“Probably wouldn't go back” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Isla Mujeres Palace

Isla Mujeres Palace
Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Houston
“Probably wouldn't go back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2008

The issue started in just getting to the hotel. We flew in, were bussed to the port, caught a ferry with no A/C (20 minutes), and caught a taxi with no A/C (10 minute wait, 10 minute ride)...meanwhile, my 2 year old was sick from the heat. The hotel does not provide transportation from the ferry to the hotel (which they definitely should). The hotel, itself, was very airy and beautiful. We were greeted with yummy drinks and friendly faces. We told them the baby was sick, so they rushed us to our room and cranked up the A/C. The food was inconsistent, but overall pretty good. Each day hoards of people from Cancun were ferried over from other Palace resorts. I found it ludicrous that we actually paid to be guests at this resort, yet we would go to the pool and have no shade because all of the umbrellas were taken by them, few seats to choose from, no shade or seat on the beach because they took all of that, too, and we would have to wait in line for lunch while these "invaders" piled high 3 plates full of food. It was extremely frustrating and annoying. They were out of there by 3pm each day, but from the a.m. hours until then, there were a mass of "non-guests" there. They had a play area for kids, but the way it was positioned in the hotel, it got no crosswind AT ALL. My little girl would overheat every time, so I would not say that it is "kid friendly." We came to relax in a serene setting, but were not able to with house/techno music blaring the majority of the day...BLARING!! Our quiet dinners were also interrupted by the disco next door blaring until about 10pm. The worst was a wedding that took place at the resort. The ceremony was at sunset, but the reception was on the beach in front of the resort...that would have been fine if the DJ had not blared music until 2:30am!!!!! The rooms are pretty sound proofed to the outdoors, but we heard it loud and clear until 2:30...so much so that it woke our daughter. The staff was SUPER nice and helpful. We had to call a doctor because our daughter started running a bad fever. The front desk told us that the doctor (Dr. Salas) would be right out (9pm). We were amazed at how quickly he got to us. He was very gentle with our little girl, and was just WONDERFUL!! The rooms were nice, although, with a child, the GIANT 2 person bathtub was annoying rather than romantic. We would rather have had the space. The water in the shower would change from warm to scalding hot about every 30 seconds...uggh!! We have stayed at 2 other Mexican resorts that had ant problems, but we didn't see any bugs here. Very clean. I got a massage and a facial from Cynthia...SO GREAT!! It was definitely a zen experience, and spa services were worth the money! The walls in the rooms are paper thin. We were awoken several times in the middle of the night, to our neighbors "having relations." You can't fault them, but the hotel should have done a better job of insulating the walls. It gets really annoying when you are awoken every night by banging on the walls. Anyway, that's all I've got to say. It was nice to get away, but I have stayed at better resorts. They are also pretty new, so maybe they are still trying to work out the kinks.

• Liked — Staff, Pool
  • Disliked — Noise, Travel to and From
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank mommyneedsrest

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Hebrew first
Waldorf, MD
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2008

I have to start off by saying that the reason I give this a "Terrible" rating was due not to the hotel, but to the properites adjacent to the hotel. The hotel is new, is beautifully decorated, has a wonderful staff, and the rooms are gorgeous. The one/only restaurant was nice but did not seem to be as good as the other Palace Resorts I've been to (Moon, Playacar, Aventura Spa and Vallarta). Because of the noise, my wife and I moved out after one night. We like to go to beach resorts where there are quiet areas where you can get away from the "thumpa thumpa" music (as I call it...strong beat all day long). We like places where there are palapas on the beach where you can read in quiet and listen to the surf and join in the poolside fun when desired. Not possible here. The beach was fairly small had had piers at each end of the property. It may have been 100 yards across but possibly less. The beach was just a few feet away from the hotel pool, which was small, appeared a bit murky, and had music blasting all day long. To the east side of the property is a restuarant the caters to snorkling tour groups, so more music pumping in from there all day long. Finally, in the evening, shortly before 8:00 p.m., when we were eating a quiet dinner on the outside patio (well, the restaurant is all "outside" just that some parts have a roof over them and some not) , a ferry came pulling up to the pier of the property to the west of the resort with at least 200 people on board going to the "Funday" property next door for a very loud outdoor show. That went on for a few hours mixing in with the music from the hotel lobby bar and the wedding they had going on at the resort. I love my loud music...have been to Aerosmith, AC/DC and lots of other loud rock and roll shows (and STILL go) but this was out of hand. There was just no getting away from it and the conflicting music barrages are enough to give you a headache. I strongly recommend that Palace Resorts buy out the Funday property to get rid of this problem (which is well documented in other TripAdvisor reviews of this property). I will not return to the Isla Mujeres Palace until they do something about the music problem. A shame too because it was a beautiful hotel. My wife and I are "Palace Premier" members so we were able to ask to see if we could get into another Palace Resort. I gave them a prioritized list of three and they accomodated us with our first choice, the Playcar Palace. I can only imagine that if others who mentioned this constant irritant in their reviews had the opportunity, they would have left too. I appreciate them for being accomodating on permitting us to move and hope to return when they get the noise situation resolved.

• Liked — Beautiful Room
  • Disliked — Non-stop blasting techno music.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
16 Thank Southern MD Traveller
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2008

My new husband and I recently got married here on Good Friday 2008. I have been wanting to write a review since returning from our dream weddingmoon, but could not seem to find the words to describe our time there -- it was incredible.

We married with the water swirling around our feet in the most beautiful setting we could have imagined. Endless thanks to the entire staff and wedding coordinator (Rebeca) who went above and beyond to make sure our day was perfect. It was told to me, before I walked out to meet my new husband, that the staff was picking seaweed, by hand, out of the sand!! Talk about attention to detail! They set up a beautiful gazebo draped with flowing white linen, brought the sound system to the sand, and managed to find a minister that executed a touching, memorable ceremony as he rolled up his pant-legs and led us to the water.

Usually at resorts like this, they treat you like an "assembly line" wedding. Most places do weddings every hour, 6 days a week. Not at the Isla Palace-we were treated like the king and queen of the resort our entire 7-day stay. Days leading up to the ceremony, everyone, from waitstaff, to cooks, to bartenders, to the entertainment staff, and front desk workers continually told us how excited and honored they were to host our wedding. Daniel, the GM, even wrote us a personal letter of thanks. We were the first to marry there.

I have spent some time and detail telling you about our wedding just to prove that the service here is the best. I can't imagine going anywhere else and being treated better. My only hope is that Palace Resorts treats these employees well and pays them a decent salary. They deserve it.

Now onto details:
Rooms: We stayed in 101 -- ask for it -- perfect sunset and ocean views. Rooms were immaculate. Beds were clouds. 24 hour room service a +

Waitstaff -- Hector - #1 -- endless smiles. All were attentive and extremely gracious. One day they did not have guacamole out at the buffet. I asked for it and it was made personally for me.

Food: Fresh, excellent choices, something for everyone. No complaints. Come to dinner hungry.

Entertainment Staff: They work so hard and have a difficult job. It is a small resort (and even though it was spring break, it was at half capacity because it's new). The entertainment staff works hard to liven up a sleepy resort.

Mood: My new husband and I are in our late 20's and we looooved the laid back atmosphere of this resort. Although there are limited options on things to do, less choice is actually more relaxing, I think. Downtown Isla is a short cab ride away. Go to Bar Om.

Down sides: Not many - I've read many reviews of the loud club next door. I actually found it quite entertaining watching the action from a distance. Whatever -- we were all in college once and it is not the resort's fault. I think the Palace Resorts should put more of a quota on guests they allow in from other Palace Resorts. It got a bit busy and I felt bad for the lunchtime staff in the restaurant because they didn't seem to be staffed for these larger numbers of people in the morning and afternoon. These daytrippers, although large in number, actually bring a nice energy to the resort. By mid afternoon they are gone and you have your own private paradise back.

My new husband and I would recommend this resort to anyone who is in the midset to be treated like royality and have a laidback island vacation. The only people I could imagine not having a great time here are teenagers who like more of a social scene. But if you do bring children and teenagers, it is a good opportunity to bond and spend time with them.

Within days of being here, you will be on island time and not want to leave. We miss it and feel blessed to have had one of the most important days of our life here. Thanks to the staff that served strangers like us, with an endless smile.

• Liked — The service and beauty; wedding photographer Antonio was fantastic! Ask for him.
  • Disliked — Can't recall a thing!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank funtimes6
West Milford NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2008

We are Palace Resort Members and wanted to try this particular resort out. We were NOT disappointed. We wanted a relaxing and restful vacation, worry free and that is what we got.
I suggest this resort for the 35+ crowd not traveling with children. There is not much for kids to do on the Island. This is not the "Party Palace", but you surely can get your fill of cocktails and friendly people to talk to.
Be aware that the resort becomes noisy from 7:45 to 10:30pm when a Royal Carribean Tour boat arrives with a couple hundred people to see the show at the resort next to the Palace Resort.
If you are looking for a more active vacation or you have children, I would reccomend staying at one of the other Palace Resorts IN Cancun and taking the ferry over to Isla Mujeres for half a day.

• Liked — No Worries, All Inclusive, All Transfers booked and paid.
  • Disliked — No Quality Evening Entertainment/Shows
5 Thank WM-Roadrunner
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2008

The Palace resort on Isla Mujeres was fabulous! The accomodations, the gym, the pool, the restaurant were all top notch. However, it is the staff that makes your stay incredible. Since there are only 62 rooms (and only 7 other couples were there the week we were there!) they call you by name, they know what you prefer to drink, they take care of every last detail for you. Hector, Julio, Leo, Jose, Glendy, Francisco and others are part of the reason you will never forget your vacation there. The island itself is gorgeous, with white sandy beaches and ice blue warm waters. The town is quaint and has a charm that you will not find in Cancun. No Mc Donald's, no Starbucks, no Carlos and Charlies- but instead, fresh caught seafood daily, helados from the street vendors and Texas Hold Em in the lobby bar at night. We will DEFINITELY make this our annual getaway spot.

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — Beach area a little small
2 Thank ACLTX69
worcestershire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2008

We stayed at Isla Mujeres Palace from March 19-26. This is the perfect place to relax and chill out.

First can I say this was not our 1st, 2nd or even 3rd choice of palace hotel for this holiday but as it turned out we could not have been more pleased .

As previous posters have stated All of the staff were fantastic, the rooms beautiful and the food good.

One of our concerns was that there was only one restaurant (we are used to Moon Palace so lots of choice) no problem the menu is a mixture of Italian, Mexican and Chinese and is changed every other day.

The atmosphere is just so laid back you want to spend all day doing nothing, then you don't even have to think about where you want to eat on an evening.

We watched the fire show from the balcony of our room and was excellent. The Mexican show took place in the restaurant while we had dinner which was nice.

We only left hotel once when we got a golf cart and went into town had a fun day.Had snacks at a small place by the docks and watched the sun go down( The sunset was amazing.)

As others have said yes there is some noise from the disco next door but it was only two nights while we were there and it does not go on late. I have to say it didn't bother us.

The boat people arrive about 9am, most go on tours. Those that stay enjoy the pool or beach areas. (there is more than enough room for everyone).

Isla Mujeres Palace was fantastic glad we found it before it gets to popular. We WILL be returning.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank newfigirl
vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2008

If you want a hotel all for yourself go here. The place is new and it is not always full, it has 62 rooms anyway. The service is second to none ,after the first day most of the staff will know your name. Dario is the best bartender, Eduardo and Jose at reception cant do enough for you. The wait staff is incredible, too many to name. The entertainment crew led by Braulio will have you entertained with some great shows during dinner. During your stay you should rent a golf cart downtown cost 15 per hour or 55 for 24 hours. You can see the whole Island in a few hours and go back to the places you liked and still have time . Town is unspoiled(no McDonalds ,Walmart, Diamonds Intl etc) its the real thing. Two things about the hotel I must tell you about. There is a supper club next door and they have boats trips there 6 nights a week music they play is loud, goes till after 10 some nights. after they leave you can hear a pin drop. Hotel is working on this problem with their Legal dept. (I hope). Second thing is not too bad. The Palace chain brings 3 boats over 6 days a week also. They are here from 9-2:30. gets crowded at the pool and around the grill in the restaurant. Just reserve your beach chairs before they get here and youll be O.K. When they leave youll have the place to yourself. I dont recommend place for kid as there is nothing to do at night. If you are over 40 and want to be alone to read etc go here. If you want to dance and party stay in Cancun.

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — the noise from the club next door
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
#13 of 181 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,594 reviews
Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Isla Mujeres Palace? Share your experiences!