“Awesome dive shop and very accommodating”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Carey Dive Center

Carey Dive Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Carey Dive Center PADI Dive Resort #23814 is one of the most well-established and experienced dive shops on the island. We specialize in PADI diving courses, families, groups and private trips. We not only offer diving, but also snorkeling, fishing, whale shark tours and cenote excursions. Gilberto Pat Hoil is the PADI scuba dive instructor and owner at Carey Dive Center. He has been awarded by PADI for 20 years of outstanding service. He is one of the most experienced scuba dive instructors in Isla Mujeres.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Phoenix, Arizona
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Awesome dive shop and very accommodating”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

Gilberto went out of his way to squeeze us in for an afternoon dive. We arrived at Isla Mujeres not knowing if we would snorkel or scuba but were easily convinced to go out with this very experienced crew. We also liked knowing that other dive shops had their equipment serviced at the center. Rudolpho, our dive master, took just my husband and I out to Atlantis reef. We saw a turtle, a sting ray, lobsters, barracuda, huge schools of colorful fish and some of the most beautiful corral we've ever seen. The water can get choppy so make sure you enquire about diving as soon as you're there so you don't miss out!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Safariranger

Pembroke Pines, Florida
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Diving/snorkeling with CAREY DIVE Center”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

They are the BEST by far!!!!! My travelin' companion only snorkels. I dive--well a little anyway. The guys at CAREY were SO knowledgeable. A gal from the USA who lives part of her life in Isla Mujeres annually , came with us and stayed with me. She, also was wonderful! She was totally empowering, telling us what to do rather than just doing it herself. We went on tours with others in Cancun, Cozumel, and Playa del Carmen. NONE even came close to being as totally helpful, informative and intent on giving us a positive experience. After being with the staff at Carey, any water trip after that was inferior to the experience they provided for us. We were so happy in Isla we gave up our pricey resort in Cancun for a night and let the guys at Cary find us a cheap (perfect for our needs) hotel for the night. It took them 2 minutes to return with "Is $35.00 a night OK?" Again-these guys and the American gal who helps out, are never just out for the money; but truly careful about safety and about providing the best experience possible--every time. Will definitely look them up next year. They were the BEST part of our entire trip!!!!! Thank you to each of them!!!

1 Thank mona6319
Saint Paul, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

This is our second year in a row in Isla and we have already booked for next year. One of the main reasons for returning was Gilberto and his staff at Carey DIve Center. There are plenty of dive shops on the island and I had the unfortunate incident of trying one out before I found Carey. Gilberto was an excellent teacher and helped my wife complete her under skills test to complete her open water course. He has always been very accommodating and has taken me on some of the best dives I have ever experienced. We have already booked a return trip next year to Isla and can't wait to get back in the water. You are a fool to dive with anybody else!

1 Thank Alan L
Tomball
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Would never dive with anyone else”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

I have been diving on Isla for 14 years with many different dive companies. I have seen them come and go. I have had some good and bad experiences on the island. I found Giberto about 4 years ago and will never use anyone else. He and his staff are always polite, prompt, knowledgable, and attentive your needs. This was especially true this last spring break when my fried Jay and I decided to introduce our 4 sons to scuba. We each have 2 ages 15 and 12. The older ones had gone once before with Gilberto and it was amazing. Gilberto and his staff spent all the time necessary to make sure our sons were ready and prepared for there first dive in the ocean. Although they all are water bugs, it's very different in the ocean on your first dive. They were extremely patient throughout and both dives were excellent. Our boys can't wait until we return to Isla this summer to dive again. They helped instill a love and respect for the sport and the beautiful sites we visited underwater. We have already made plans to return and have all 4 boys get their dive training with Carey Dive Center. Thank you Gilberto. Hope to see you again soon.

2 Thank David F
KittyMoPink, Public Relations Manager at Carey Dive Center, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Thanks for your review! We are happy you had a good time diving with us. See you again soon!
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Excellent Diving and Facilities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

I dive with Carey in March. They were a great dive centre. The centre is organised well, even with lockers for your dive kit, the boat is across the road. The kit was all organised and carried for me. Gilberto and Rudolfo were enthusiastic guides. The dive centre was very responsive to my many emails. I did the underground museum - a cool experience and some reefs. The night dive with turtles is a must and after all these years it's in the top 10 of my dives ever. I highly recommend these guys.

1 Thank jonssey