“Seafood at its best”
Review of La Pigua

La Pigua
Ranked #16 of 870 Restaurants in Merida
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Once again went to La Pigua while in Merida. The original place is in Campeche and seafood is their speciality. Always love to have some good "tostadas de jaiba" (crab tostadas), "camarones al coco" (shrimps with coconut) and "pulpo a las brasas" o "en su tinta" (octopus) as entrees. A "filete relleno" (stuffed fish) plus a wide array of desserts, completes a fantastic dinner. Very good service as you normally get in Mexico and in Merida.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

I had tried to go to La Pigua once earlier, but they close early on some days (early in the week, as I recall), so check their hours schedule - some nights they close at 6pm and others at 10pm. The menu is extensive and creative with almost every kind of seafood prepared virtually any way anyone would like it. I split the seafood salad with a friend, and it was excellent and mildly spicy and loaded with fresh marinated shellfish. The main I had was grouper stuffed with blue crab with a Yucateca mild pepper sauce and it was extremely well prepared and presented. Everything was super fresh and delicious. The wait staff were attentive, friendly, engaging. and unobtrusive. The entire experience was a delight and I will make it a regular place to visit. It is a bit more expensive than the average Merida restaurant, but the quality and service are well worth it. Highly recommended for seafood lovers.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

This was one of the better meals I had in Mérida. It was a little hard for us to find La Pigua, but once we did, it was refreshing to walk into the cool blue, breezy atmosphere of the dining room. This is a pretty large restaurant, but it was fairly quiet when we went for lunch.

Our waiter was very professional and attentive, but he spoke no English (why should he; we're in Mexico!). Thankfully, I speak enough Spanish that I was able to manage the menu. We had the blue crab tostadas at his recommendation, and they were tasty, with well-balanced flavors. Then I had one of the specials, a fillet with huitlacoche. It was delicious, perfectly cooked, and flavorful, but enormous. My boyfriend says his fried fillet was just fine, nothing special, so I think you are best off going with the server's suggestions or the chef's specials here.

For dessert, we had the coconut cake. It was SO GOOD. It was moist, light, and fluffy, and the filling was studded with chunks of fresh coconut. I wish I had the recipe, so I could make it and eat it right now.

One thing to improve on--the "espresso" I had with dessert did not really seem to be a proper espresso--it was far too watery. But that was a minor quibble, because I was too busy devouring more than my share of the coconut cake to care.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

I just came back from three weeks in Merida and this restaurant remains one of our favorites. The seafood is always delicious and the service wonderful. I have no problem recommending this place. We took all our out of town guests and everyone had a great meal

Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

On a Saturday afternoon just before this upscale restaurant began to fill up we looked forward to a delicious meal. Unfortunately, our meal was mediocre at best. One dish was so salty it was inedible. Once our waiter realized that we were not happy with our food, we became lepers to both the manager and wait staff. I was offered a coffee as an exchange for my uneaten plate, but it never arrived. We were completely ignored. Of course our bill showed no compensation for the food i sent back but what really made the experience so dissatisfying is how badly they treated us. The meal was over $50.00. For an establishment that defines itself as upscale this is unacceptable.

5  Thank Landrover47