“Literally Trapped”

Ranked #40 of 72 Specialty Lodging in Merida
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
“Literally Trapped”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This is the worst experience I've ever had a abroad, but perhaps I should consider myself lucky. I woke up at 4:30 am to catch my 7 am flight out of the country at this hostel. There was no desk attendant when I got up. The doors of the hostel were locked, and there was no key. The telephones didn't even work, so I couldn't call the owner or the police to let me out. I was literally trapped in the hostel, with no way out short of climbing over the walls. Essentially, I missed my flight, and consequently had to pay several hundred dollars to rebook because of the irresponsibility of this hostel. Unless you too, desire to have the same experience, I would recommend booking at another hostel.

On top of this, they advertised air conditioning. There was no air conditioning. But whatever, I could deal with that, just so long as I wasn't a character in a cliched horror script.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Evan150

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed June 22, 2012

COME STAY HERE!

Nice People, not expensive, air conditioning at night so it´s easy to Sleep.
The hostel provides the pool of a hotel that is near the hostel and is very good
will miss Merida.

Room Tip: You can choose any that all have air conditioning.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Jacob S
Zwolle, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 15, 2012

The only experience we have with this hostal is that is was closed when we were there.
We had a reservation for the 24th and 25 of december 2011 and paid a amouth a couple of months before..
We also got a confirmation from the hostal itself by email, 2 weeks before we were going to stay there..
We checked the next three days and it was still closed.
Terrible they didn,t tell us anything.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank anoniem461

Travelers are raving about these Merida hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 12, 2010

I live in Cancun and went to Merida for a wedding. I had made a reservation two weeks prior through their website and received a confirmation number and everything. I even wrote to ask that the reservation had been made a few days before. I received no response.

The day of the wedding, however, I arrive only to be told that there was no reservation in my name. I gave the clerk my confirmation number, which, it turns out, was not necessary since they logged all reservations in a notebook. I asked if they could check online for my reservation and was told that the owner was the one who receives all reservations and calls them in every morning to set the rooms aside. I was given a semi-private room (I wanted a private) and it turned out to be a small room within the women's dormitory. The walls did not reach all the way to the ceiling so I could basically hear everything that the other women in the room were saying.

When I came back from the wedding, early in the morn, I found that they locked the main gate. I tried my key and as it turns out, did not work on the door. I eventually had to go to another hotel and have them call. It turns out that there is a door bell but because the gate was closed, you can't see it from the street.

There was complimentary breakfast of fruit and eggs that next morning, which I will have to say was the best part of the stay.

When I received my credit card statement, I found that they had also charged me for 10% of my entire stay to "reserve" the room. I wrote to the owner to ask for a refund and explained my situation. For some reason, that email was also not answered.

I would recommend this hostel for walk-ins but I would definitely not stay here again and have decided that I would definitely pay the extra money for privacy.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Tauromaja
canada
Reviewed April 26, 2010

This was the worst place we stayed in in 4 mths of travel.
The worst case of bed bugs i have ever seen.
They say on the net there is breakfast, we were never offered it and didn't see anyone eating in the morning. Staff is very cold. The enterance to the private rooms are inside the womens dorm so men are walking through it anyways.
dorm is super hot.

stay at the nomada a block down the street. WAY better hostel!
STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dreamingtraveller
Monongahela, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 27, 2010

Friendly atmosphere, friendly employees, Great location, Clean rooms/bathroom(s)

Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
Reviewed December 18, 2009

I just spent 4 nights at Hostel Santa Lucia. I chose it because it was half the price of Hostel Nomadas and they have a nice website. The amenities are the same as most hostels, the staff is friendly and helpful, and the ambiance changed each day as new people arrive and leave.

The dorms are clean (metal bunk beds, no bugs!), they turn on the air conditioner at night (no long sweaty nights!) There is a female dorm available, I didn't see inside it.

The breakfast is simple but tasty (fruit, pancakes, eggs, coffee.) The hostel sells beer and soft drinks, or you are welcome to bring in your own. Open access to the kitchen too. Hot water for showers.

The location is 3 or 4 blocks from the Grand Plaza. There is a laundry place across the street. Convenience store 2 blocks away, and plenty of good restaurants nearby.

So, I would recommend this hostel. You can be social if you want or you can sleep in peace without people being noisy.

It is a good home base for any vacation in the Yucatan.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo