“Slightly annoying musician, average food” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cafe Peon Contreras
Ranked #475 of 718 Restaurants in Merida
Cuisines: Mexican, Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London
“Slightly annoying musician, average food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

We did try and sit there a number of times, beacuse it is right next to the Peon Contreras theatre in the very centre of town, has live music and you can watch the world go by. However, the margaritas were good one time, awful the next (made with some instant syrup rubbish instead of lime juice and cheap tequila), the food was nothing to write home about, and they have a singer who is in love with his own voice (undeservedly), whose piercing tones and boring choice of music made it annoying to stay there. The bathrooms were also not very clean when we went there, and all in all it was disappointing.

Visited February 2012

Toronto
“Top of my List of Places to Avoid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

I have been to Merida several times and I'm always on the lookout for new things to do and good places to eat. Sadly, this is not one of them. The location is about the only positive thing I can say about the place. The food is terrible. I mean really, really bad...probably the worst I've ever had in Mexico. The service is bland and kind of unfriendly, and the prices are outrageous. I am compiling a list of restaurants that I will never return to, and this place is at the top. With so many wonderful places to eat in Merida and surrounding area, I can't understand how this cafe manages to stay open. Awful!

• Visited February 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
cherry hill nj
“Outside is Great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

My wife and I frequented this outside cafe which has good food and excelent service. Don't mind the pedelers-- a simple " no thanks" will keep them on their way. We stopped most every night for some cafe americana con leche and a small snifter of xtabentun-the local anis and honey brew. There were several very good guitar players/singers that started about 8:30 pm. We had lince ther one day and I was plesently surprised by their food

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Montreal, Canada
“not for food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2012

They are lucky to be on that spot O.k. for a drink , o.k for service but do not count on refned dishes; just your normal corner of the street resta

2 Thank CLAUDEMontreal
Denison, TX
“Best Cochinita Pibil I've ever had”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2012

Lots of bad reviews here for this place, but I had the best Cochinita Pibil (Mayan pork dish) I've ever had at Contreras. Twice in 3 days, it was so good. The bill for two meals, with margaritas, was about $30. I was happy. Plus, eating outside and people watching on a Saturday night was an added bonus. I've posted a pic of the outside night time scene there.

• Visited January 2012