“Excellent Service and very relaxing”

Isla Mujeres Palace
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed September 15, 2008

We (couple and 2 teenagers) were scheduled to go to Turks and Caicos last week (4th - 13th) but with Hanna having stormed through and Ike looming we had to change our plans quickly. After some discussion with our agent and some quick research here we opted for a week at the Isla Mujeres Palace.

Usual story as posted here - transfer to the ferry port, ferry trip to the island, taxi down to the hotel.

The hotel has been open for around 10 months so is not fully on the radar yet. When we arrived there were 6 of the 63 rooms booked, and by the time we left there were ourselves + 1 other couple. With a staff of around 110 this translates into excellent service! Staff are friendly and helpful and are pleased to engage in conversation.

Rooms are excellent - rather like a boutique hotel, modern, double jacuzzi's, large flat screen tvs, minibar and a row of drinks dispensers for spirits, 24hr room service.

Pool and public areas are constantly being groomed. Staff are pleased to help in any way (pleased to have someone to serve given the occupancy!).

Dinner was a varied a'la carte menu changed every two days - the food, presentation and dinner service was excellent.

The beach itself is good but like much of the island there is a lot of sea grass in the water that makes swimming less than ideal; however its an easy taxi ride or golf cart trip up to playa norte if you want to do the beach and swimming thing for a while. We were happy to soak in the pool making good use of the swim up bar for a lot of the time but it was well worth us hiring a cart for 24 hours to see the island (you can park it at the hotel).

As mentioned in other posts there are a couple of boats from Cancun bringing Palace hotel residents and others over for day trips - typically around 30-40 people - they arrive around 9.30 and depart at 2.30 returning the resort to its quiet peaceful state. This did not over tax the facilities and meant that activities became possible & gave the staff something to do! Hopefully this means the economics of the hotel will be better as well.

It has been mentioned that there is a club next door - the only purpose seems to be to host an evening boat trip of visitors for a whacky show. It can be slightly noisy if you are sitting at the north end of the resort but is well away from the rooms. It did not seem to go on too late and did not spoil our enjoyment of the resort.

The staff worked hard to provide some evening entertainment each day and our teens did not get bored at all.

The Palace is a superb hotel for a relaxing getaway,

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank spold905
There are newer reviews for Isla Mujeres Palace

Reviewed August 30, 2008

We looked at a lot of all-inclusives while trying to choose a honeymoon spot, and the Palace line got pretty good reviews. We ended up booking through beachdestinations.com, which gave us a better price than orbitz or expedia. We had a very positive experience staying at this resort, and we have no regrets about booking our honeymoon there. The hotel website and reviews that we read gave an accurate description, in our opinion, of what the place is actually like.

We felt we lucked out to have such an easy trip to Cancun, and across to the Island on the ferry. By the time we landed in Cancun, we were walking up to check-in at our hotel only about an hour and half later. From the airport we hired a driver, which ended up costing more than a traditional taxi(which cost us $30 on the return trip compared to the $45 hired driver), but we felt like this was worth it. The car was comfortable and it got us to Puerto Juarez much quicker than any of the shuttle buses could have. The ferry is cheap--a round trip ticket costs $7, and they depart every half hour. The ferry drops you off near the north end of the island, so we had to pay for a taxi ($5) to get to the south end of the island where the Palace is. We got to the gate, told them our name, and within about 30 seconds of beginning our check-in at the front desk, they had handed us cool, damp, scented towels to cool off our necks and faces, and offered us each a pina colada. Our first impression was great and only improved throughout the week.

Our room was fantastic. As far as we heard, each room had a balcony and large jacuzzi tub right in the room, and ours definitely looked exactly like the website pictures. There was plenty of room, it was clean, and everything was beautiful. We were even welcomed with a bottle of wine and plate of beautiful fruit, not to mention the sodas, beer, and water in the minifridge, nor the liquor dispenser holding 4 types of decent alcohol. Our room overlooked the pool, swim-up, bar and the ocean (looking westward). It looked like most of the rooms at the hotel had an oceanview except for a few rooms located on the backside of the hotel, which overlooked the east side of the island.

The rest of the hotel was beautiful too. The staff definitely paid attention to details, and everything was always very clean and neat. The whole place is very open-air, and you can enjoy the "Infinity Terrace" with tables and chairs overlooking the beach and can see the crazy dinner shows of the club next door for free (and at a much more acoustically comfortable distance--the shows were a bit loud at times! Plenty of room up on the terrace to dance to some good salsa and merengue music!). The Palace also had a Holistic Center, which was a large room with comfy seating areas surrounding a fountain, and very near the spa area. This area of the hotel was very peaceful, and would probably be even more of an oasis during the on-season with a lot of tourists around. (I highly suggest getting a massage...it was fantastic).

The food was unbelievable, so the fact that this Palace only has one restaurant really didn't phase us. We couldn't have tried everything we wanted to eat from the varied menus during our week. The dinner menu includes a variety of types of food (all delicious sounding and tasting), and it completely changes every 3 days. Each night at dinner there was a specially prepared appetizer, which were all delicious. The food was plentiful and delicious, and the presentation was outstanding. We felt like we were eating top-of-the-line cuisine, all fresh and tasty. The breakfast and lunch buffets were awesome, but we couldn't keep ourselves away from the Tacos Asada and Guacamole every day. During the day, you can also eat in the snack bar, which doubles as a swim-up bar from the poolside.

One thing that might hinder people from making Isla their main destination is that it typically tends to be more of a day-trip for a lot of the tourists from Cancun. If you're looking for a wild nightlife, while I'm sure you could close down the bar in the resort or go into the small town at the north part of the island, Isla gets fairly sleepy after 3:00pm. We found this wonderful! The fact that we were at a fairly new hotel in the off-season meant that at any time during our week there were only about 5 out of the 62 rooms occupied. This meant that one evening we got the entire beach to ourselves (and still got wonderful service from the bar staff), and the pool was lazy and quiet. According to staff, the winter months and spring break months are much busier. We were glad to be there during this "off-season" however. There was just enough life and plenty of quiet time too.

During the day between 9 and 3, boats came in from the other palace resorts and the restaurant, pool, and beach areas were hopping. The activities director was great at getting games of water polo, beach volleyball, etc. going, and he also planned evening activities like Casino nights, karaoke, and a fire/drum show.

Andres the Vacations planner was a big help too. In the main lobby area, he had a desk set up with information about different excursions, on and off the island, that you might want to take. You arranged anything you wanted to do with him and could charge it to the room, so that all you had to do was show up at the dock or in the lobby for your boat or taxi to get you to your destination. We had two excursions free to us - a snorkeling tour and a boat tour around the island. Both were fun. We also chose to go down the road to "Dolphin Discovery" and swam with the dolphins. It was so much fun!

There's a lot more to do on the island. You can rent a golf cart for two hours ($25), which is long enough to take your own driving tour and check out some of the scenic rocky beaches on the east side of the island, as well as the small mayan ruin on the southern point. You can also rent golf carts for a day, half day, or even a week. There is a water adventure park on the southern and western part of the island, a turtle reserve, and various other tourist sites. There is also plenty of shopping and eating in the "centro", which is near the north beach. Try the yummy gelato!

All of the staff were just great. We were treated incredibly from the moment we walked in, and it lasted all week. Edgar the tableside Guacamole maker was one of our favorites, but all of the staff were incredibly fun, and knew just how to pamper you without being too overbearing. Most of the staff speaks English well enough to take good care of you, so worry not about communication. They were all great. (As a Spanish speaker, I must also mention that I was very impressed never to hear any casual swearing or cursing among the staff members speaking Spanish with each other, as sometimes occurs when the tourists are around and someone needs to vent. I was very impressed by the professionalism of the staff.)

The only critique I would give this place is that the beach is relatively small and while the sand is beautiful, there is a lot of seagrass in the area allowed for swimming. If you want the typical beautiful swimming beach with crashing waves, you should check out the North Beach, only a 3 minute taxi drive away. The beach, however, has plenty of palm trees, palapas, kayaks to use, and waiters to bring you drinks. The water was nice, as long as you can stay away from the sea grass.

Note: If you are honeymooning, be sure to let them know and bring some proof of your recent marriage (copy of marriage license, picture, engraved rings with the date, etc). You should get a special colored bracelet (ours were pink) that entitles you to a 10% discount in the gift shop, t-shirts, and more importantly a romantic dinner on the beach on the night of your choice. We only found out half-way through our stay that they hadn't given us the right color of bracelet. We were glad that we asked to change them, because the dinner on the beach was awesome!

I would recommend this hotel to friends and family who are looking for a smaller all-inclusive resort somewhat off the beaten path. This is what we were looking for and we were happy to find it at the Palace Isla Mujeres!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
7  Thank LosHooneymooners
Reviewed August 19, 2008

I have been to Cancun a dozen times my parents once owned a condo on the Golf Course. My brother and I decided that we would like a quiet place to chill and relax. We booked the Palace hotel in Isla Mujeres. We loved the hotel and the staff was so professional. The rooms were very nice and had great Air conditioning. The rooms were very modern with flat screen TV and wireless Internet. The sinks had the kool bowls as sinks and the beds were very comfordable. The hotel staff was superb
Julio and Karen the activities directors made sure that everybody was happy. Each night we had a different activity and we had a blast. My favorite was the night movie shown on the beach with hot popcorn. I am telling you this is a great hotel. But I did have a few issues. The hotel was very empty I would say out of 62 rooms there might have been 6 or 7 rooms occupied. We loved this because we felt like the hotel was all ours
What I hated- Everyday except Sunday at leat 2 to 3 boats would arrive in the dock behind the hotel and unload people who were staying at the Palace resorts in Cancun. Naturally most of the people went to the pool. Our pool is not that big considering some of the pools in Cancun. Just to many people in that small pool. They kept it as clean as possible but I saw several babies in diapers in the pool- Need I saw more. This migartion of people started at 9:00am and ended at 2:30 pm. Several times we had no chairs at the beach because all the day visitors were using them. I paid several thousand dollars to get peace and quite so If I wanted the crowds I would have stayed in Cancun.
I also had problems with the maids not changing the bed sheets after 3 days with the same sheets I complained to the assistant manager and the problem was quickly taken care of. On our last day I saw something that I think is pretty strange. Sunday morning and a man with a blower strapped to his back had a tank with liguid attached to the blower he went into the palapa area were they serve food and drinks and he started fogging the whole place. He was wearing a breathing mask so I think that it was some type of Chemical or pesticide. What he did next really floored me as he went to the dining room which is a semi open air and started spraying in there. I had eaten there almost everyday for the past 6 days so I am assumming that they would have to go behind this man and wipe down the spray because it was a mist that would cover food area.
Bartenders- This hotel has some of the greatest on the Island
Entertainment directors- Karen and Julio you did a wonderful job
Management- Diego Delgado- I think Diego runs a tight ship and is very professional. I really respected him because I could see that he always was looking out for the guest.

In conclusion- I would go back in a heartbeat. A great hotel with a great staff. The boat free loaders that came from Cancun I could do without but this hotel is a winner

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank DosHermonos
Reviewed July 23, 2008

We are Palace Premier Members and have stayed at all the other Palaces EXCEPT LaBlanc. We thought we would give Isla Mujeres a try. It is a long jaunt from the airport. When leaving the Cancun airport we traveled with Elite tours about 15 minutes to the ferry port. Waited about 15 minutes at the ferry port and then took a 20 minute ferry ride to the island and then from the Isla Ferry port it was a 10 minute cab ride to the resort. All the transfers went smoothly. The hotel paid for our transfers to and from the airport but once you are on the island, if you want to travel off the island to venture to Cancun you must foot that bill yourself.

The hotel welcomed us with cool towels and the cocktail of the day. Very nice! We checked in on Sunday and there was NOBODY there! It was surreal. We found out that no boat came on Sunday with guests from the other hotel. We checked into our room and lounged by the pool and met the other people staying at the hotel. I think there were 4 other couples.

I introduced our son to a few other kids in the pool and got them all playing a game of volleyball. The kids hung out and played in the pool.

That is one of the good things about this small resort. You get to know the other guests on a first name basis. You will see the same folks in the pool and at breakfast lunch an dinner. It makes the whole vacation very personal!

I just loved loved loved Anselmo!! He takes the time to know all the guests first name and he knows what you like to drink!! How sweet is that??! Julio, the activity director and Karen in the kids' club were very nice! Very friendly and were always making sure that everybody was having a good time. They smiled ALL the time!!

We had read on this review board about another guest fishing off the pier. We asked Julio about the fishing pole and he took us to the pier with the fishing pole and lines and hooks. It was really fun! We used shrimp and squid and put that bait on our hooks and caught TROPICAL fish! It was like fishing in an aquarium! We caught tiny fish and threw them back, of course. I would recommend that if you enjoy fishing that you try to pack a fishing pole. The resorts "rigs" are more for kids. If we had our poles I wonder what bigger fish we would have caught!? It was still fun to see all the interesting fish!

People have complained about the beach. Though it has no surf and it doesn't have a nice smooth sandy bottom - there is a bunch to see if you want to snorkel!!! This is the best resort to snorkel. We went under the docks and were swimming in the middle of THOUSANDS of fish. The best snorkeling is around 4 p.m. when all the tour boats leave and the water is settled. GORGEOUS!! I am not sure if the hotel offers snorkeling gear or not. We brought our own with us.

This hotel's food is the best out of all the other Palace Resorts that we have visited. The kitchen manager, Diego, was VERY personable and would come to the table and ask us how everything was. If we wanted something that wasn't on the menu they would try to make it! He made my husband a very very very good steak one night! My hubby said it was the best steak he had ever had! How is that for personal service!!

It did take quite a while from the time we ordered our food until it came to the table. But, we were in no hurry and the food there is WORTH the wait.

My 10 year old son ordered room service quite a bit. After too much sun he would go to the room and chill while playing his playstation 2 (we bring it with us when we travel to keep him entertained while we are showering and getting ready) He would play games and eat the club sandwiches. He said it was his favorite meal. When we checked into our room we couldn't get the playstation to work on the room t.v. We called down to the front desk and the manager came to the room and tried to get it to work. They found another tv that it would work on and brought that t.v. into our room and took the previous tv out. VERY VERY NICE!!! Our son was VERY grateful!

We brought our 2 laptops. The wireless did not work in our room so we had to take our laptops to our floor lobby to get service. That lobby came in handy with the cushy couches and tables!! We all hung out there and surfed the net and checked our emails. A few of the other guests joked that it was our "living room"!

The noise level was fine for us because we took the advice of other travelers on this review board and opted for a room that overlooked the pool. We were in room 328. We never heard the show unless we were at dinner. The show started at 7 ish and went until 10:30 nightly. Some nights it was louder than others. A few nights we would go up to the terrace and watch the show down below.

The NOISE was on Saturday night! The bar on the other side of the hotel had a THROW DOWN on Saturday night from like 11 p.m. until 3 a.m. I woke up a few times and heard them bumping up the phat techno beats! hahaha My hubby couldn't sleep but I had no trouble! That club was only loud on that one Saturday night. We stayed from Sunday til the next Sunday and we had no problem with the noise on the other nights.

We went to a park called Garaffon. Do NOT go to visit this park!!! We paid $300 for 4 of us to get in. My husband and son wanted to do the zip line at Garaffon so we purchased the all inclusive package for 70 bucks a person! When we got to the park we were told that the zip line was 5 dollars extra!! We purchased those tickets even though we were outraged that we had already paid 70 bucks for all inclusive. THAT $5 charge is only good for ONE ZIP LINE RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was a total rip off!!! Then when my husband and son went to do the zip line, they told my son that he was too small to do it!! My son is 5'4" and weighs 100 pounds!!! They didn't tell us that at the front gate OR at the resort where we bought the tickets. We only wanted to go to Garaffon so my son could do the zip line! It was a total disappointment . We spent $300 for nothing. We went walking along the paths in the park and went to the top of the cliffs where the restaurant/bar was. We were told that this bar (even though it was in Garaffon park) was not part of our all inclusive package. We needed to use the restroom facilities and were told that it was going to cost us 5 pesos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A RIP OFF and WHAT A JOKE!!! Do not go to the Garaffon Park!!!! It's just not worth the price!!

We did the golf cart tour one day. That was fun! We went to the north beach. Snorkeling is not good there. It's very flat and very smooth sand with no structure or fish attractors. The best snorkeling is at the resort or on the snorkel tour that the resort offers.

We went to a restaurant that is about a 1/2 mile from the resort called Caso O's!! It was great and the view was breathtaking! Very very good restaurant that we would highly recommend if you want to get a taste of the local flavor! YUM!!

The snorkeling tour is kind of crowded and rushed. They pack tourists on the boat and take you out to the light house near the resort. Everybody jumps off the boat and the tour guides yell at the guests to stay with them. They were yelling "OVER HERE OVER HERE OVER HERE!!! BIG FISH OVER HERE!! STAY WITH ME! OVER HERE!!! We were yelled at the whole time!! I held on to my sons life jacket (EVERYBODY HAS TO WEAR A LIFE JACKET) to make sure he didn't get away from me into the mob of people! It was maddening. The current pushes you along and you see the same fish that you see at the beach of the hotel. So, take that for what it's worth.

One day we took the cab to the ferry to another cab to Wet N Wild in Cancun. Wet n Wild is owned by Palace so that is part of your vacation package. In Wet N Wild you get drinks food towels etc FREE. You only have to pay for a tube if you want to ride one in the lazy river or in the wave pool. That was a nice get away. It is NOT crowded at all in Wet N Wild!! Very enjoyable!!!

We were at the resort for 8 days. It was a long long long vacation. There is not a lot to do on the island short of eating shopping and snorkeling.

We found out the day before our last day at the resort that there is a tour that you can take to an island and swim with the Whale Sharks. Whale sharks are huge huge fish. They are gentle and not dangerous to humans as they eat plankton and NOT people!! hahah Holbox is the name of the island. You can Google it to get more info. We never did get the whole skinny on it. The whale sharks are in the area during the summer and it's the only time of year that you can go see them. They hang out near Isla de Holbox island. The island has a lot of primitive and exotic birds on it. We checked the price of the tour from the resort and it was $250 a person. We opted NOT to do it for price reasons. We never paid any attention but when we were at North beach days before, guys were coming up to us and offering to take us to the "bird island to swim with the big fish" but we had NO idea what they were talking about until we heard a guest at the hotel talking about this tour. We never did get the price from the vendors at the north beach but it might have been cheaper and we could have shopped the rates. It sounded like a wonderful tour but we just didn't want to spend a grand to do it.

My husband and I enjoyed this resort MUCH more than our 10 year old son and our 18 year old daughter did. They were bored and we were taking advantage of the peace and quiet and relaxation of the resort!!

It is definitely QUIET!! If you want a vacation AWAY from the masses then BOOK this hotel and enjoy your peace and quiet and GREAT food!!!

I wouldn't recommend the 8 day stay. 5 days would be perfect!!

Asti La Vista!!

Juleigh DePriest

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
8  Thank baruba_juba
Reviewed July 9, 2008

Our vaction to Mexico was great and our stay at Isla Mujeres Palace was just as wonderful. Upon arrival the staff greeted us by our names as they were so welcoming. We had expected this since we are Palace Premier Members and stayed at Xpu Ha last year and knew what to expect. The thing about Isla Mujeres Palace that drew me here was that it has only 62 rooms. I wanted a somewhat quite vacation. It was wonderful, I think there were only about 6 or 7 other families there, the whole week we stayed there. They do have the tour boat that comes from Cancun and brings over other Palace guests from their hotels. It is a little overwhelming and disconcerning while some stay at the hotel, most of them continue on to other tours of the island. Once 2pm comes the hotel empties out again and it's back to being nice and quiet. The pool is very relaxing with the swim up bar, my son liked it alot, he was able to order his favorite drink, frozen lemonade, made by his favorite bartender, Luis. My 8 month old daughter loved swimming in her floaty in the pool ALL day. The beach was great and beautiful too, but we spent most of our time in the pool. It was easier sticking close to my daughter in the pool than it was in the beach water. Anyways, the swim up bar was there, too.

The noise from the hotel next door did bother us the first night but I think after that we kind of just got used to it. The windows in our room were very thick and you would only really hear it when you opened up the sliding glass door. We had a beach view room with the hotel to our right. The show does stop around 10:30. Every night our hotel had an activity so you really forget about the music next door. My son had something to do every night. There was a fire show, he played roulette for 'casino night', we did karoake. It was great.

One nice thing about the hotel is that on Sunday's there are no tours coming through with loads of other guests so it's really quiet and relaxing. You get this kind of feeling that it's "your" hotel. The fact that it's small along with the "special feel" treatment from the staff.

We also really enjoyed the swimming with the dolphins but I think the biggest hit was renting the golf cart and driving around the whole island and going into town and doing some shopping. This was awesome because we got the whole "Mexico" experience. The island is beautiful! Can't wait to go back next year, not sure I can wait until then. :)

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank thaitaste
Reviewed July 1, 2008

My husband and I were looking for a relaxing getaway and boy did we find it. I cannot wait to go back. Everything was wonderful. The staff treats you like royalty. The only complaint/wish I have is that you have to go all the way to North Beach to rent a golf cart. I much prefer the south end- much more peaceful. I do suggest a room by the pool to avoid the night music. The day trippers were a minor annoyance- some we talked to wished they had found about this place before coming. I honestly thought about giving a negative report in the hopes that I'd be able to keep this slice of heaven all to myself. All of the positive statements written by the others are true.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dustmi
Reviewed July 1, 2008

Wow, what a fabulous week at the Isla Palace! We stayed for our honeymoon and had a great time. The resort was small and hardly had any guests staying there since it is new. We got to know the other guests staying there though and had a wonderful time with the staff....they are the hardest working, friendliest hotel staff I have ever met. You would think with only a few guests staying at the hotel that activities would be lacking or enthusiasm would dwindle for the nightly activities....not so! Every night there was something fun to participate in if you chose, though nobody pushed you into anything. Our favorite was the fire show which you could watch while having dinner by the pool....really extraordinary. The rooms were great, we have no complaints about the noise from the club next door. During dinner you could faintly hear it but nothing to be complaining about! The food was amazing, every night there is a "special" appetizer that is not on the menu that they bring to your table before you order. We recommend the tempura ice cream for dessert! Also the staff was great about making you anything you want if they could. For example, we ordered room service one night and they made us some items that were not listed on the menu (they tell you to just ask and they will see if they can arrange it!) Karla, the waitress at the swim up bar, really entertained us with some arts and crafts while it rained one day. Anselmo, the lobby bartender, made the greatest drinks and was really fun to sit and talk to about the island. Julio, one of the activities directors, did a great job getting people involved and keeping them happy....he also was great to sit and talk to about the culture and island life. We rented a golf cart one day and toured the island. We highly recommend doing this, it was a blast. The island is safe and easy to navigate and there are many things to get out and see/do. The hotel is an easy walk to the sea turtle farm which is cheap and interesting. We will for sure be going back to stay at this hotel...I selfishly hope it doesn't become too popular of a place though because now I feel like it is our secret personal hotel!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
#8 of 176 in Cancun
Secrets The Vine Cancun
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Isla Mujeres Palace? Share your experiences!