“Feel at home”

Hotel Casa San Angel
Ranked #31 of 105 Hotels in Merida
Reviewed September 14, 2012

What is batter, after hours of climbing on ancient ruins, to take some rest in a quiet place!
In Merida you can do it in a faschinating place as Casa San Angel. A beautiful patio, surrounded by cheerful murales, welcome you at the entrance. Inside you can also find a shop rich variety of local handcraft objects.
Rooms are large and confortable and furnished in a very accurate way, and are equipped with television and air conditioning; also have a shower is a relaxing experience after a stressing About the restaurant,If ;exican food in itself is great, here can also be appreciated better the subtle diversity of Mexican regional cuisines (recommend you to taste the "huevo motuleño"- motuleño eggs) but also dishes of other nationalities (the Pasta here is really good, it tells an Italian girl).
And the last but not the list, welcoming owners and staff, always available for any request regarding staying at the hotel or suggestions for possible places to visit , thing that is really important everytime you decide to spend some days abroad.In short I felt like home, muchas gracias!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Simona A

Reviewed June 21, 2012

Without a doubt, this is my favorite place to have breakfast in Merida. The food is always good and the service the best. On any given morning the owner may stop by your table to say hello. Try some of their baked goods...they are to die for. I think I will start another day off tomorrow at Merida's top place to join friends and have a magnificent breakfast at the same time.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Meridahombre
Reviewed May 2, 2012

When you leave home for a few days either for a vacation or a business trip you hope to find a place to sleep with the same comforts of home: a comfortable bed, good water pressure in the shower, some peace and quiet so you can get a good night's sleep and hopefully a good WiFi reception in your room; if I get all of the above I am willing to forego the customary requirement of a large screen TV.

Last week my daughter and I were in Merida at Casa San Angel for five days and I want to share my experience with my fellow travelers.

The night of our arrival we slept in twin beds which reminded me that I had not slept in a single bed since my boarding school days at the catholic school I attended where sacrifices were demanded of us in order to please God, I spent the night trying not to fall off the bed. The following morning I requested queen beds and we were given a different room with the dutifully increase in price. Both the single and queen sizes matresses were hard to sleep on. The a/c in both rooms worked fine as well as the water pressure of the shower. But I had a big issue: the lighting in both of the the rooms we slept in was worse than poor, is was practically nonexistent; there were several nice lamps in the room, just for looks as far as I am concerned, I like to read before falling asleep and was not able to. I went back to the front desk and asked for this problem to be solved, we were on a business trip and had a lot of reading to do, the man was very kind and offered to try to get me a lamp later in the day which I collected that evening, still not much light but a little better, when I mentioned to him that the lighting was a problem and that they needed to correct the situation he said that I was not the first person to point it out and that the issue was being addressed, since the headboards were carved on the wall as an art piece the owners of the hotel did not want to drill on them to install reading lights and they were looking for a solution. I know that from now on I'll be packing a good reading light.

The other issue was the WiFi reception, when you were able to catch it while in the room it worked way too slow, we found out that just outside the room it worked fine so we used the laptop sitting on the sofa just outside our room, not convenient but less expensive than using our card. The rates at this hotel are not inexpensive and you would think that the owners would go the extra mile to supply an efficient internet access that works inside the rooms.

Casa San Angel offers a restaurant as well as room service and I am pleased to say that the food is excellent as well as the service, prompt, courteous and attentive at all times. They had an item on the menu that I particularly enjoyed and even though said item was on the breakfast menu the kitchen staff was more than willing to prepare it for me at different times of the day and this deserves a gold star for the chef!

Casa San Angel has a small shop the offers local made gifts, they are very nice but if you want your money to stretch I would suggest that you bypass the gift shop for stores in el centro where you can get more bang for your buck.

I also want to mention that this trip was scheduled for the month of March but did not take place until April, the hotel honored the March rate when I asked them to and they also booked a driver on my behalf whom was very punctual the day I needed him.

Room Tip: If you want absolutely no noise ask for the rooms in the back.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank NEEDINFOTAMPAFL
Reviewed April 11, 2012

We booked this hotel based on Tripadvisors' reviews and must say contributors did an excellent job.

This place is a gem, located at 1 Paseo Montejo, beautifully restored colonial house with every detail taken care of.

We had room 102 with a king size bed, "Eclectic Mexican" style decor that even had a hammock.

Murals, flowers, pool, gardens, gift shop and Pineda Covalin Store; everything done in great taste.

We had breakfast at the restaurant and what a treat! Freshly squeezed orange juice, espresso, "huevos motuleños" and chicken crepes with cilantro sauce, everything cooked to perfection with the most attentive service we had at Merida.

Don't bother going somewhere else, this place is magical.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank laislapr
Reviewed April 8, 2012

We have been to this hotel many times. It is in a great location and is close to Paseo Montejo and the central square. The rooms are spotless and very nice. The hotel has a gift shop which is probably the best in Merida. It specializes in Mexican art. The hotel has a small pool. If you are looking for a great place to stay, look no further. Highly recommended.

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed April 6, 2012

We would go back in a heartbeat. Three wonderful nights, beautiful room facing the Paseo, delicious breakfast and the best gift shop in town. There was a festival one night that afforded us a window into local urban entertainment, regional food and a friendly atmosphere. The owner has assembled a collection of Middle eastern artifacts that add a perfect touch to the exquisite original wall painting and 'jungle' feel of the atrium. The colors of the walls, the blending of furnishings and a staff that was helpful could not be matched. Only glitch was a somewhat hard to find garage.

Room Tip: We had the Jr. suite. I can't say enough wonderful things.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2012

I came across this hotel while I was renting nearby in Merida. It is Gorgeous! Hand painted murals, a tropical garden, a private pool and an exquisite restaurant. One is transported the minute you walk through the large welcoming doors. When guest arrived the first place I take them is to Tala the restaurant inside the Casa San Angel. The owner is Persian who has been in Mexico since she was young. Tala means gold in in Persian and whoever is cooking there is doing a "golden" job. Part of the charm is the wonderful, gracious owner who floats around and quietly watches over things. She has a wonderful gift shop there called 100% Mexico with the most interesting crafts and silk scarfs from across Mexico and reasonably priced. I did not stay in the hotel but was there many times in my 5 week stay. The next time I come to Merida on a shorter stay..I will be at the Hotel Casa San Angel. Did I mention, the hotel is located in the perfect spot to walk to the Main Plaza and all the other sites. It is located at the foot of the Passeo de Montejo a great place for walking and on Sundays to rent bicycles. Enjoy!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends