“Nice location, food quality varies”

Portico del Peregrino
Ranked #121 of 906 Restaurants in Merida
Cuisines: Mexican, International
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: From the Mayan world, in southeastern Mexico, in an authentic colonial house, El Portico del Peregrino offers a courtyard filled with exotic tropical plants in an outdoor dining area.El Portico del Peregrino will make you feel in the middle of Mexico's colonial era, while in the same way you can enjoy the comforts of modern times.
Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

Let's start with the positive; the restaurant has a really nice courtyard where you can sit to have dinner, and the staff is really warm and friendly.
Unfortunately the food quality does not match the atmosphere. My girlfriend had little to complain about, her garlic shrimp main course and lemon pie dessert both tasted very well. Some parts of my "medium rare" steak however were still cold inside, and the ice cream I had for dessert tasted average at best.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Because of the promising reviews on TripAdvisor we decided to have dinner at this restaurant. Unfortuntately, it was really disappointing. All three of us ordered a different dish and every dish felt short. The arrachera tasted like canned meat, the garlic spaghetti had a funny taste and the fish did not have any taste at all. The location, however, is nice and the waiters were friendly.

1  Thank Rowan S
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We found the place to have very tasty food and really good service. Try the huevos mortuleños for breakfast.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I was there with six other people. One of us had what looked like a good steak -- very surprising considering that most of the rest of the food was almost laughably horrible (e.g., a pasta dish so overcooked and cold that by putting a fork in the middle, the diner could lift the entire portion out at once). Two of the other main courses also arrived stone cold and were equally devoid of flavour, unless you count the wallpaper paste which seems to have been the main ingredient in the cold, gluey, brown sauce dumped over the cold food. Our would-be-comedian waiter thought it was hilarious to pretend not to understand Spanish -- for several minutes each time, though some members of our party were Mexican. On the plus side, the set of rooms is really lovely and would be a very pleasant place to spend an hour or two. I would go in there again only for something that is not made on site, like a bottle of beer. It may be that this restaurant is capable of delivering a decent meal, as others here have experienced, but I don't trust a kitchen with so little pride that food like we had would EVER go out of it.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

My partner and I chose this place because it looked so inviting from the outside. We checked the menu and the prices were reasonable so in we went. The place was charming enough on the inside but not as nice as we had expected. Maybe it's just where we were seated.

The food when it came was average. I had a veal schnitzel which was not as you get it in Germany, Austria or Italy but was still quite tasty. My partner had Mexican style chicken and found it quite bland.

What really rankled was the handling of the service charge. The service had been OK and we would normally have tipped 10%. In Britain we expect waiters to be happy with that and it seems to have been fine so far in Mexico for the month that we have been here. Not in this restaurant. The bill included a surprise gratuity of 15%. When we left what we thought was right, i.e. a little less than was shown on the bill the waiter came back to ask where the rest was. It was fairly clear that he was not happy with the tip (a little over 10%) that we had given him. This felt rather rude and unnecessary. I wished I had left no tip at all. It's only a small amount of money but I still don't enjoy having been duped into giving it to a waiter with no manners.

2  Thank mr__bull