“Full immersion in island culture”
Review of Zina's Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla Mujeres
Zina's Guest House
Ranked #22 of 37 Isla Mujeres B&B and Inns
Dallas TX
“Full immersion in island culture”
Reviewed January 30, 2011

Zina's apartments are a good value for the budget savvy and for those who want to delve deep into island life. Zina is a good source for info. This is a good place to stay for a longer term affordable alternative.

• Stayed January 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed January 14, 2011

I recently stayed with Zina over the New Year's holiday, and I can happily report that it was a terrific experience and a great way to "live" the experience of Christmas and New Year's. Zina has a lot of knowledge and showed me how to appreciate the unique sounds of the street - the knife sharpener who plays the flute to alert the neighborhood of his arrival, the honking of the bread-maker's bicycle horn, the shouts to neighbors upon passing by.

Zina was also appreciative of the fact that I wanted to eat healthy and had her kitchen stocked with ingredients for a good breakfast and also big salads for dinner. She also accompanied me and some friends to a local favorite restaurant where we got a very warm local welcome.

Zina's Guest House is an amazing value for the savvy traveler. It's location in La Gloria is an easy cab ride to the heart of Isla's action, and all I had to do was cross the street to find a corner where the locals hail cabs.

The rooftop patio was my favorite place to sit in the mornings with coffee and some knitting.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank LauraK2P2
Union Pier, Michigan
Reviewed January 6, 2011

I didn't know what to expect since I was travelling alone to Mexico for the first time. Good friends had recommended Zina's Guest House and I was not disappointed!
She is warm, street savvy, clever, resourceful, and just plain cool...what a perfect host. The room was comfortable and clean, the deck view perfect for sipping a brew and people watching. It took me a few days to get used to all the commotion at night but I realized that Isla is a living, breathing real neighborhood....noise, sights, smells and all....Embrace it while you can, no matter what the hour. I would come back in a flash, and recommend it highly to both single travellers and couples.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 3, 2010

After a couple of visits to Isla staying in Centro, my girlfriend and I decided to explore and experience the neighbourhoods, especially La Gloria.

Zina's couldn't have been a better place to stay, and we couldn't have asked for a better host. The apartment was spacious and comfortable, with a huge shared rooftop patio featuring an outdoor bed, hammock, chairs and table.

She stocked a few goodies in our fridge, and took us on a tour of the area on the first day. Zina also invited us along on a couple of outings to some of her favourite places. She was a great source of information about the island.

The location is perfect. Minutes away from a beach, a few blocks away from the grocery store, and surrounded by fantastic -- and cheap -- places to eat.

By the end of our two-week stay, we'd come to recognize and really appreciate the sounds and rhythms of La Gloria, from the tortilla seller cycling by in the morning to the kids playing in streets in the evening.

It was such a refreshing change to be greeted by smiles and greetings on the street, instead of the constant selling of Centro.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KeepCalmCarryOn
Iowa
Reviewed August 2, 2010

My satisfaction with Zina's Guest House is routine. But this time was different: I came for dental work. During my September trip, Zina had a dental appointment with Dr. Canales and we went with her because we were going to go to Miguels's Moon Lite after her appointment for a drink and dinner. I was impressed with his office and knowledge. She later explained the plan he had outlined to repair an implant gone bad.

Zina made an appointment for me and I was sitting in Dr. Canales chair within two hours of landing at the Cancun airport. He explained the procedure and Zina translated. I understood some of the procedure and remembered that he told me he would take two impressions.

Dinner was fish tacos which I had been looking forward to for months. next day, breakfast, beach, shower and back to Dr. Canales office to begin the preparation work for my crown. The first thing I noticed was his preparation of a syringe with local anesthetic, one of the "caines." I made a face and covered my mouth. Dr. Caneles held the syringe with needle pointing to the ceiling and looked at me and nodded his head meaning "Yes you are!" "Open!"

I have never had an experience with Novocaine that was not painful. My eyes tear up and my jaw clenches and it burns terribly. Dr. Canales rubbed my jaw for several moments and then placed the first injection. He rubbed my lower jaw and placed the second. It was totally pain free. I tried to explain to him that "it was a good shot." After working on the tooth he took an impression and told me to come back the next day at the same time.

Zina must have thought I was nuts when I walked into her living room and announced, "I love your dentist." Anu dentist who can give me a poinless injection is my hero. Next day, same routine, beach, shower and back to Dr. Canales. He got outhis syringe again and I opened my mouth before he had a chance to say "Open!" Another two, totally painless injections. That man knows what he is doing.

He reworked the site and made another impression and one of the opposing tooth so my bite would nit be compromised. He explained that he would telephone Zina when the crown was ready to be inserted in my mouth. Eight days from my arrival on Isla, I had my crown. My USA dentist gave me a bid of $845. Dr. Canales charged me $400. That includees four office visits and two impressions and the final crown. Returning in September for periodontal work. Dentistry in Paradise.

Communication was not a problem. Dr. Canales knows the basics of dentistry in English and medical terminology is somewhat universal.

Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
USA
Reviewed July 7, 2010

My husband and I had a wonderful 10 day stay at Zina's. We weren't looking to stay at an expensive beach resort - we wanted a real feel for the island and to stay in the heart of the neighborhood, and that we did! The room was inexpensive and simple, but was everything we were expecting, and Zina was a fantastic host. She took us all over the island and showed us places we would never have found for ourselves. If you're looking for the real Isla experience, stay here!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
California
Reviewed April 8, 2010

It was our second time to the island and we decided to stay out of the resort area to get a better feel and look of Isla ( and we did ). Zina the owner of the guest house is now my island mom. She showed us parts of the island that we had never seen. It was the best time ever. We met so many people, we felt like we were from Isla by the end of our 2 week stay. The second week we stayed at a time share resort but we still found ourselves coming back to Zina's. She is so fun to be around. I love the neighborhood, we had the best grilled chicken, mangos and her dog was so much fun to play with and hang out with because I missed my dogs so much. When we go back to Isla we will stay at Zina's guest house for sure, no doubt. I miss Zina and the island so much!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple