“PADI shop - Location, responsive, professional - Excellent”
Review of Carey Dive Center

Carey Dive Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Carey Dive Center PADI Dive Resort #23814 is one of the most well-established and experienced dive shops on the island. We specialize in PADI diving courses, families, groups and private trips. We not only offer diving, but also snorkeling, fishing, whale shark tours and cenote excursions. Gilberto Pat Hoil is the PADI scuba dive instructor and owner at Carey Dive Center. He has been awarded by PADI for 20 years of outstanding service. He is one of the most experienced scuba dive instructors in Isla Mujeres.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My spouse & I completed our AOW with Gilberto & the crew and then booked several additional dives over a 2 week period. 1 - they are literally across the street from the dive boats so no hiking through town in scuba gear to get to the boat. 2 - They carry the tanks & b.c.d.'s to the boat for you so again, no lugging heavy gear. 3 - Gear is in good shape, no worn, frayed or broken parts. 4 - pricing is very good. 5 - flexible on booking dives to fit our schedule 6 - and this is the icing on the cake for me...as a new diver I was a bit nervous about our first ocean dive they pay attention to your skill & comfort level

Gilberto listened to me and *heard* me and adjusted our dives to meet my comfort and confidence level. Additionally, he watched and saw that my spouse was having issues equalizing. Gilberto again, was very professional and adjusted our dives to accomodate a slower or llne assisted descent to allow time for him to equalize.

We were never rushed, groups were very small 4 - 5 divers. Our dive master Rudolpho was very good about pointing out some things I could do to be a more efficient diver and taught me about different kick techniques when skimming near bottom. He also was great about finding and pointing out marine life we might have missed.

Both Gilberto & Rudolpho speak english well and we were easily able to communicate!

The boat operators were attentive, helpful and spoke enough english that we could communicate.

I absolute would and will book with Carey again on our next trip to Isla.

KittyMoPink, Public Relations Manager at Carey Dive Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Thanks for your review! It's great to hear your positive feedback. Look forward to diving with you again soon!

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Carey DIve Center are amazing - and definitely the people to dive with during your time on Isla Mujeres. They are super kind, well qualified, knowledgeable and flexible to each person's needs. They go out of their way to make sure you will have a dive experience you enjoy, whatever your diving experience. Gilberto is the ultimate in customer service, the dive groups are small - you feel very welcome from the moment you step in the shop - as if nothing is too much trouble. Thanks Gilberto, Big Berto, Antonio, Rudolfo - you are the best and hope to see you again soon!

KittyMoPink, Public Relations Manager at Carey Dive Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write us a review! We are pleased you had a great time diving with Gilberto and Carey Dive Center. Please come and see us again soon!

Reviewed August 23, 2013

I got to Carey for scuba diving in the underwater museum and it was amazing.
All the staff there treated me and my wife in an impressive way, they made ​​sure that everything is fine, the diving equipment, our own stuff.
The guide who was with me was patient, funny and very professional.

I'm highly recommend! I'm enjoyed every minute :-)

Thank you for your review! We are really happy you had a good time diving with us!

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We came back to Isla Mujeres and used Carey Dive for our dive trip in August of 2013. We have used them for several years. Always had fun! Gilberto and the guys are great. We have been there enough times they seem like old friends. The dives are varied between shallow dives on the Cancun side, great for begineers, lots of fish, and deeper dives on the north and the east side, nice bottom structure. No current to speak of, except at Punta Sur, it makes a great drift dive! Wrecks dives are availabe, several different type of wrecks and differnt depths. The night dives are great, lots of turtles, octopus and eels. We enjoy the dives and the people. People are what makes it special! We keep coming back!

2  Thank mhillpecmo
KittyMoPink, Public Relations Manager at Carey Dive Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2013

Thanks for your review! We are really glad you had another enjoyable trip to Isla Mujeres and fun with Carey Dive Center!

Reviewed August 15, 2013

After spending sometime in Cancun for a certification (Advanced Open Water or Open Water II) last June (see another review I posted on the subject), I headed to the small island of Isla Mujeres just across.

I must confess, it was not my 1st time diving with Carey Dive Center. I had discovered this shop and his very cool team on previous trips, just did not have the opportunity to review before.

Nevertheless, it was great to see them again and made some very fun dives. One of several things to consider about them : the personalized and friendly service, which is amongst what most divers look for. At Carey's, Gilberto (the owner) makes sure that his clients enjoy their adventure and that everything is taken care of. It's a smaller shop compared to some big ones in Cancun or Cozumel, but there are 2 other guides Rodolfo and "Beto", which are also competent and friendly. So you have far better chances to be able to go out every day, wheather permitting of course...They know the area very well and can bring you to some exciting dive sites. Night dive was lots of fun too, it's a different experience that I recommend to the qualified fellow divers out there.

Gilberto and team are very attentive, passionate about their sport and safety minded, all for your best comfort and enjoyment. They don't just "take you out for the good of their business" (Know what I mean ?). Much much fun to dive with them. For those not certified, the whale shark snorkeling tour is really worth it.

KittyMoPink, Public Relations Manager at Carey Dive Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Thanks for your review! It's good to hear you had a great experience with Carey Dive Center!