“Great buffet”

Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Portland, Oregon
“Great buffet”
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Of all the places we ate in Merida, this was the only one we hadn't looked up first on Trip Advisor. And that's probably a good thing, because it really hasn't been reviewed much. But based on a local's recommendation, to being our stroll on Paseo de Montejo, we went to El Gran Cafe for brunch, and frankly had our best meal in Merida. The service was friendly and attentive, the buffet had a wide assortment of food catering to all tastes, a variety of juices were included in the price, and the price was fantastic, at 89 pesos/person. The only thing we didn't like was that it wasn't very clean - the scraps of food from other customers were all over the floor near our table. That didn't keep is from enjoying the food though.

• Visited December 2011

Phoenix, Arizona
“Over priced and poor food”
Reviewed February 15, 2009

A local suggested the Gran Café so we tried it, for get it. The Gran Café is at the bottom of the Paseo de Montejo a prominent location. We sat down and ordered then noticed the tourists were eating meals and the locals were drinking coffee which they are famous for. I ordered a local favorite; Puc Chuc and my wife had the filet mignon. When my meal came it had cheese on the beans, I had requested no dairy and the waiter indicated that he understood; I speak enough Spanish. They took the meal back and when it was returned to me, from what I could tell, they just mixed the cheese into the beans. The meat was dry and could not be cut or chewed; I have had this meal many times before. This was the only time the vegetables were not fresh, they were from a bag of frozen vegetables. My wife’s filet mignon was nothing more that a piece of ordinary stake with a piece of bacon around it. I expressed my displeasure with the meal to the head waiter and he said he would make an adjustment; he didn’t. The meal was the second most expensive meal we have had this winter in Merida. We have had better meals at the little hole in the wall restaurants for about $2.20US.

1 Thank jprem295