of the main tourist attractions can be found. Merida has an lot of interesting cultural activities every week and most of these take place in and around the main plaza. The exceptionally lovely, must-see, tree-lined Paseo Montejo is only 3 blocks away.

The B&B is a beautifully restored colonial house with several interesting features. Each of the main rooms have original tiled floors with colorful patterns. The 5 bedrooms are all well-appointed and decorated in the traditional, distinctive and very colorful Mexican style.

The garden and pool area is a quiet and a comfortable place to spend time relaxing.
Wi-Fi, a computer station reserved for guests and free phone calls to the US were much appreciated.

Larry treats his guests to a hearty breakfast, varied daily, which I really appreciated.

When I first visited Mexico it took a bit of getting use to that in the restrooms everywhere in Mexico there is a bin next to the toilet. A sign informs you that you must deposit the toilet paper in the bin and not in the toilet. This is because the pipes are very narrow and easily get blocked. Larry, who is a bit of a techno-fiend, has installed US style plumbing, so this indelicate procedure does not apply to CL.

To sum up, CL really does have a lot to offer. A stay there is bound to be a pleasant and memorable experience.

Room Tip: All 5 rooms are excellent, far from the road and therefore very quiet. The choice of room depends on...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ptorrens

Just one of many guests that have visited more than once. It's great to make friends and see them come back.

Thanks for mentioning the excellent plumbing at La Casa Lorenzo. That nasty business of not being able to flush your used toilet paper in most other places is not something to worry about here.

And yes, La Casa Lorenzo is located on a quiet street to begin with but also sizable that the rooms and garden are just so quiet......... It's a pleasure to live here :-)

Reviewed January 10, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at Larry's BnB. He was an exemplary host! The place is quite beautiful and spacious. The rooms are also spacious and clean. I appreciated the ceiling fan in the room as it was quite humid/rainy during our stay (but not hot enough to turn on the AC). We were able to get laundry done for 50 pesos. We were allowed free calls to the US from our room. The BnB is not close to the center (plazas) of Merida, but was perfect for us as we generally enjoy longer walks. I loved the simple and fresh breakfasts, including the fresh bowl of fruit, huevos rancheros, and waffles. Wifi was an issue in our room but we could easily access in the courtyard. His cat, Bella, is darling and very sweet with guests so we did not mind her coming into our room. Noise can be an issue as music or talking from the courtyard can be heard in the rooms. I would definitely stay at Larry's BnB again and highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Monica C
Larry N, Owner at La Casa Lorenzo, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Monica and her partner were very enjoyable guests and I would certainly welcome them back again.

I would like to mention to future visitors that La Casa Lorenzo is ten city blocks from the zocalo (main plaza). But It's not as if the Zocalo is the only place in town worth visiting. Mérida is a good size city and it is simply not possible to be "close to everything". Paseo Montejo, galleries, museums, and many restaurants are only a few blocks from La Casa Lorenzo.

And in that ten block walk to the zocalo, the visitor will pass other plazas and many interesting shops and tourist attractions.

I certainly agree that the distance to the main plaza can be an issue when traveling. Nobody wants to make a reservation in a new city and find themselves stuck way, way out in the burbs somewhere. So ten blocks it is. Other reviewers rate it as a short walk so everything is relative.

And I might point out that La Casa Lorenzo is in a quiet residential neighborhood. Really quiet. If nobody is talking right outside your open window of course :-)

Reviewed January 9, 2014

We have stayed at several B&B's in Merida to be able to compare. Room was small and you need to add $10 if you want AC. Breakfast plentiful but not much choice. Outdoor kitchen area and gardens could be better maintained. Not much privacy, could hear next door plus early risers.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank GallopingGertie
Larry N, Owner at La Casa Lorenzo, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

I think I should be flattered by Gertie saying I have an "OK B&B". According to her profile she has traveled the world extensively for the last couple of years and only rated one lodging establishment higher than mine. So I'll accept the "OK" with thanks.

But we should clarify a couple of inaccuracies. The room size is 20 square meters (215 sq feet) and she is totally wrong about a $10 charge for a/c. Don't know where that came from.

As for breakfast...simply read other reviews :-)

Keep on traveling Gertie, and if you have time please write to me directly and explain the garden maintenance thing. Thanks.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Our reservation was changed by the owner. He complained about us bringing a child, despite he had previously accepted children, as stated in reviews by former guests. He first allowed us to install, but then he changed his mind, and, once installed, asked us to leave for the next day. He did not refund our money paid in advance. The owner said he would not care about what we would wrote in our review. The place lacks privacy, since you can hear voices from other rooms, and also from the pool bar located near the rooms. The owner says no pets allowed, but his cat walks all around, even on guest's mattresses. Since he lives in this house, with no doors to his room, he is very specific in what he likes or dislikes, written in several places of the house.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near to the pool's bar, or near the entrance, or near the entry hall.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Larry N, Owner at La Casa Lorenzo, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

This guest made a reservation for "two adults" and then showed up as three adults along with an ill hyperactive two year old child. Because they had arrived so late I (regretfully) did agree to let them stay one night with their agreement to leave the next day. I gave them travel advice to help find another place. At midnight other guests knocked on my door to complain about being disturbed by the sick child loudly crying continuously.

And yes, a friendly cat named Bella does live here (as stated on the website) so guests are not invited to bring their pets.

Also yes, I live on premise. This is a B&B, not a hotel with absentee owner. I do not at all understand the last part of the review about "no doors to his room".

I understand it may be difficult traveling for this type of family as they require a different kind of establishment. But making an untruthful reservation for a busy holiday period caused me loss of income, in addition to inconveniencing me and disturbing other guests.

I wish them luck in finding more suitable lodging in the future.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Just spent one night in Larry,s place and it was comfortable and welcoming.Ample and tasty breakfast, clean rooms and a very comfy bed. Oh and the shower was amazing.Pity the weather was not up to par as the pool did look rather inviting.
Great location for Paseo Montejo, Santa Anna park,and a short walk to el centro
I think he has done a great job and I wish him all the best for the future.Not a place to be missed.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank pickMerida

Valerie certainly knows the B&B business so when she says "Comfortable and Welcoming" you should believe it. Too bad the visit was so short and I look forward to seeing her again.