“Fabulous, but one big problem”
Review of Hostal Zocalo

Hostal Zocalo
Ranked #1 of 71 Specialty Lodging in Merida
Bangkok
“Fabulous, but one big problem”
Reviewed February 27, 2011

I really loved this hostel. Great people, great location, great vibe.. BUT, I cut my stay short because there were bed bugs in my private room. I chatted with people staying in the dorm and they had no problem, so maybe this issue is limited to the one room. I know bedbugs can happen anywhere and it's not a reflection on the cleanliness of the hostel, but still, it's disgusting!

My advice--check the bedding carefully before you stay. If you have any doubts (spots on sheets, strange bites after your first night) ask to be moved to a different room. Definitely don't set luggage on the bed, you don't want to carry the bugs with you!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank travelmonkeyBangkok

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed February 22, 2011

My wife and I stayed at Hostel Zocalo on a recent visit to Merida. This is, without a doubt, THE best located hostel (or even hotel) in Merida. It's directly on the Zocalo which comes alive with festivities every weekend, all year long.

The breakfast alone was, quite literally, worth more than the room cost. Eat all you want of fresh papaya, pineapple, cantaloupe and bananas, as well as cereal, fresh breads and eggs made to order. They even have soy milk.

Claudia and the staff are very helpful and friendly. We've been in hostels throughout Mexico and Europe and feel that Hostel Zocalo is among the finest.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed January 24, 2011

I stayed in this hostel for 3 nights in December 2010 and my experience was a little bit disappointing.

I had booked a private room in advance and had been in touch with the hostel the day before arrival to make sure they knew I was arriving late, and was told this would be no problem.

Arriving at the hostel after travelling for close to 20 hours me and my partner were told by the two young lads on reception that they didn’t have a reservation from us and there were no private rooms.
We were given a room without bath instead but weren’t showed were the communal bathrooms were. This was really disappointing.
Also, when I enquired about a discount (one night had already been paid for in advance) this was flat out refused, even though we had paid for a higher standard room.
The next day we were able to change to a private room with bathroom. However, it didn’t have hot water due to problems with the boiler.

Also, all the rooms have incredibly thin walls, so bring earplugs.

On the plus side, the breakfast served at this place is truly great. You help yourself to as much coffee, cereal, fruit, yoghurt, bread and jam as you like and you also get a choice of omelettes (with your choice of fillings) or pancakes made for you and brought to your table. A brilliant start to the day!

Also, we liked the WiFi and free drinking water.

In my opinion this is a lovely hostel with a perfect location, but we felt we were let down by the people on reception who gave our room away, which meant our holiday was off to a bad start.

Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shoegazer
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 15, 2011

This hostel is located in the center of the main plaza in Merida... This location can't be beat. We had a private room which was clean and had Internet. However the set up of some of the dorms are not that great as the beds are located in an area that serve as the passageway to the bathrooms that everyone uses.... Without a door to this room. Free breakfast included cereals, fruit, good bread, omelets and crepes made to order.

• Stayed January 2011
San Diego, California
Reviewed January 10, 2011

Pros: location, room
Cons: noise

I really liked this hostel. It is directly on the main square in Merida thus cannot be any more central. The people staying there are quite friendly and the set up allows for socializing both at breakfast as well as during the day.

The room had a balcony overlooking the main square which was awesome. The bed was one of the best I slept in in a long time. The rooms were shared bath and the guys bath was on the other side of the hostel which was a negative. On my first night a group of drunks were staying in the room next door and with the walls paper thin, at 2am in the morning listening to them socialize along with the staff, it was not a good situation. When I finally said something the guy at the desk said he could move ME to another room downstairs in the middle of nowhere. I asked him if he could move the ones who just rented the room instead which he did.

Overall I liked the fell of this hostel. The young guy who was also the young guy that wanted to move me instead of the drunks was quite brusque and rude most of my dealings with him but other than that it was a good find.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed January 6, 2011

This was the best hostel we found during our trip around Mexico: clean, big rooms in a bright colonial building bang in the centre of Merida. We had the best breakfast ever: you get choices of omelettes or crepes.
The owner is very nice and friendly, and all staff is very helpful. His girlfriend is lovely. You fill like at home there.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Tulum, Mexico
Reviewed December 1, 2010

amazing location, very nice and helpfull staff, friendly people and an awesome breakfast, if you gonna stay in Merida here is a great place!
they provide also good tours and information about sights and activities
mucho gusto y suerte!