“Great Staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Carey Dive Center

Carey Dive Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Carey Dive Center PADI Dive Resort #23814 is one of the most well-established and experienced dive shops on the island. We specialize in PADI diving courses, families, groups and private trips. We not only offer diving, but also snorkeling, fishing, whale shark tours and cenote excursions. Gilberto Pat Hoil is the PADI scuba dive instructor and owner at Carey Dive Center. He has been awarded by PADI for 20 years of outstanding service. He is one of the most experienced scuba dive instructors in Isla Mujeres.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Brooklyn, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2011

This master divers made me feel comfortable and safe. The staff was fun and very professional.

Visited January 2011
1 Thank 54daisy

Orting, Washington, USA
“Best Dive Trip ever...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2010

Before we left for Isla Mujeres (11/18 through 11/27 2010) I did some checking with my local dive shop for a recommendation as to who to use on Isla for snorkeling and diving. They recommended Carey. I am so glad we used them – They were great. When I emailed Gilberto I told him that we had 2 people that were new to snorkeling and wanted to try it. He was very helpful and recommended a particular dive that sounded perfect (and very reasonably priced). When we came to his shop he remembered me and we made our arrangements. Although Gilberto was unable to come, the guide he sent with us was very knowledgeable and patient. He took us first out to a very shallow area past the Little Lighthouse. Although one of the beginners decided not to get in, the other had a wonderful time. We snorkeled to the lighthouse through thousand of beautiful fish. We then went to a second dive spot which was equally beautiful. My husband and I then arranged to do our first scuba dive with Carey. The training was excellent and our instructor/guide took very good care of us. I think we enjoyed it more than the snorkeling. I highly recommend the Carey Dive Center for those of you who are going to Isla.

New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“PADI Open Water, check. Swimming with whale sharks, check!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2010

I did my OWD with Carey Dive Center and I can say that these guys are very nice people. They take safety very seriously and they work to accommodate to your schedule. Gilberto (the instructor) is very professional, courteous and speaks very good english. Leticia was in charge of explaining the pricing and schedule for my dives and she did a good job without being pushy. Antonio is one of the support guys of the center and he is a sweetheart, even though he’s deaf, he’s very enthusiastic and fun to interact with. We also did the whale shark tour with them and it was an unforgetable experience.

1 Thank colombian
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
“good place for enjoy of the dive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2010

I take my open water course with carey and everythink it was so good,gilbert the instructor speak english very well,he is serious when start the couse and has many years of experience,I recommended this dive shop,the equipment is new also they full the tanks this is good because you don´t need wait for the tanks others companies in the island dont have this,enjoy many of my dives they are very friendly and the most important I dive safe!!!

Kitchener, Canada
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 129 helpful votes
“Great diving with Carey Dive Center”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2009

I made three two-tank dives with Carey Dive Center in November 2009, plus a snorkeling trip (I would have done more but the wind got too heavy to go out). Carey is located in a decent-sized shop on Av. Matamoros, about three blocks north of the ferry terminal, just steps from the beach.

The staff were very willing to tailor the dive programs to our requests, so we did mostly reef diving, with just one wreck, as that's what I enjoy the most. Carey's boats are small (max probably eight divers) and fast, with two good-sized outboard engines. We moored above the Machones reef within about fifteen minutes -- a fabulous improvement from the long rides at Cozumel.

Rodolfo (the divemaster) was great in getting us ready; for the experienced divers, the briefings were short, and we were quickly ready for the backward roll. The reefs were very good, better than I expected, and uncrowded despite the proximity of Cancun (there might typically be one or two other boats on the large reef -- and we never saw other divers under water). Rodolfo was excellent in spotting and showing us reef life, though I didn't need help noticing the full-size bottlenose dolfin that swam by right in front of us! Without Cozumel's strong currents, long travel times and crowding, I found diving Isla Mujeres much more enjoyable.

Rodolfo and the crew took care of rinsing and drying my gear between the dives, so I had to just step onto the boat. Better yet, they had not problem making a stop at Villa Vera, so I could pretty much step out of the hotel room and onto the dive boat.

Overall, an excellent diving experience, both Carey (including all the staff) and Isla Mujeres deserve two thumbs up!

1 Thank tomh009