“My first and sadly my last”
Review of Villas Punta Sur

and 1 more site!
Villas Punta Sur
sgtoca
“My first and sadly my last”
Reviewed May 8, 2008

If you read any of my other hotel reviews, I often rave and rave but this time, truth be told, I can't find anything positive to say. Villas Punta Sur is what it is. It is inexpensive so expect nil. Reservation was quite the nightmare even though I had completed the arrangements one week prior to travelling. First and foremost, the phone number provided on the website is often either (1) busy (2) appear disconnected (3) machine, even after leaving messages, we did not get a call back. I then attempted reservation via email and after receiving confirmation and wiring the deposit over 3 days before our travel and assumed all is well. We arrived at the villa to no keys out front for us to get into the room. After knocking for 20 minutes at one of the door of the staff, he opened only to very grumpily tell us he did not have any reservation information for us. Then after I showed him the wire transfer receipt and email from them would he open the door for us. This was upsetting as I almost thought we would not be able to get in, it was 9 pm and the cab driver had left and we had no idea how to get around the island. It was unnerving I guess. As they were not expecting us, the room we booked did not have its windows opened so was stuffy and stale smelling. Needless to say our first night was unpleasant. If there is anything urgent you require, it would be unlikely you can find help from anyone as no one is around the entire day and night. I am aware that this is a self sufficient rental but at least have someone around for questions. It was low season so that may be the reason. It is what it is, like I said. For the price, there's no AC and two rather loud fans, cutlery and pots for cooking but they do require more thorough cleaning. The bathroom rugs were extremely filthy and the water in the shower was a dribble at best. I really tried to like this place for all its rusticness but couldn't so we checked out 2 days after and found solice and bliss at Casa Ixchel.

• Liked — Rainforest surrounding
  • Disliked — See my review
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank sgtoca

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Bayfield, WI
Reviewed April 28, 2008

My wife and I just returned from Isla 4/25/08 after a very relaxing 8 day stay at Villas Punta Sur. The above two reviews were exactly what we experienced and fwe found the villas to be an excellent bargain. We will stay at VPG again next April.

The grounds were very well kept and we enjoyed the pool. The hammocks under the palapa are very comfortable. We stayed in #4 for 5 nights and then moved up to #6 the last three nights.

The apts. were identical but #6 gets the breeze and has a decent view of the east side of the island and the water from the balcony. The fans are quiet and makes for a comfortable sleep as there is no A/C. They are very basic and have older furniture. Yes, the geckos are there and you will encounter small ants on the counters and other small insects. A common thing in the Carribean. But no bites.

Being away from downtown was perfect for us as we appreciate the quiet atmosphere. We rented a golf cart but taxi's are readily available. Its a 20 minute walk to the bus at the turnaround.

• Liked — Quiet, pool, price
  • Disliked — hard beds
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank 2BVI
Irma
Reviewed March 8, 2008

Beautiful grounds, filled with coconut palms, banana trees and
colorful flowers makes Villas Punta Sur an oasis on Isla. Since much of the island is void of lush foliage, VPS is a gem!
The 6 apartments are simple and clean...with functional kitchenettes. I found the rooms comfortable despite the lack of air conditioning.
The moderately small pool is kept sparkling clean by the gardener Juan (try to get him to smile though, now THAT'S a challenge!). And the palapa, surrounded by a mini-jungle of trees is a wonderfully peaceful place to enjoy a meal or your morning coffee.
I enjoyed morning and evening 1/2 mile walks around the southern tip of the island. The rocky shoreline along the Caribbean side is beautiful in the foreground of morning sunrises.
Best of all...is the price! While, in my view, there are much, much more beautiful Caribbean destinations than Isla Mujeres (St John USVI, the BVI and St Lucia are, by far, my favorites), it costs much less than half to stay at Villas Punta Sur. VPS is a bargain seekers paradise!

Mark

• Liked — Reasonable price
  • Disliked — Limited access to beaches on south end of island
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
6 Thank markes
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 3, 2008

Fantastic value on Isla Mujeres. We stayed one week and loved it! Villas Punta Sur is for people who want to enjoy their vacation away from civilization and the crowds that now seem to be everywhere in this tourist area. You are on the quiet side of the island - located on the south end of Isla Mujeres - walking distance of "El Garrafon" National Park and the Mayan Ruins, and about 10 minutes by car/ cab from downtown. A cab is about $5.00. You can easily rent a golf cart for the week or just rent a bike. They have a small swimming pool and you also have access to a few small isolated public beaches on the west side of the Island. The apartments have everything you need, you just have to buy groceries! They are comfortable, clean and they have fully furnished one and two bedroom apartments, complete with fully equipped - but basic kitchens, each apartment has a private entrance terrace with chairs to lounge in. They have no phones or TVs, only books and the sounds nature.. it's very peaceful. For music - just bring your ipod! The upstairs apartments have a great ocean view and the downstairs units have a garden view. We stayed in a one bedroom downstairs and it was just fine. They do not have air conditioning, but they do have fans that worked great. The apartments are surrounded by quite and beautiful gardens. They also have a "palapa" (thatched hut) where you can hang out -take a nap in a hammock, cook on the barbecue, or just have a drink and relax! The staff were very helpful and spoke english. I would recommend this place for families and couples looking for great value - who want to get away from it all.

• Liked — Great Value
  • Disliked — A little far from town