“Wonderful Week!!!!!!!”

Isla Mujeres Palace
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed June 23, 2008

I just returned from this wonderful resort on June 22nd with my wife and my 5 yr old son. The hotel is beautiful and the staff went out of their way to make sure our every need was taken care of. My wife and I have been Palace Premier members since 2000 so we know what to expect when we visit a Palace Resort. I have to say for the most part we were not disappointed. We stayed for a week and would have stayed longer if we could.
I have read some of the other reviews and would like to expound on them. First off the beach is very nice with plenty of places to sit. The one negative about the beach is that there is quite a bit of sea weed that washes up on the sand. The same thing happens at Moon Palace as well. The seaweed freaked my 5 yr old out at first, but after a couple of days he was ok with it. If you like to snorkel it is a great area to do it. The surf is small and easy to swim around in.
The music others have mentioned is pretty accurate. During the day it is not too bad because it adds to the Mexican beach experience, but at night it gets pretty loud starting at 7pm and doesn't let up until around 10:30pm. Some nights it went quite a bit later until around midnight. At 7pm the boat my son called "the party boat" arrived and it all started. On a couple of nights, after my son went to sleep my wife and I went up to the top floor and watched the show ourselves. It is a perfect birds eye view. Usually by the end of the day we were so tired from playing, we crashed hard and slept through it. I would reccomend requesting a room over by the pool. On that side of the hotel I could barely hear the music, but once you went to the other side of the hotel it was pretty loud. Unfortunately our room was on the music side. We could have moved to another room, but we were too lazy to move everything.
The other Palace Resort guest coming to visit each day was not too bad. Yes, it did take away from the small resort feel and yes they did come in every day at 9am and fill their plates, but we always had a place on the beach and plenty to eat (not so good for my diet). I admit I did feel a little disguntled each morning when they arrived (my wife reminded me of this each time), but by 2pm they were gone and we had the beach to ourselves. There were only about 35 full time guest at the hotel, so after the tours, we litterally had it to ourselves.
My son had a grat time and the staff treated him like a king. The activities specialist Lio (short for Abrulio) and Julio were great. After a couple of days my son was tired of the sun so we let him go to the kid zone. He played video games and card games with Lio. The guys treated him so well, which gave my wife and I a little adult time relaxing on the beach and going into
town.
I bought a cheap fishing pole at a store called Bahia (in the town) and fished off the pier in front of the beach. The waiters supplied me with fresh shrimp and scallops to use as bait and it worked great. I don't know if they were supposed to do it, but at Palace Resorts they don't like saying no to guest. My wife my son and I all enjoyed catching the tropical fish just off the pier. The resort said they may buy some poles and include fishing off the pier as a future activity. They said we were the first ones to do this since they opened the resort. We are happy to be innovators. LOL. I gave my pole to Julio when we left the resort to thank him for everything.
On a couple of days we took a taxi over to the north beach which was just incredible. Beautiful beach and wonderful water. It cost $5 to take a taxi, but well worth it. You can rent two beach chairs and a umbrella for $15 a day which is also well worth the price.
The ferry to get the the island was not bad. On the way to the resort it was a little warm but we went up to the top deck and looked at the beautiful water and felt the nice breeze. The ferry on the way back had air condition which was very nice.
Overall we had a great week. Isla Mujeres does still have that old Mexcio feel. I would definitly reccomend it to others.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank tgustin
There are newer reviews for Isla Mujeres Palace

999 - 1,005 of 1,171 reviews

Reviewed June 5, 2008

My wife and I just returned from the Isla Mujeres Palace and could not have been happier. Let me start by saying the previous review complaining about how loud the music next door is COMPLETELY exaggerated. The resort is between two clubs that offer day and night activities (looks like a lot of fun actually), but the noise is minimal and ends early. The hotel is practically brand new and is gorgeous. All of the previous reviews that refer to how wonderful the staff is, could not have gotten it more RIGHT.
If you are looking for a small, tranquil place to relax, enjoy the pool and ocean, this is the place for you. The pool is gorgeous and the water is comfortable, the ocean is shallow and although there is seaweed, it is not a bad swim. Just remember to bring water shoes. I would not recommend this place for twenty-somethings who are looking to party (stick to Cancun). It is also probably not the best choice for people with teenagers; I would imagine they would get bored rather quickly. The entire staff could not have been more pleasant or accommodating. By the end of your stay they will know your name, and bring you whatever you desire; sometimes without having to ask first. The free snorkel tour that is included is worth the time. They take you to a coral reef and there are many fish. The boat ride around the island that is included could use some improvement.
We did take a tour off the island to visit the eco park Xhel-Ha and visit the Tulum ruins. The ruins were gorgeous and so was Xhel-Ha, but the snorkeling could have been better (very few fish). This tour is expensive and if I had to do it all over again I would have just gone to Tulum.
The rooms at Isla are beautiful, and the maid service was top notch. There is free wireless Internet and the toiletries are replaced daily, including razor and shaving cream, two tooth brushes with toothpaste, and from what my wife tells me, expensive top of the line Biosilk shampoo, conditioner and lotion. The two person Jacuzzi tub and two person shower are WONDERFUL. The only negative with regard to the room was that the TV volume is very low and you can not get rid of the Spanish subtitles. If we ever get another chance to ditch are kids with their grandparent’s, we will definitely return to the Isla Mujeres Palace.

3  Thank splashmountain
Reviewed June 4, 2008

The issue started in just getting to the hotel. We flew in, were bussed to the port, caught a ferry with no A/C (20 minutes), and caught a taxi with no A/C (10 minute wait, 10 minute ride)...meanwhile, my 2 year old was sick from the heat. The hotel does not provide transportation from the ferry to the hotel (which they definitely should). The hotel, itself, was very airy and beautiful. We were greeted with yummy drinks and friendly faces. We told them the baby was sick, so they rushed us to our room and cranked up the A/C. The food was inconsistent, but overall pretty good. Each day hoards of people from Cancun were ferried over from other Palace resorts. I found it ludicrous that we actually paid to be guests at this resort, yet we would go to the pool and have no shade because all of the umbrellas were taken by them, few seats to choose from, no shade or seat on the beach because they took all of that, too, and we would have to wait in line for lunch while these "invaders" piled high 3 plates full of food. It was extremely frustrating and annoying. They were out of there by 3pm each day, but from the a.m. hours until then, there were a mass of "non-guests" there. They had a play area for kids, but the way it was positioned in the hotel, it got no crosswind AT ALL. My little girl would overheat every time, so I would not say that it is "kid friendly." We came to relax in a serene setting, but were not able to with house/techno music blaring the majority of the day...BLARING!! Our quiet dinners were also interrupted by the disco next door blaring until about 10pm. The worst was a wedding that took place at the resort. The ceremony was at sunset, but the reception was on the beach in front of the resort...that would have been fine if the DJ had not blared music until 2:30am!!!!! The rooms are pretty sound proofed to the outdoors, but we heard it loud and clear until 2:30...so much so that it woke our daughter. The staff was SUPER nice and helpful. We had to call a doctor because our daughter started running a bad fever. The front desk told us that the doctor (Dr. Salas) would be right out (9pm). We were amazed at how quickly he got to us. He was very gentle with our little girl, and was just WONDERFUL!! The rooms were nice, although, with a child, the GIANT 2 person bathtub was annoying rather than romantic. We would rather have had the space. The water in the shower would change from warm to scalding hot about every 30 seconds...uggh!! We have stayed at 2 other Mexican resorts that had ant problems, but we didn't see any bugs here. Very clean. I got a massage and a facial from Cynthia...SO GREAT!! It was definitely a zen experience, and spa services were worth the money! The walls in the rooms are paper thin. We were awoken several times in the middle of the night, to our neighbors "having relations." You can't fault them, but the hotel should have done a better job of insulating the walls. It gets really annoying when you are awoken every night by banging on the walls. Anyway, that's all I've got to say. It was nice to get away, but I have stayed at better resorts. They are also pretty new, so maybe they are still trying to work out the kinks.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
7  Thank mommyneedsrest
Reviewed June 3, 2008

I have to start off by saying that the reason I give this a "Terrible" rating was due not to the hotel, but to the properites adjacent to the hotel. The hotel is new, is beautifully decorated, has a wonderful staff, and the rooms are gorgeous. The one/only restaurant was nice but did not seem to be as good as the other Palace Resorts I've been to (Moon, Playacar, Aventura Spa and Vallarta). Because of the noise, my wife and I moved out after one night. We like to go to beach resorts where there are quiet areas where you can get away from the "thumpa thumpa" music (as I call it...strong beat all day long). We like places where there are palapas on the beach where you can read in quiet and listen to the surf and join in the poolside fun when desired. Not possible here. The beach was fairly small had had piers at each end of the property. It may have been 100 yards across but possibly less. The beach was just a few feet away from the hotel pool, which was small, appeared a bit murky, and had music blasting all day long. To the east side of the property is a restuarant the caters to snorkling tour groups, so more music pumping in from there all day long. Finally, in the evening, shortly before 8:00 p.m., when we were eating a quiet dinner on the outside patio (well, the restaurant is all "outside" just that some parts have a roof over them and some not) , a ferry came pulling up to the pier of the property to the west of the resort with at least 200 people on board going to the "Funday" property next door for a very loud outdoor show. That went on for a few hours mixing in with the music from the hotel lobby bar and the wedding they had going on at the resort. I love my loud music...have been to Aerosmith, AC/DC and lots of other loud rock and roll shows (and STILL go) but this was out of hand. There was just no getting away from it and the conflicting music barrages are enough to give you a headache. I strongly recommend that Palace Resorts buy out the Funday property to get rid of this problem (which is well documented in other TripAdvisor reviews of this property). I will not return to the Isla Mujeres Palace until they do something about the music problem. A shame too because it was a beautiful hotel. My wife and I are "Palace Premier" members so we were able to ask to see if we could get into another Palace Resort. I gave them a prioritized list of three and they accomodated us with our first choice, the Playcar Palace. I can only imagine that if others who mentioned this constant irritant in their reviews had the opportunity, they would have left too. I appreciate them for being accomodating on permitting us to move and hope to return when they get the noise situation resolved.

16  Thank Southern MD Traveller
Reviewed May 17, 2008

My new husband and I recently got married here on Good Friday 2008. I have been wanting to write a review since returning from our dream weddingmoon, but could not seem to find the words to describe our time there -- it was incredible.

We married with the water swirling around our feet in the most beautiful setting we could have imagined. Endless thanks to the entire staff and wedding coordinator (Rebeca) who went above and beyond to make sure our day was perfect. It was told to me, before I walked out to meet my new husband, that the staff was picking seaweed, by hand, out of the sand!! Talk about attention to detail! They set up a beautiful gazebo draped with flowing white linen, brought the sound system to the sand, and managed to find a minister that executed a touching, memorable ceremony as he rolled up his pant-legs and led us to the water.

Usually at resorts like this, they treat you like an "assembly line" wedding. Most places do weddings every hour, 6 days a week. Not at the Isla Palace-we were treated like the king and queen of the resort our entire 7-day stay. Days leading up to the ceremony, everyone, from waitstaff, to cooks, to bartenders, to the entertainment staff, and front desk workers continually told us how excited and honored they were to host our wedding. Daniel, the GM, even wrote us a personal letter of thanks. We were the first to marry there.

I have spent some time and detail telling you about our wedding just to prove that the service here is the best. I can't imagine going anywhere else and being treated better. My only hope is that Palace Resorts treats these employees well and pays them a decent salary. They deserve it.

Now onto details:
Rooms: We stayed in 101 -- ask for it -- perfect sunset and ocean views. Rooms were immaculate. Beds were clouds. 24 hour room service a +

Waitstaff -- Hector - #1 -- endless smiles. All were attentive and extremely gracious. One day they did not have guacamole out at the buffet. I asked for it and it was made personally for me.

Food: Fresh, excellent choices, something for everyone. No complaints. Come to dinner hungry.

Entertainment Staff: They work so hard and have a difficult job. It is a small resort (and even though it was spring break, it was at half capacity because it's new). The entertainment staff works hard to liven up a sleepy resort.

Mood: My new husband and I are in our late 20's and we looooved the laid back atmosphere of this resort. Although there are limited options on things to do, less choice is actually more relaxing, I think. Downtown Isla is a short cab ride away. Go to Bar Om.

Down sides: Not many - I've read many reviews of the loud club next door. I actually found it quite entertaining watching the action from a distance. Whatever -- we were all in college once and it is not the resort's fault. I think the Palace Resorts should put more of a quota on guests they allow in from other Palace Resorts. It got a bit busy and I felt bad for the lunchtime staff in the restaurant because they didn't seem to be staffed for these larger numbers of people in the morning and afternoon. These daytrippers, although large in number, actually bring a nice energy to the resort. By mid afternoon they are gone and you have your own private paradise back.

My new husband and I would recommend this resort to anyone who is in the midset to be treated like royality and have a laidback island vacation. The only people I could imagine not having a great time here are teenagers who like more of a social scene. But if you do bring children and teenagers, it is a good opportunity to bond and spend time with them.

Within days of being here, you will be on island time and not want to leave. We miss it and feel blessed to have had one of the most important days of our life here. Thanks to the staff that served strangers like us, with an endless smile.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank funtimes6
Reviewed May 14, 2008

We are Palace Resort Members and wanted to try this particular resort out. We were NOT disappointed. We wanted a relaxing and restful vacation, worry free and that is what we got.
I suggest this resort for the 35+ crowd not traveling with children. There is not much for kids to do on the Island. This is not the "Party Palace", but you surely can get your fill of cocktails and friendly people to talk to.
Be aware that the resort becomes noisy from 7:45 to 10:30pm when a Royal Carribean Tour boat arrives with a couple hundred people to see the show at the resort next to the Palace Resort.
If you are looking for a more active vacation or you have children, I would reccomend staying at one of the other Palace Resorts IN Cancun and taking the ferry over to Isla Mujeres for half a day.

5  Thank WM-Roadrunner
Reviewed May 13, 2008

The Palace resort on Isla Mujeres was fabulous! The accomodations, the gym, the pool, the restaurant were all top notch. However, it is the staff that makes your stay incredible. Since there are only 62 rooms (and only 7 other couples were there the week we were there!) they call you by name, they know what you prefer to drink, they take care of every last detail for you. Hector, Julio, Leo, Jose, Glendy, Francisco and others are part of the reason you will never forget your vacation there. The island itself is gorgeous, with white sandy beaches and ice blue warm waters. The town is quaint and has a charm that you will not find in Cancun. No Mc Donald's, no Starbucks, no Carlos and Charlies- but instead, fresh caught seafood daily, helados from the street vendors and Texas Hold Em in the lobby bar at night. We will DEFINITELY make this our annual getaway spot.

2  Thank ACLTX69
#8 of 176 in Cancun
Secrets The Vine Cancun
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Isla Mujeres Palace? Share your experiences!