“not for food”

Ranked #546 of 783 Restaurants in Merida
Montreal, Canada
“not for food”
Reviewed February 16, 2012

They are lucky to be on that spot O.k. for a drink , o.k for service but do not count on refned dishes; just your normal corner of the street resta

2 Thank CLAUDEMontreal

Denison, TX
“Best Cochinita Pibil I've ever had”
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Lots of bad reviews here for this place, but I had the best Cochinita Pibil (Mayan pork dish) I've ever had at Contreras. Twice in 3 days, it was so good. The bill for two meals, with margaritas, was about $30. I was happy. Plus, eating outside and people watching on a Saturday night was an added bonus. I've posted a pic of the outside night time scene there.

• Visited January 2012
Mexico
“Terrible Food, Terrible Service, Outrageous Prices”
Reviewed May 23, 2011

We went here one night and ordered some drinks and food. The prices were very high for Merida, but we thought we would splurge. Unfortunately, the food quality was very low and the drinks were watered-down. And the prices were outrageous for the quality and amount of food given.

• Visited April 2011
1 Thank mexguy
Merida, Mexico
“Horrible Experience”
Reviewed August 2, 2010

I recently ate at Cafe Peon Contreras. We had been sitting in the park nearby, and decided to eat there since we were enjoying the live music that was playing. The location is lovely, but that's about it. My fettuccine bolognese wasn't hot and tasted salty. But I was otherwise enjoying myself, so I didn't say anything. I'm guessing that was a huge mistake. Later that night, I had horrible, horrible food poisoning. It makes me wonder how long the pasta had been sitting out. Avoid the temptation of the great location, and go elsewhere to eat!

1 Thank SaraMc81
New York City, New York
“Evening Started out Good and Ended Badly”
Reviewed June 2, 2010

We were hungry and saw this outdoor restaurant at the side of the Teatro Peon Contreras. We were seated at an outdoor table and moved because of smokers at the next table. We were placed closed to the band, they were a little loud but very good local music. We ordered our food which came quickly, well presented and the waiter was very attentive. Some more friends joined making us a party of six and then the attitude of the waiter started to change. He stopped being attentive, was unavailable and the pleasant personality vanished. My friends ordered and were served quickly as well. Then our problem started, we were paying individually and we asked for the bill which came with a 15% Service Charge included, so we divided the bill and paid. During this calculation the waiter who had started displaying a sour demeanor became more-so, getting very impatient and displaying an attitude with one of my friends who was unable to identify the Mexican money easily. We finally paid and decided to leave because it was getting late. This waiter then proceeded to accost the only male in our group and demanded his tip. My friend stated that the bill already included 15% for Service so there was no additional tip. The waiter the proceeded to block our group and refused to clear the way until he got his tip. To say we were upset was an understatement.
The next night we passed the same restaurant on our way to dinner and there was the same waiter smiling and beckoning our group to have dinner again. What a piece of work he is.

1 Thank missymaw