“Fish Fish Fish” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Pigua

La Pigua
Ranked #13 of 718 Restaurants in Merida
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Fish Fish Fish”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Yes I believe this is the best place in Merida for seafood. After a long day touring a number of art studios this was our reward. We all (5 of us) had a separate item on the menu and we were all very happy with our meal. I had chosen the blue crab claw (stone crab) and was really happy. Would return again soon!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank docsla

• Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
“If you love seafood, you can't miss this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

My fiancé and I went here four times during our week-long stay in Merida. Need I say more?! My aunt and uncle recommended this place, and I'm so glad they did, because we easily could have missed it. It was a good 20 minute walk from our hotel (Hotel Julamis), but very close to Fiesta Americana and hotels in that area.

This restaurant is not very popular in the evenings, and we don't quite know why! However, we hear that there's a line out the door for lunch during the week. When we went, we were practically the only ones in there. That could explain the fantastic service we received. The waiters were very helpful and sweet. On our first night there, they recommended something that wasn't on the menu--pulpo a la brasa. It. Was. So. Good. We also had the camarones al mojo de ajo (garlic shrimp) and that was to die for. We weren't huge fans of the fish in eggplant sauce we had, but that was the only thing we had that we didn't like. Another off-menu item we loved was the fish ceviche.

In short, this is the best food we had in Merida, and some of the best seafood we've ever had--EVER! It's a little pricey for Mexican standards, but again, it's well worth it. Our dinners were around $100 USD plus tip. But we did eat more than we probably should have!

1 Thank Stephanie G
Mexico
“Seafood at its best”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

Once again went to La Pigua while in Merida. The original place is in Campeche and seafood is their speciality. Always love to have some good "tostadas de jaiba" (crab tostadas), "camarones al coco" (shrimps with coconut) and "pulpo a las brasas" o "en su tinta" (octopus) as entrees. A "filete relleno" (stuffed fish) plus a wide array of desserts, completes a fantastic dinner. Very good service as you normally get in Mexico and in Merida.

Merida, Mexico
“Seafood lovers' delight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

I had tried to go to La Pigua once earlier, but they close early on some days (early in the week, as I recall), so check their hours schedule - some nights they close at 6pm and others at 10pm. The menu is extensive and creative with almost every kind of seafood prepared virtually any way anyone would like it. I split the seafood salad with a friend, and it was excellent and mildly spicy and loaded with fresh marinated shellfish. The main I had was grouper stuffed with blue crab with a Yucateca mild pepper sauce and it was extremely well prepared and presented. Everything was super fresh and delicious. The wait staff were attentive, friendly, engaging. and unobtrusive. The entire experience was a delight and I will make it a regular place to visit. It is a bit more expensive than the average Merida restaurant, but the quality and service are well worth it. Highly recommended for seafood lovers.

New York City, New York
“Breezy seafood”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

This was one of the better meals I had in Mérida. It was a little hard for us to find La Pigua, but once we did, it was refreshing to walk into the cool blue, breezy atmosphere of the dining room. This is a pretty large restaurant, but it was fairly quiet when we went for lunch.

Our waiter was very professional and attentive, but he spoke no English (why should he; we're in Mexico!). Thankfully, I speak enough Spanish that I was able to manage the menu. We had the blue crab tostadas at his recommendation, and they were tasty, with well-balanced flavors. Then I had one of the specials, a fillet with huitlacoche. It was delicious, perfectly cooked, and flavorful, but enormous. My boyfriend says his fried fillet was just fine, nothing special, so I think you are best off going with the server's suggestions or the chef's specials here.

For dessert, we had the coconut cake. It was SO GOOD. It was moist, light, and fluffy, and the filling was studded with chunks of fresh coconut. I wish I had the recipe, so I could make it and eat it right now.

One thing to improve on--the "espresso" I had with dessert did not really seem to be a proper espresso--it was far too watery. But that was a minor quibble, because I was too busy devouring more than my share of the coconut cake to care.